Need a quad core cpu for Asus p5b

Mike89

Gawd
My daughter's aging P5B (used to be mine) still has a dual core cpu in it. I'd like to upgrade it to a good quad core but they are too expensive new (costs as much as a current new cpu).

Mike89

Gawd
I know. Newegg doesn't even sell them anymore. I've been looking on ebay and am surprised what some people want for them. I hope they get what they want cause in a couple more years they won't be worth a penny.

Mike89

Gawd
I'm not sure about a q9300. I'd want something that would overclock at least to 3.2 - 3.4 ghz range. The p5b dlx right now is running a E6600 (dual core) at 3.5 ghz. If I switch this out I want to make sure I'm not going down in performance. I've looked at a q9650 but forget about that one, everyone wants an arm and a leg for it. The q6700 is a little cheaper. The q9400 and q9300 I have to read a little more on cause those are a little lower performance cpu's.

Last edited:

JordanCL

[H]ard|Gawd
I just sold a q9450 for ~110 and I saw a q9550 going for around 150 just to give you an expected price range.

Mike89

Gawd
I bought the Q9550 from cyberkost. Looking forward to testing it out when it gets here.

mope54

Supreme [H]ardness
Let me know what you get it up to. I have a q9450 that was doing 3.4 with ease on stock voltages and air and I'd like to know what I should price it at.

Mike89

Gawd
I couldn't get the Q9550 to even let me into the BIOS with the P5B Dlx. Luckily my son still had a dual core on a Asus P5Q. I let him try it on his system and it booted right up. He's currently running it at 3.5 gig at stock voltage. I ended up getting a Q6700 that worked with the P5B. It was a bit finicky though and I can only get 3.2 gig with it and I still occasionally get a bsod once in awhile.

HSADJADI

Limp Gawd
I couldn't get the Q9550 to even let me into the BIOS with the P5B Dlx. Luckily my son still had a dual core on a Asus P5Q. I let him try it on his system and it booted right up. He's currently running it at 3.5 gig at stock voltage. I ended up getting a Q6700 that worked with the P5B. It was a bit finicky though and I can only get 3.2 gig with it and I still occasionally get a bsod once in awhile.
BSEL mod it and call it a day. Those chips were finicky past 3.2 anyways. Fantastic when BSEL modded with just a tiny bit of electrical tape. no messing with ram speed or timings. Less stress on NB too.

Mike89

Gawd
BSEL mod it and call it a day. Those chips were finicky past 3.2 anyways. Fantastic when BSEL modded with just a tiny bit of electrical tape. no messing with ram speed or timings. Less stress on NB too.
I didn't know what that was and just did a little research on a BSEL. Way too much work for my impatient ass. I don't have the steady hands or the patience to attempt something like that.

Last edited: