Need a PCIe wireless card for gaming

Rob94hawk

2[H]4U
Build a new socket 1151 gaming rig for my daughter. Need a wireless PCIe card for it since she can't hard wire it due to location.

It's running Windows 10.

If it matters I have to ask her what router she is using and what company.

Recommendations? Thanks

Grab a set of powerline adapters IMO. But if you are set on Wi-Fi, hopefully it is 802.11ac at least and I would say grab one of the Asus PCI-E cards from a quick Newegg search.

Is there a specific reason you want a wifi card inside a huge source of wireless interference? I truly don't understand people's obsession for internal wireless cards with inferior antennas that get stuffed on the floor touching a wall all while using resources!

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-AC-Universal-Connector-WUMC710/dp/B0090DX8O8

No drivers, no extra resources used, no stupid windows wifi manager to connect and disconnect on sleep. You can place it wherever you get the best signal. Not to mention you get more than 1 connection so now your TV, Xbox and PS4 now have 802.11AC too.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do verify the router and what it really supports before buying anything. Would suck to buy the PCIe card only to find out she doesn't have a WiFi router. May find that Step 1 is a router firmware update.

Get a card that supports a remote external antenna. That way the antenna can be clear of the large RF shielded PC case.

Might want to run a WiFi scan of her place. Find out how many other WiFi signals there are and what kind.

Grab a set of powerline adapters IMO.
Seconded.. Gaming and wifi are mutually exclusive terms just about. Wifi is extra latency and a bunch of other fun stuff like interference causing dropped packets.

If you don't mind paying a bit more, I recommend getting MoCA adapters. They use the coax in your house. Much better performance than powerline. Unless you're on cable internet, then MoCA might cause issues.
Also if you're on DSL, poweline adapters can cause problems with DSL.

You already have suggestions that match your requirements exactly, however, I have another option for you. I actually use refurbished wireless AC routers from eBay which I flash to DD-WRT and set to client bridge mode. The performance with this setup is excellent (for wireless) and you can even plug in additional hardwired devices to the client bridge to extend the network to hard to reach areas. I've been finding routers for $30-40 (Netgear r6300 v2, specifically) and I also have the Linksys WUMC710 which is linked above as well. The routers perform better and are much cheaper.

Back