Need a NOD 32 alternative.

BrandonB

2[H]4U
Hi,

As much as I love NOD 32, I don't love it enough to spend $30 a year to keep receiving updates. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a "one time fee" type of deal. I'd like it to be just as good as NOD 32, but I doubt there's many out there that can really compete.

So, I come here, and I ask you, what's a good alternative? Oh and McAfee and Norton is completely off the table, so don't even mention it.

AVGfree is damn good. I've been using it for years, for free. Gave it to my entire family and friends.

avg is probably your best bet, but i love eset smart security more than any other security suite and of course nod32 over any other one

comodo do an A/V app as well as their fantastic firewall.
the a/v is in public beta but is still very good

You can't beat Nod32. What other AV app is going to give you more than 1 update per day?

They pay more attention to viruses on my computer than my girlfriend pays to me. :eek:

maybe because you pay more attention to your computer then you do to her :)

depends where you go, some sites say nod32 is the best, others it is the worst...

because they dont beleive the "hype" as flava flav would say.

alot of people use nod32, and claim it as awsome! i have used many av's and since i have never gotten viruses, i can say they are all awsome as well then.

You can't beat Nod32. What other AV app is going to give you more than 1 update per day?

Quite a few, actually. The two I'm most familiar with, Kaspersky and Trend Micro, both do multiple updates daily.

Kaspersky has never failed me. NOD32 on the other hand... Though I do maintain a license for both, I am using Kaspersky at the moment. No product is flawless. I hope the NOD32 v3 gets better at some point. It still needs work.

Kaspersky has never failed me. NOD32 on the other hand... Though I do maintain a license for both, I am using Kaspersky at the moment. No product is flawless. I hope the NOD32 v3 gets better at some point. It still needs work.

I don't like v3. Unfortunately I don't know how to revert back to 2.7 because I don't have that install file anymore. :(

Only problem I've ever found with NOD32 is that when you both it and Trojan Hunter on your system. When TH is set to run scans automatically, NOD32 generates false positives during the scan. But then TH thinks Magic Jellybean Keyfinder is a trojan.

AVGfree is damn good. I've been using it for years, for free. Gave it to my entire family and friends.

It is easily the worst of the three major AV packages... it misses a ton of things compared to Avast! and Avira and there's no way in hell it give it to any of my family. I've scanned many ABG -protected systems with Kaspersky to find all manner of nasties on there, including some serious trojans. It's rubbish.

Avast! is the best all-round free version. NOD32 is the best price/performance paid-for package. Kaspersky has the best detection/removal engine in the business, yet slightly slower performance. Personally I use NOD32.

Really? You must not know much about PC's then if you get lots of "nasties" and Trojans on your PC. I've been using AVG Free for years and have never had any "nasties" or Trojans on any of my PC's. I've used Avast too andn never found it any better. It has extra features that may give better protection but I found their plugin that protected your web browser just slowed my browsing experience down. I like AVG because it is unobtrusive and light on resources. I found Avast too obtrusive fro my liking. Same can be said for that Commodo Firewall that someone up above mentioned. 3rd party firewalls are ok if you like to be annoyed by false alerts that just make most users more paranoid than they need to be. IMO, you don't need anything more than the Windows firewall and a router with NAT for a home PC.

Really? You must not know much about PC's then if you get lots of "nasties" and Trojans on your PC.

Yeah, I now work as IT for one of the biggest accountancy companies in the world, not to mention my previous job working for an anti-virus company for 2 years... and obviously know very little about PC's or security. Grow up. ;)

I switched to NOD32 once I installed Vista because even though I have never run in to a virus in my life, still rather have something protect me. The trial of NOD32 is nice and will probably end up buying once it expires, however I never ran the Windows firewall under XP but have in Vista and actual don't notice it being to annoying and popping up every time something connect, I dunno if that is good or bad? Still works so that's all I care about. :)

My consulting company used NOD32. It wasn't a bad product. For home use, I'll stick with AVGFree. :)

The major issue with any antivirus is how much it degrades system performance while protecting your system from viruses. Kaspersky is notorious for being very heavy on the system, meaning that your computer is already screwed performance wise even if you never get a virus on it. If that's the case, why bother with the AV to begin with?

Nod32 is light and secure. Absolute top quality product.

Back