Need a new video card by next Tuesday, choices are 5700XT or 2060 Super (yuck to both), which one for WoW?

I needed something to complete my build and this was the best I could do.
I contemplated going super cheap but I didn’t want to have worse GPU performance than I did in my old rig, even if only temporarily.

If I can’t get $300 for it when I can get my hands on a 20gb card, then I’ll probably give it to my girlfriend and pass on the 980ti in her machine to a friend. I wonder how much of a bottleneck a 3770K at 4.4ghz would be to a 2080?

the 3770k will still do really well in some games. In some very well threaded games you might get some occasional frame time issues. I put together really cheap systems for kids to play games and do homework on. You'd be surprised how well old sandy bridges and ivy bridges do in games today.

the 3770k will still do really well in some games. In some very well threaded games you might get some occasional frame time issues. I put together really cheap systems for kids to play games and do homework on. You'd be surprised how well old sandy bridges and ivy bridges do in games today.
The 3770K is 8 years old now. The 980TI it’s currently feeding is 5 years old. This combo is playing WoW on Ultra settings and maintaining 60FPS @ 1440p, so I’ve definitely gotten my money’s worth. I wonder how long the components will last?

I need a video card to finish up a new build so my girlfriend and I can game together. Ideally I’d get a 3080 because I’d like to play on my 75” 4K tv, and I also plan to get a 34” or 38” Ultrawide sometime soon. Everyone here knows I probably won’t be getting a 3080 anytime soon, so I’ve had to look for alternatives... and it got depressing quickly.

The 2080, in any flavor, is listed above the MSRP of the 3080, so I can’t buy one of those on principal alone. The 2070 is sold out most places, and overpriced when not. The 2060S is the only Nvidia card I can find in stock and not being sold for more than when it was first released.

On the AMD side, they only currently have one card that’s an upgrade from the 5 year old 980TI in my old rig, and it’s the 5700xt.

Both the 5700xt and 2060S would be around $450 after tax 🤢🤮

Which one of these temporary solutions would you buy if you knew you’d want to be reselling it The 5700xt seems to be the more popular of the two, but the 2060S actually beats it in some benchmarks.

The main game we’ll be playing is WoW but once I have a modern rig again, I’d also like to play some shooters.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The 5700XT is a good card. I bought the Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT back in May and I haven't experience any of the problems that were reported, outside of one game just refusing to boot up, which has since been fixed. A lot of the 1-2 star reviews you see on the 5700XT were from early adopters, people who bought before AMD got their drivers working properly. Pairs up well with my 2560x1440 freesync 2 monitor that can do 120hz 10-bit or 144hz 8-bit + FRC, I chose the 120hz option.

Games that I'm currently playing along with performance are:

Kingdoms of Amular Re-Reckoning getting between 89-120 FPS with 25% upscaling and all settings on max.
Assassin's Creed Odyssey I'm getting between 60-70 FPS with most settings on high-ultra, with volumetric clouds on I believe medium.
Red Dead Redemption 2 at medium-high getting between 60-70 FPS.
Other games I play are older/easier on the GPU: Hades, Borderlands 2, and Persona 4 Golden I'm rocking a solid 120FPS across the board, with the occasional dip to 119 for some odd reason or other.

It's a solid 1440p card, another thing to consider is AMD always throws in free games. I got Resident Evil 3, Monster Hunter World: Iceborn both which, to me, are worth $40 each at most, and 3 months of Game Pass, but since I have GP Ultimate I only got 2 free months. If you were to include that value along with the $440 I paid for the card it turned to be more like $330 with the free stuff included. Right now their promotion comes with WoW: Shadowlands, and a game called Godfall. If you haven't bought Shadowlands yet there's that option.

Just as an FYI, just finished building my buddy's PC. Ran with a 10700K for the CPU and decided to pick up an MSI 5700XT from BB at around $400 bucks. Thinking that if the soon to be drops (3070 and AMD cards) suck due to supply, we can run with the 5700XT until Jan (Extended return period).

Installed and loaded drivers. We were able to run WoW at 7-8 settings very smooth on a 3440x1440 AOC monitor, Freesync enabled at 144hz. Card seems to be pretty good based on price point and the performance we're looking for. He mainly plays WoW.

I did consider getting 5700XT from somewhere with a holiday return policy but I’m curious to see what ray tracing looks like in WoW and this will allow me to do that.

Whatever hit I take when it comes time to sell I’ll just consider an R&D cost.

I did consider getting 5700XT from somewhere with a holiday return policy but I’m curious to see what ray tracing looks like in WoW and this will allow me to do that.

Whatever hit I take when it comes time to sell I’ll just consider an R&D cost.
I also came from a 980ti but it started getting green squares so was basically dying back in December and ended up with a 5700xt for about $450 (reference & waterblock combo) via ebay.

When it comes to price/performance it's an amazing card. It's only rivaled by the 3080 in price/performance in 4k.

Even have a Ryzen/Hackintosh with it on the side. Ebay is the cheapest option and Best Buy is the easiest return possibility. Good Luck fellow 980 ti brother!

Get a 5700xt. You get Shadowlands for free.
I already had Shadowlands preordered. Free would have been good though.

I’m happy with the 2080 I ended up getting. It’ll hold me over well enough. I think I’ll probably keep this until 20gb cards are available.

Back