Need a new video card by next Tuesday, choices are 5700XT or 2060 Super (yuck to both), which one for WoW?

xMAGIUSx

Weaksauce
I need a video card to finish up a new build so my girlfriend and I can game together. Ideally I’d get a 3080 because I’d like to play on my 75” 4K tv, and I also plan to get a 34” or 38” Ultrawide sometime soon. Everyone here knows I probably won’t be getting a 3080 anytime soon, so I’ve had to look for alternatives... and it got depressing quickly.

The 2080, in any flavor, is listed above the MSRP of the 3080, so I can’t buy one of those on principal alone. The 2070 is sold out most places, and overpriced when not. The 2060S is the only Nvidia card I can find in stock and not being sold for more than when it was first released.

On the AMD side, they only currently have one card that’s an upgrade from the 5 year old 980TI in my old rig, and it’s the 5700xt.

Both the 5700xt and 2060S would be around $450 after tax 🤢🤮

Which one of these temporary solutions would you buy if you knew you’d want to be reselling it The 5700xt seems to be the more popular of the two, but the 2060S actually beats it in some benchmarks.

The main game we’ll be playing is WoW but once I have a modern rig again, I’d also like to play some shooters.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Add a $675 after tax 2070 Super to the list.
Those are the three options I have for in-stock cards.

None seem like good buys, but I can’t game on Intel integrated graphics. Need to order something by tomorrow.

Are you against used? You could get a 1080ti for $350 which i'd rather have over any of those cards you mentioned.
I had to create a new account here since I hadn’t logged in for years and couldn’t remember my old credentials. I can’t currently use the FS/FT forum here. 1080TIs are going for more than $350 on eBay right now, or I might have gone that route.

I will admit, I am a little nervous about spending $350+ on a 3 year old video card that may have been overclocked it’s whole life. I think I’d buy one from a forum member, but not eBay. I’d prefer new, but at the end of the day I just want to be able to game on the new rig.

Wait for Wed evga mid week sales, 2080/s were going for 450, possibly less next week. Hell may get one myself ...
I would gladly jump on one for that price. Is this an every Wednesday thing? I could go a few days without gaming if it meant getting a 2080s instead of a 2060s for the same price.

Yep, and while some models go fast, it's not the bot 10 sec madness either. Their 2080 tis have been inching close to 700, tempted to pick one up and call it quits till next year. BB also has had 2070s in stock pretty regularly.

Yep, and while some models go fast, it's not the bot 10 sec madness either. Their 2080 tis have been inching close to 700, tempted to pick one up and call it quits till next year. BB also has had 2070s in stock pretty regularly.
I’m going to hold out until next Wednesday then. Hopefully I’ll be able to get some decent from their sale, or at the very least a 2070S for $500 from Best Buy instead of $638 from Amazon.

Thanks for the tips!

There's 5700xt's on newegg for ~375 after rebate.

I don't see the hate for the 5700xt, it's closer to the 2070 super than the 2060 super in terms of performance.

Overclocked 1080ti vs overclocked 5700xt = no perceptible difference in performance for me.

I don't see the hate for the 5700xt, it's closer to the 2070 super than the 2060 super in terms of performance.

Overclocked 1080ti vs overclocked 5700xt = no perceptible difference in performance for me.

I did see the MSI that is $375+tax after rebate on Newegg but the reviews weren't very promising. 39% were 1 or 2 stars.

I'd be ok with using a 5700XT as I know it will do the job until I get my new monitor. That being said, I know I'm going to want to sell whatever band-aid card I buy right now when I'm able to get my hands on something better, so I want to keep resale value in mind. NVIDIA stuff appears to have better second-hand value right now so I'm leaning that way.

I did see the MSI that is $375+tax after rebate on Newegg but the reviews weren't very promising. 39% were 1 or 2 stars.

I'd be ok with using a 5700XT as I know it will do the job until I get my new monitor. That being said, I know I'm going to want to sell whatever band-aid card I buy right now when I'm able to get my hands on something better, so I want to keep resale value in mind. NVIDIA stuff appears to have better second-hand value right now so I'm leaning that way.

Makes sense. Good luck with your decision! I've used 2060s in builds for people and they're stout little cards for sure. DLSS definitely makes them more viable.

All other things considered, as a stop gap card, I agree the Nvidia will probably hold it's resale value better vs the 5700 XT. That said, I'd expect that value to drop once the 3070 shows up.

All other things considered, as a stop gap card, I agree the Nvidia will probably hold it's resale value better vs the 5700 XT. That said, I'd expect that value to drop once the 3070 shows up.
Anything I buy now is going to drop in value soon, but I need a card to game. It’s terrible timing for building a new system right now. Nothing I can do about that, I’m just trying to make the best of things.

I’m getting tired of looking and might just try to find a used 980TI. They are cheaper than the 1070 on the used market and the one is able to maintain 60FPS in WoW at 2550x1440 in my rig with a 3770K @ 4.4ghz.

Every other option I’m being presented doesn’t feel like money well-spent right now.

I’m going to sit back and be patient and wait for better card availability.

Anything I buy now is going to drop in value soon, but I need a card to game. It’s terrible timing for building a new system right now. Nothing I can do about that, I’m just trying to make the best of things.

I’m getting tired of looking and might just try to find a used 980TI. They are cheaper than the 1070 on the used market and the one is able to maintain 60FPS in WoW at 2550x1440 in my rig with a 3770K @ 4.4ghz.

Every other option I’m being presented doesn’t feel like money well-spent right now.

I just bought a 980 TI SC off of here 2 weeks ago for $175 shipped. Start a WTB thread in the for sale subforum. Today's prices on video cards are oooofff, can't blame you OP.

Not a bad way to go if you can get it cheap and are only really concerned about playing WoW with it. Current prices on 2 year old cards right now are stoopid.

20-series cards are still selling at their 2018 MSRPs at my local Micro Center...assuming you can find any of them above the 2060 non-Super. That's just dumb.

I just bought a 980 TI SC off of here 2 weeks ago for $175 shipped. Start a WTB thread in the for sale subforum. Today's prices on video cards are oooofff, can't blame you OP.

That’s a good price. I won’t be able to use the For Sale subforum for a while. I’ve been away from the forum for so long that I had to create a new account. Last time I was here there were some great deals to be had there, so I’m trying not to browse it until I can actually buy what’s being offered.

I’m eyeing a couple of eBay auctions right now. Something sub $200 would be great since I’ll buying a new card sometime on the next few months (when they are actually available).

That’s a good price. I won’t be able to use the For Sale subforum for a while. I’ve been away from the forum for so long that I had to create a new account. Last time I was here there were some great deals to be had there, so I’m trying not to browse it until I can actually buy what’s being offered.

I’m eyeing a couple of eBay auctions right now. Something sub $200 would be great since I’ll buying a new card sometime on the next few months (when they are actually available).

I don't know how well an RX 580 will play your game but those might do the trick.....oops 1440P, yeah probably not.

Not a bad way to go if you can get it cheap and are only really concerned about playing WoW with it. Current prices on 2 year old cards right now are stoopid.

20-series cards are still selling at their 2018 MSRPs at my local Micro Center...assuming you can find any of them above the 2060 non-Super. That's just dumb.
Exactly. That’s crazy. I’m mad at myself for even considering it. I don’t know what I was thinking. I guess I was just getting desperate for something since I have the rest of my build sitting here waiting.

For now, WoW is all that concerns me because it gives me a chance to game with my girlfriend. I would like to play some shooters but I can wait a few months for those.

I know it all could change with the new cards but right now the 980TI seems like the best bang for the buck for me. For some reason it seems like it’ll be easier to resell than a 1070, despite them offering similar performance. There are a lot of 1070’s sitting without bids on eBay right now which makes me hesitant to chose one. I want to get as much as possible out of whatever I buy when it comes time to sell.

Get the 2060S and make sure it's an EVGA from an authorized retailer. Step up to the 3080 immediately and wait. that'll kill 2 birds with one stone.
That is tempting. Do I have to wait until a 3080 becomes available before I can step up? Would all flavors of the 3080 be available for step up if I bought the 2060S? If so, this might be the winning solution. I could even wait for the 3070 launch to initiate the step up to see if it better served my needs.

The hate is that it’s AMD, and people who haven’t owned an ATI card since the Rage 128 want you to know that their drivers suck.

That is tempting. Do I have to wait until a 3080 becomes available before I can step up? Would all flavors of the 3080 be available for step up if I bought the 2060S? If so, this might be the winning solution. I could even wait for the 3070 launch to initiate the step up to see if it better served my needs.
So as of right now, the only option for step up on the 3080 and 3090 is to the FTW ultra version (likely because it's the highest markup)

For the step-up program, the model choices are limited, so it may change down the road, but basically if you were to get it now, you could "get in line" for a 3080 when stock becomes available for step-up. You basically have 90 days from purchase to decide to step up, once you're in line for it, if it goes beyond 90 days, you don't have to worry unless you cancel the step-up for some reason.

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

So as of right now, the only option for step up on the 3080 and 3090 is to the FTW ultra version (likely because it's the highest markup)

For the step-up program, the model choices are limited, so it may change down the road, but basically if you were to get it now, you could "get in line" for a 3080 when stock becomes available for step-up. You basically have 90 days from purchase to decide to step up, once you're in line for it, if it goes beyond 90 days, you don't have to worry unless you cancel the step-up for some reason.

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Seems to be a moot point now as all 2060 Supers have gone out of stock or are $700. I quit for today.

If you need something right away, the evga 2060 KO is a pretty decent card and is widely available for around 300. It's about 55-60% of a 2080 ti performance wise.

did you preorder the wow expansion? Because I see a few 5600xt and 5700xt models on newegg that includes it as a freebie

Do not buy from NE, with Amazon and BB you have extended returns going into January. NE has shitty no return policy on everything now.

I bought an eVGA 2070 Super FTW3 from amazon and immediately entered the step up queue for the 3080 FTW3 Ultra on 09/23 when it got here.

As long as you buy new from an authorized retailer you have 90 days to step up. Once you’re in the step up queue you’re in until you get your step up unless you cancel regardless of how many days you’re in queue for.

I mostly just play wow at 1440p using a 144hz monitor but will do cyberpunk once it’s out as well. I’d suggest finding any EVGA card and stepping up if you like. There’s a good chance at the end of the month that 3070s will also be part of the step up program as well.

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
There were 2060 and 2070 earlier on Amazon and BB. Decided to rent a 2070 s from BB just in case it does take them till jan to get a 3xxx in my hands, have the 10% off birthday month on a couple of accounts but nothing to use it on
thanks to Nv and BB, so 449 plus tax is the deposit I paid. Amazon had a used like new gigabyte 2070 non S for 367 which is a decent deal in and off itself.. doubtful my 2060 KO step up comes before the return period is over in 2 weeks. Still hoping I get something permanent by end of month but figured a 2070s is a much better mate to my 38 UW than the 2060.

I think many folks are now buying backups for holidays given what we have seen so far, esp folks who let their 2080/tis go early and cheap into the Ampere hypetrain.

In a normal year I would not have bothered with a backup but this is 2020 and for all we know thanks to sneaker bots, a whole army of bots and at home folks think GPUs are the new dumbbell/TP so this may take a while.

Evga b stock 2080s are up, apparently they were a bunch of supers too for 450 earlier. I'd suggest getting one if you want to keep it, they have restocking fees and given the goodwill they have shown to the community, do not recommend 'renting' from them. You can use EW8YQ1F2NJ45F0K for 5% off.

did you preorder the wow expansion? Because I see a few 5600xt and 5700xt models on newegg that includes it as a freebie
We preordered the expansion pack because it came with a free character boost token. The boost token sells for more than the expansion by itself does, so we felt it was money well spent.

If I end up buying hardware that comes with Shadowlands, I’ll gift it to a friend in hopes of luring him in to game with us.

Evga b stock 2080s are up, apparently they were a bunch of supers too for 450 earlier. I'd suggest getting one if you want to keep it, they have restocking fees and given the goodwill they have shown to the community, do not recommend 'renting' from them. You can use EW8YQ1F2NJ45F0K for 5% off.
They have a 2080 for $450 but it looks like B Stock items aren’t eligible for Step Up.

I wonder how much it’s going to drop in value once the 3070 hits?

Building systems used to be fun. I never thought I’d see the day where attempting to source a video card would lead to anxiety!

xMAGIUSx: I sent you a pm. I am local and maybe we can work something out I have a GTX 1070 and 2 1080Ti's. I'm only looking to get rid of 1 card.

Thanks!

I ended up biting on the EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC2 ULTRA. Came out to $451 after the promo code and tax. I really appreciate the 5% off and the fact that I can check out of the video card madness for a while.

I got a better card for $450 today than I would have if I had ordered anything in the last few days. This should last me until the 20gb 3080 is released. If I can get around $300 for it in a few months, I’ll consider that an acceptable “rental fee”. If I can’t, then I guess I’ll just keep it and save the monitor upgrade until my next build. It’ll have no trouble playing WoW at Ultra settings @ 2560x1440 - 60hz, and that’s what started this whole build.

xMAGIUSx: I sent you a pm. I am local and maybe we can work something out I have a GTX 1070 and 2 1080Ti's. I'm only looking to get rid of 1 card.
I didn’t see your PM until after I had placed the order. A 1080TI would have gotten the job done as well, but having a 1-year warranty is nice.

Glad it worked out. Pretty good value at $451 given today's market.
Agreed. The market is a mess right now.

The card will be here by next weekend and so will my Phanteks P500A. Everything else was here already. Can’t wait to build!

Agreed. The market is a mess right now.

The card will be here by next weekend and so will my Phanteks P500A. Everything else was here already. Can’t wait to build!

At least you have a realistic view of the "rental fee" also. It's hard to say what the value is going to be after there are plenty of 3060 through 3080 and AMD cards available in say Jan/Feb next year. I think $300 is realistic in a few months. The only other option would have been to go super cheap like with a RX 570/580 4GB or 1060 3GB until you can get a next gen card.

At least you have a realistic view of the "rental fee" also. It's hard to say what the value is going to be after there are plenty of 3060 through 3080 and AMD cards available in say Jan/Feb next year. I think $300 is realistic in a few months. The only other option would have been to go super cheap like with a RX 570/580 4GB or 1060 3GB until you can get a next gen card.

I needed something to complete my build and this was the best I could do.
I contemplated going super cheap but I didn’t want to have worse GPU performance than I did in my old rig, even if only temporarily.

If I can’t get $300 for it when I can get my hands on a 20gb card, then I’ll probably give it to my girlfriend and pass on the 980ti in her machine to a friend. I wonder how much of a bottleneck a 3770K at 4.4ghz would be to a 2080?

I needed something to complete my build and this was the best I could do.
I contemplated going super cheap but I didn’t want to have worse GPU performance than I did in my old rig, even if only temporarily.

If I can’t get $300 for it when I can get my hands on a 20gb card, then I’ll probably give it to my girlfriend and pass on the 980ti in her machine to a friend. I wonder how much of a bottleneck a 3770K at 4.4ghz would be to a 2080?

Probably depends on the resolution she's playing at.

Back