Need a New Video Card, and Quistion about GeForce GTX 1660 Ti pricing???

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I am wanting a new video card but I am unsure of what to get. I have been a AMD/ATI fanboy for a long time but I am open to Nvidia if it is the best option for me. I would like to spend less than $300.

I recently looked at Newegg and they have GeForce GTX 1660 Ti cards in my price range, but I see that they also have what apears to be equaviliant cards for $450 to $500. What's the differance/reason for such a wide price range?

[edit] Just noticed all the sub $300 cards are out of stock, must be just click bait.

So what cards should I look at for a good sub $300 video card? I will only be playing at 1080p but I might get a Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset so something compatible with it would be good as well.
I ran the SteamVR Performance Test and My current setup was all green except for the video card which was "Capable" (yellow).

I believe the hierarchy with the 1660's goes: 1660 Ti > 1660 Super >>> 1660, with the Ti being marginally better than the Super, at a $50-$80 price premium. If you step up to the $375-$400 price bracket, you can go with an AMD 5700 XT which is a substantial upgrade in terms of performance vs that of a 1660 Ti.

I would wait a little longer for the Nvidia RTX 3060 to be out and in stock and get one of those I think the MSRP for these should be $370 but cuurently there's not stock around for any RTX 3000's and any that are out sell ever so quick, so if you are patient maybe in the summer the RTX 3060 would be out and go down to the $329 mark where there will be a little competition from AMD with thier new 6800's.

I agree. I would wait for the RTX 3060 or 3060 ti. If the prices for these don't stabilize or come down, then hopefully the 1660 ti should come down in price. If not, then grab a 1660 super. There is very little difference between them. Steve at GN even said the 1660 ti isn't worth buying over a 1660 super.

I’d want a 2070 or better.
My buddy is a VR streamer, he already went down the min spec gpu thrash, he ended up needing to get off his 8700k bc frame pacing is more of an issue with headsets than monitor gaming.

My son just upgraded from the RTX 2070 to the RTX 3070 and the difference in gaming is a lot better, well worth the upgrade, getting a 3060 or a 3060TI will be a major upgrade to GTX 1660 or GTX 1660 Supper and these are not cheap currently either as there seems to be no GPU available currently, even the GTX 980's are selling for like $180 + used on Ebay.

I personally would wait until the new year and get a RTX 360TI or RTX 3070 as pricing will come down, especially now Nvidia has agreed on a chip deal with Samsung so I hear.

The overpriced stuff on Newegg is from marketplace vendors. Newegg, Best Buy, Amazon, etc. don't tend to gouge people just because something is in short supply. They just sell out instead. Some of the marketplace vendors charge whatever they think they can get. So yeah, they'll put a $500 price tag on a card that was $280 in September. If you want to get an idea what MSRP is, you can usually just hit the "Sold by Newegg" button in the upper left and look at all the out of stock products.

I did a little research on cards in that range while putting together a new rig for my dad for Christmas and looking for a temp card for myself. Dad games a little but it's mostly stuff like Civilization and at 1080p. Around $300 or a bit under your options were basically GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1660Ti, RTX 2060, and RX 5600XT. The 5600XT won most of the benchmarks I looked at but not by much over the 2060, though the 2060 supports DLSS and raytracing so it might "last" longer (due to DLSS). Realistically though the 2060 may be out. I think I saw somewhere that the RTX 2000 series is out of production and since they're sold out everywhere it's likely you just won't be able to get one at a reasonable price. The GTX 1660s are a bit slower, with the pecking order being Ti > Super > 1660 (regular). There is not much difference between a 1660Ti and a Super and the price difference isn't worth it, or at least it wasn't at MSRP. I put a 5600XT in dad's machine. I've seen various types of 1660s and 5600XTs show up in stock at Newegg (sold by Newegg, not one of those price gouging marketplace vendors) over the last month, so they may be possible to get. All that said, you'll almost certainly get a better card if you can hang on a bit longer until the RTX 3060 comes out and get your hands on one. Maybe AMD will launch something too, though I haven't even seen any rumors about that while the 3600 announcement is expected in a few weeks with a launch to follow.

The GTX 1660 Ti is a great choice at $300 but finding one at that price is very unlikely. All graphics cards are in short supply and prices are high. The ones you see at Newegg at about $300 are not in stock. Hard to say what to do. If you can stretch your budget the RTX 3060 Ti would be the best choice and it being a new card you are probably more likely to get one at around $420 - $450. You will probably have to wait though. Even last gen cards used are expensive now. I plan on selling my used RTX 2060 Super on e-bay and I will likely get more than what I paid for my RTX 3060 Ti. Its that crazy. Good luck!

Edit: I noticed in your sig that you have a FX-8350. Are you still running that CPU? If so you might be bottleknecked by your CPU with newer games.

Last edited:
The GTX 1660 Ti is a great choice at $300 but finding one at that price is very unlikely. All graphics cards are in short supply and prices are high. The ones you see at Newegg at about $300 are not in stock. Hard to say what to do. If you can stretch your budget the RTX 3060 Ti would be the best choice and it being a new card you are probably more likely to get one at around $420 - $450. You will probably have to wait though. Even last gen cards used are expensive now. I plan on selling my used RTX 2060 Super on e-bay and I will likely get more than what I paid for my RTX 3060 Ti. Its that crazy. Good luck!

Edit: I noticed in your sig that you have a FX-8350. Are you still running that CPU? If so you might be bottleknecked by your CPU with newer games.
Will be, not might be. Just abandoned the last 8350 in the house for that reason.

Yes, I am still using the FX-8350. I am on Disability and don't make alot of money so it's been a while sense I have upgraded anything. I was hoping we would get the $2000 Incentive check so I could upgrade just about everything. But were only getting $600 for now and I really want to get the Oculus Quest 2. Guess I'll just have to make it work for now and not use PC connection.

I am really happy with my computers performance right now. I play Forza Horizon 4 maxed out and rarely get below 50fps @1080p. I think it looks amazing. I been playing PC games sense about 1995. Back then if you were getting 30fps you were golden, then in the 2000s everyone was saying you had to have 60fps to get a smooth experience in games. Now Everyone is saying you need 120/144 fps to get a good experience, I haven't seen 120/144 fps so I can't say it's an improvement or not, but I can say I am happy with 60fps. I know VR is demanding as it has to draw everything twice for each frame. If I don't get a playable experience I will just stick with the Oculus Quest 2 games and have a good time.

Yes, I am still using the FX-8350. I am on Disability and don't make alot of money so it's been a while sense I have upgraded anything. I was hoping we would get the $2000 Incentive check so I could upgrade just about everything. But were only getting $600 for now and I really want to get the Oculus Quest 2. Guess I'll just have to make it work for now and not use PC connection.

I am really happy with my computers performance right now. I play Forza Horizon 4 maxed out and rarely get below 50fps @1080p. I think it looks amazing. I been playing PC games sense about 1995. Back then if you were getting 30fps you were golden, then in the 2000s everyone was saying you had to have 60fps to get a smooth experience in games. Now Everyone is saying you need 120/144 fps to get a good experience, I haven't seen 120/144 fps so I can't say it's an improvement or not, but I can say I am happy with 60fps. I know VR is demanding as it has to draw everything twice for each frame. If I don't get a playable experience I will just stick with the Oculus Quest 2 games and have a good time.
Oh fuck that. I will be selling a 6800XT soon; let’s see if we can get you better kit to work with. Want to stick with AMD?

IMO, AMD for processor, if using mainly for gaming the AMD Ryzen 5 5600x is best and any Nvidia 3000 series GPU and you won't go wrong or need to update for a while.

AMD will possibly bring out some GPU's that are faster than Nvidia, but it won't be this year not even with their 6800xt or 6900xt.

Sent you a pm (or started a conversation).

Back