Need a new switch

mikecLA

Weaksauce
I currently have a D-Link DES-1228P and it is way too loud for my office.

Would like a quiet 24 port Gigabit switch with Power over Ethernet, but if that's not possible, I'll take it without the PoE and plug the phones in with the transformers they came with.

Something quiet, not to elaborate, that can be managed by a web gui, 24 port minimum, prefer to have gigabit on all ports, need priority for VoIP traffic, and under $1,000. I'd consider something higher end, but don't think I would need the features or know how to manage it.

So far, I've found 2 HP Procurves that look like they would do the trick, the 2610-24 (J9085A) and the 1810-24G (J9450A) The price difference is only about $100 ($440 vs $345).

I'm considering the 2610 since it looks like I can set up a VLAN (not necessary right now, but may be in the future) on that one, but not the 1810. The 1810 is smart managed, the 2610 is fully managed. If I go the 2610 route, how much harder is it going to be to set this thing up? I'm not that experienced in this department, but can learn quick if it's not too terribly difficult.

EDIT: Scratch the 2610. It's only got 2 1000 ports.

Last edited:
You're not going to get a POE fanless switch, not with 24 ports of POE anyway.

The fully managed switches have a command line as well as web interface. They're not hard to configure, especially since it sounds like you don't have to do very much to them.

You're not going to get a POE fanless switch, not with 24 ports of POE anyway.

The fully managed switches have a command line as well as web interface. They're not hard to configure, especially since it sounds like you don't have to do very much to them.

Yep, I realized that after searching and comparing products on HP's site. For now, I'll just plug the phones into the wall and eliminate the need for PoE, I only have 5 anyway. The trade-off is worth it to not have to hear what sounds like a 747 in the background. If I have to expand substantially, I'll end up going back to PoE, but putting it in a soundproof rack.

For now, I went with the 1810-24G, got it for $288 on Amazon. All of the 2600 fanless models only have 2 gigabit ports, so that made it an easy decision.

For such a cheap price, if I need something better in the future, I'll upgrade and keep this as a backup.

One more question:

Is there any reason why I wouldn't, shouldn't, or couldn't use an 8 Port PoE switch (2520-8-PoE J9137A) in conjunction with the 1810-24 Port Hub? Then, I could plug all the phones and the asterisk server into the 8 port hub, the rest of my network into the 24 port, link together, and everything is fanless and quiet.

Nope, no reason you can't do that. Other than adding a slight bit of complexity. But are you seriously, going to drop $600-800 for quieter switches?

Nope, no reason you can't do that. Other than adding a slight bit of complexity. But are you seriously, going to drop $600-800 for quieter switches?

I've already ordered the 24 port gigabit switch, paid $288 for it. Will use it for now and plug the phones into the wall for power. When I need more phones and/or add ip security cameras, I was thinking it would make sense to add the 8 port PoE switch.

I just can't take the noise from the DES-1228P any longer, plus, according to many of the reviews I've read (after I bought it of course) they end up crapping out after a few months of use. I've had it up for 4 months with minor issues, but might as well replace it before it dies. I can always keep it for backup, or, if I end up with more equipment here that requires a rack enclosure at a later time, I can plop it in a soundproof rack. But that route would have been more expensive than replacing the switch, and my other boxes are all towers.

Cant you buy a cabinet for the noisy switch or put a box over it?

Cant you buy a cabinet for the noisy switch or put a box over it?

put a box over it so it can over heat right ?

what you could do, is take the switch apart reference the fan's that are inside and change them to quieter ones.

Did this to a switch last week, used high flow 24V ones and the switch now is silent and kept cool.

Weput 3 24V high cfm fan inside put it all back together, ran it fully, then took top off and used laser temp gun, was pretty sweet project.

Back