Need a new SATA boot SSD. What's the current Gold standard?

meyerkev

Limp Gawd
So my SSD has been giving out on me (No surprise, it lasted 7 years. Good run). Running very slow on read/write the last month or so, and is now refusing to boot up saying that it can't find boot media on the drive.

Headed to Fry's tomorrow to pick up a new drive and a fresh install of Windows 10.

I get that M2/PCI-E is the way to go, but since my other computers are all in the shop, I want to just get it back up and running.

What's a nice 1TB or 2TB SATA drive that I can reformat for use as a games library when the time comes to do a full rebuild?

Edit: If it matters, this is the desktop in my sig. The Vertex 3 gave out.

my gf needs a new SSD for system disk, what do you think about sandisk plus 256gb for 80€ ~ 850 evo 128gb.

Sandisk Plus is a mixed bag budget SSD. The BOM changes on that so you'll never know exactly what you are buying.

Probably better standard SSDs for the same money.

So my SSD has been giving out on me (No surprise, it lasted 7 years. Good run). Running very slow on read/write the last month or so, and is now refusing to boot up saying that it can't find boot media on the drive.

Headed to Fry's tomorrow to pick up a new drive and a fresh install of Windows 10.

I get that M2/PCI-E is the way to go, but since my other computers are all in the shop, I want to just get it back up and running.

What's a nice 1TB or 2TB SATA drive that I can reformat for use as a games library when the time comes to do a full rebuild?

Edit: If it matters, this is the desktop in my sig. The Vertex 3 gave out.

Be wary of the Samsung Evo's. I friend of mine, who works with Video Editing for a living and has built many systems with Evo drives of all sizes, mentioned to me in casual chat the other day to steer clear of them due to their high failure rate. I think he said he had a dozen fail over the past year in various systems. They switched to the Samsung Pro line and haven't had a problem since.

I have had 2 840 Pros keeping my systems at home working flawlessly for the past few years. I recently purchased a Samsung 960 Pro 512GB for my new Kaby Lake build, wow, it is ridiculously fast.

The "Gold Standard" is somewhat subjective. Do you state that on Performance? Price? Opinion? Not one of these alone can define the "Gold Standard".

If I were in your shoes I'd buy an SSD that can migrate to a new build when you are ready. The Samsung 850 Pro series. Slightly more than the EVO but more reliable and a bit more performance. ATM I think the 256GB can be had for $130 on Amazon.

A great tool to help you decide on a drive is this site.

as for 1TB or 2TB Drives? You can get an 850 Pro 1TB for $395 on Amazon as well, you didn't say if the data drive had to be SSD or traditional. Or you can get a traditional spinner Seagate Baracuda 2TB on Amazon for $70.

Just my $.02

For a boot drive? You'll be fine with the 850 EVO. You won't be video editing.

Be wary of the Samsung Evo's. I friend of mine, who works with Video Editing for a living and has built many systems with Evo drives of all sizes, mentioned to me in casual chat the other day to steer clear of them due to their high failure rate. I think he said he had a dozen fail over the past year in various systems. They switched to the Samsung Pro line and haven't had a problem since.

I have had 2 840 Pros keeping my systems at home working flawlessly for the past few years. I recently purchased a Samsung 960 Pro 512GB for my new Kaby Lake build, wow, it is ridiculously fast.

The "Gold Standard" is somewhat subjective. Do you state that on Performance? Price? Opinion? Not one of these alone can define the "Gold Standard".

If I were in your shoes I'd buy an SSD that can migrate to a new build when you are ready. The Samsung 850 Pro series. Slightly more than the EVO but more reliable and a bit more performance. ATM I think the 256GB can be had for $130 on Amazon.

A great tool to help you decide on a drive is this site.

as for 1TB or 2TB Drives? You can get an 850 Pro 1TB for $395 on Amazon as well, you didn't say if the data drive had to be SSD or traditional. Or you can get a traditional spinner Seagate Baracuda 2TB on Amazon for $70.

Just my $.02

Were those failures 840 Evos or 850 Evos? I know the 840 Evo has a bad rep, but havn't read much about 850 Evo failures. I thought the reliability of small node planar TLC in the 840 Evo was addressed with larger node 3D TLC in the 850 Evo.

That said, my goto is the Intel 710 for SATA. It's older, slower, and slightly more expensive but damn reliable with power loss protection and a great toolbox.

840 Evos had the problem. And this happened with 2D planar NAND. 850s are 3D NAND.

I'm gonna be greedy and recommend something other than the 850 Evo because it used to be cheaper until high demand hit :D Gotta think about number 1

I've had a 840 evo 750 gb for a few years now and it's been 100% fine, and fast. (and probably too large, barely using 150 gb)

Who cares if it fails, I have it backup every night on an hdd/online

960 for some future proofing. Maybe get the nvme with a pcie adapter - use it in your next system also

Back