Need a new router

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking for a new router, currently have a D-link 655 but looking for something a bit newer for work. Read there might be an issue with the Dlink 855 so not sure there. Id like to stay with Dlink, its been the most reliable router Iv used. Any suggestions?

Why would you replace it if it suits your needs? It already supports 802.11n and gigabit speeds, what more do you think is missing?

Why would you replace it if it suits your needs? It already supports 802.11n and gigabit speeds, what more do you think is missing?

It feels like its starting to die. I get this slow periods where only restarting the router fixes it. Its also not saving settings, after every restart I have to redo the settings, its becoming a pain. Instead of buying the same one, my company is going to buy me a new one, figure might as well go for it.

Id like to stay with Dlink, its been the most reliable router Iv used.

I don't think your characterization of it as being the "most reliable" gels with your last statement in which you tell us that you think it's starting to die and doesn't save settings... Just sayin'

If your company is paying for it, I'd opt for something a bit more beefy like this: http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1956550

It feels like its starting to die. I get this slow periods where only restarting the router fixes it. Its also not saving settings, after every restart I have to redo the settings, its becoming a pain....

Had the same problems with my D-Link router some time ago after maybe two years of use.

After the D-Link DGL-4500 fiasco with the firmware (having same problems you did and many more). I decided to switch up Manufacturers. I got a NetGear WNDR3700. So far no failures to report. Its pretty cool because it supports 3 different wireless networks at a time. One guest 2.4ghz, one (yours) 2.4ghz, and a 5ghz. All running at the same time. Signal strength has been much better with this router than the D-Link. What matters to me most though is the uptime and so far so good. If you goto D-Links forums, there are tons of issues with firmware for the DGL-4500, DIR-655, and DIR-855. They updated the firmware and then screwed alot of users saying its not the firmware. Just an FYI.

I don't think your characterization of it as being the "most reliable" gels with your last statement in which you tell us that you think it's starting to die and doesn't save settings... Just sayin'

If your company is paying for it, I'd opt for something a bit more beefy like this: http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1956550

LMAO!

While I'd certainly agree that is a much more capable router :D I hardly think his work is going to shell out $1500 to replace a $100 router. :p

Roll your own firewall and use that D-Link as an AP only. Just my two cents...

Back