Need a new router for home.

Hostile

Gawd
It appears that my Netgear WGR614v5 has given up the ghost and it's time for a replacement. I'm looking at two linksys models, the WRT54Gv6 and the WRT54GC. Anyone have either of these? The C looks nice because it's smaller and stands vertical, but the firmware hasn't been updated in over a year...that doesn't bode to well for me. The 54Gv6 was just updated back in May.

TIA

Hi, I would recommed a Linksys wrt54g. The gc is compact, yes, but my friend has it and gets bad wireless range. I personaly own 4 linksys wrt54g's (with modded firmware) and they are very good and stable routers and they work very well with all my network hardware.

I have one WRT54GC one WRT54G and one WRT54GS and my all time favorite out of all three is the WRT54G by far. Everything all depends on what you will be using your wireless for.

With the WRT54GC you can move it easily, hide it (I dont know what people do with routers) also is good for traveling, as for range I get about 200ft+ that is with some fine tuning and a external antenna though the internal antenna will be alot less for range.

If you are intrested in range and dont want to buy a external antenna get the WRT54G because it has two external antennas, this router is my favorite because it runs linux and can do a crap load of stuff with a third party firmware on it. Also with the xmit turned up it goes just as far as my WRT54GC.

Like I said it all comes down to what you will be using this router for and where
WRT54GC = small places and easily moved
WRT54G = fast and good range

I wouldn't even look back at old G units...I'd get a MIMO unit. The DLink 4000 series is doing very well, the Linksys wrt54gx2 and gx4 (SRX) units are great. Or if you prefer to stick with Netgear..their newer Rangemax units are doing well.

I just got the dlink 4300 a few days ago, couldn't be happier, switched over from the linksys 54g, imo the dlink 4300 looks bad ass, has TONS of security and advanced options and the range is fantastic.

I bought a WRT54Gv6 for $49.99 and saved an additional 10% with a BestBuy coupon. All my gear is a mix of b and g and I have absolutely no desire to start upgrading existing hardware that works fine.

Thanks for the responses.

Back