Need a New Router for gaming, Must be high performance

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by vinny77, Jun 30, 2004.

1. vinny77

vinny77 Limp Gawd

Need a New rounter for gaming, It has to be high
    Hi,
    Hi had and still have a Linksys SR41 wired router. It was very slow and always lost our connection(A very common problem) So I decided to purchase the Linksys NR041(Network Everywhere)

Now me and my brother my counter strike competitivly and a dying router is not the best thing to have when you are in a match.

So I get the Now router the NR041 and it wont let us play in the same server at the same time. It will only address 1 port to 1 Pc at each certain time. So we tried to flash it and We killed it we cant even ping it, so we will return it at defective.

My question si there any real 10/100mbit router that is fast and will alow us to play the games at the same time and play xbox live, The xbox live is not that important becouse they said the Nr041 wouldent work and it did.

So I just need a very good working router. The NR041 was so much faster than the Sr41. I went from seeing 700kbs from the Optimum online test ftp to 1.7 mbs. So it was a very good purchase just that it doesnt alow us to play the games we need to play

So please help
    Everything is Wired no wireless

2. DVAmon

DVAmon 2[H]4U

Um, most 10/100 routers are pretty much all the same with exception to people's brand preference. For longevity, you might want an SMC7004VBR CABLE/DSL, or 3Com/USR-8003, or a DI-604P or 704P. I have used all of them for residential clients, and are still working with no complaints except the occasional broadband outage.

I use a D-Link DI-614+ which has wired 4 port lan / 1 port wan and 802.11b wireless capability. I suggest you turn off the wireless feature if you choose to use it. Worked fine for me till I got the cash to begin setting up my cisco lab.

Hope that helps.

3. vinny77

vinny77 Limp Gawd

Hey thx alot I live right next to yonkers, neer kimble ave

4. enforcer17

enforcer17 [H]ard|Gawd

5. vinny77

vinny77 Limp Gawd

Yeah il pick up 3 of them lol I dont think i could afford that one

6. fusionrs

fusionrs [H]ard|Gawd

I've never had any problems with my Linksys or my Netgear. 3Com makes quality equipment as well.

7. DVAmon

DVAmon 2[H]4U

Which is why I didn't bother recommending it. I would only recommend Cisco to everyone based on performance alone, but not everyone can afford to drop $200+ on a router. It's overkill for most users.

8. guito13

guito13 [H]ardness Supreme

I can only speak for the D-Link routers. I have a DI-604 (Early version) and it has been great. I have played CS on the same server from several machines behind it with no problems. I just ordered This for a client which may be overkill for you but thought i would show it to you. Good luck!

9. DVAmon

DVAmon 2[H]4U

10. typhoon43

typhoon43 2[H]4U

Adtran huh? You going dedicated T1 at your house?

11. LadyJaqie

LadyJaqie I Have No Title

with new firmware the D link routers tout themselves as X boxz live compatible. they arent very expensive and I can play a VERY VERY picky game through it without any routing rules... And with linksys someone couldnt play it behind it until they had set themselves to be in the DMZ....

there was literally no setup with the D link to get this extremely picky game to run on multiple machines simultaneously behind it. it even has a 'gaming mode' which is enabled by default. I have the now retired DI-614+.

The game I am talking about is Asheron's Call.
    this is the only router ive ever seen that will let it work at all without all sorts of heavy configuration and its just as fast as if I plugged in directly to cablemodem. very impressive router. I really reccommend you give one a try.

12. DVAmon

DVAmon 2[H]4U

Heh, one day. :D Might put the WIC-1CSU laying in some anti-static bag to some use. No actually I'm getting the ISDN and Frame Relay simulator, although I could probably rig something up with a few 2500s...I'd rather not have too much crap laying around. I eventually want to setup a CCNP style classroom lab in my spare room and practice as well as letting my friends use it for LAN parties...that T1 is sounding mighty good..

13. nonsequitur

nonsequitur [H]ard|Gawd

i vote for finding an old p1 or p2 machine on the cheap, give it two nics and run smoothwall :)

14. LadyJaqie

I have actually seen *nix fail to route stuff needed for Asheron's Call properly.

15. j0k3r

j0k3r Limp Gawd

That would be user error, not *nix error.

I have the Netgear FVS318 and it has performed flawlessly since day 1.

16. LadyJaqie

no, it would not. there was an issue of kernels before 2.4 not routing right. something about loose udp routing not functioning correctly quite. don't assume what you are not sure of.

17. j0k3r

j0k3r Limp Gawd

Then you should be specific. You said it was a problem with a particular game, not a particular kernel. Be sure of what you speak of before you speak.

On EDIT: Not worth mentioning anyway if it was a pre 2.4 problem, that is unless you are kernel deficient.

18. LadyJaqie

*sigh* you may want to read the rules hon. I don't want a flame war and I dont think others do either.

Again, Ill emphasise how good the D link routers are. they are great stuff!

*leaves the thread*

19. IceWindus

IceWindus n00b

Jaq, didn't you mean NIC or am I wrong? :confused:

Awesome, a girl technician with an attitude. I like you already :cool:

20. LadyJaqie

No, i did not.

*nix means "all linux/unix/BSD variants"

its an easy way of saying linux/unix/BSD. just like, say, NIC is short for Network Interface Card. :p

and thanks for the compliment, IceWind. most people seem to want to do something other then compliment me when they find out/figure out I am female. :confused: :(

21. IceWindus

IceWindus n00b

Ah ok, im a total Linux noob, so forgive me. Im new to the industry, only had this IT job for a year. So much to learn I dunno how im gonna cram all this stuff in my head. :confused:

And don't let any of these guys disrespect you for just being a female, its totally uncalled for. In fact, im willing to bet you know alot more then a vast majority of the guys on here. ;)

22. LadyJaqie

23. SacredHP

SacredHP n00b

Same here. My FVS318 has been awesome!

24. versello

versello 2[H]4U

25. Milenko

Milenko [H]ard|Gawd

Linksys BEFSR11 -

- Have had it for almost 5 years, thing has worked perfectly for me.