Need a New Router and AP

Master_Pain

Supreme [H]ardness
My Meraki MX64 is about to come up on its licensing, so I don't really feel like renewing for home use.

What do you guys recommend for reliability these days? I don't want to have to reboot the bastard every couple of months, so something that is reliable. Currently have 250mbps, so doesn't need to route gigabit.

Also need a standalone POE AP.

Did you get the MX64 from their CMNA class or was it a free box for attending a webinar? If the former, you can relicense it by taking a single day refresher course.

Else: Just get a Ubituiti EdgeRouter. You'll feel right at home coming from Meraki - but with quite a bit more knobs.

Pfsense or ubiquiti edgerouter, depending on what features/capabilities you're looking for. You'll need to have hardware lying around, or purchase new hardware for pfsense. Edgerouter already includes hardware and software.

The MX was from a webinar at work. I thought about PFSense, but I don't really want to be screwing with networking at home too...

ER-X looks like it's getting good reviews on Amazon and is dirt cheap. Just go with that, or need to get one of the higher end models?

Looking at the AP's, it looks like the nanoHD is the way to go to get MU-MIMO. That's a pretty damn good price for that honestly, especially if you don't need 2.4ghz.

ER-X should be good for your connection. Any of the ubiquiti APs are pretty solid. I recommend the legacy firmware. YMMV

Legacy firmware on the AP? Why's that?
They aren't explicit about it, but their "stable" release is actually beta/testing firmware. They have broken many people's networks with certain versions. Basically, if the version you're on works and there are no security issues that are addressed in a firmware update, don't go for the latest and greatest until you do your research. And, you might be the one experimenting and reporting back your issues if you choose to update.
Case and point: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi...UAP-USW-has-been-released-Stable/td-p/2661321

Edit: here's a more recent "Stable candidate". Which, even people without any technical experience, realize the release isn't ready for. And, you can see that in the comments. https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi...UAP-USW-has-been-released-Stable/td-p/2743991
Stick to the older legacy firmware that is tried and true, and you won't have any issues. I like to tinker and try out the builds that break things. Just a heads up to help a fellow member avoid potential hours or days troubleshooting

Last edited:
Sounds good, guess I will pick those 2 up to replace my Meraki stuff. I'll let you know if I hit any walls.

Yup unifi is all I will use going forward. Love my in-wall ac lite APs. One of these days I will replace my crappy old POS Netgear router with the unifi edge router or security gateway

They aren't explicit about it, but their "stable" release is actually beta/testing firmware. They have broken many people's networks with certain versions.
This, this, this! I really like UBNT, but you'd be crazy to try their software immediately after release.

"Stable" EdgeOS v2+ was bricking the ER-X series for a while until it was pulled a few weeks ago. Not only did QA miss this, they took some time to respond to forum posts before removing the download.

This, this, this! I really like UBNT, but you'd be crazy to try their software immediately after release.

"Stable" EdgeOS v2+ was bricking the ER-X series for a while until it was pulled a few weeks ago. Not only did QA miss this, they took some time to respond to forum posts before removing the download.

Afraid I have to agree. I really like the hardware and is still the best choice is many circumstances, but their QA is seriously lacking.

(Also, they really need to step up and bring their IPv6 support up to speed. But that's just kinda my pet peeve.)

Have to admit I typically upgrade regularly with my APs at home and work without any I'll affect

Not had any issues with my ER-X. I just redid my home network with a Unifi switch and an AC-PRO.

They aren't explicit about it, but their "stable" release is actually beta/testing firmware. They have broken many people's networks with certain versions. Basically, if the version you're on works and there are no security issues that are addressed in a firmware update, don't go for the latest and greatest until you do your research. And, you might be the one experimenting and reporting back your issues if you choose to update.
Case and point: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi...UAP-USW-has-been-released-Stable/td-p/2661321

Edit: here's a more recent "Stable candidate". Which, even people without any technical experience, realize the release isn't ready for. And, you can see that in the comments. https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi...UAP-USW-has-been-released-Stable/td-p/2743991
Stick to the older legacy firmware that is tried and true, and you won't have any issues. I like to tinker and try out the builds that break things. Just a heads up to help a fellow member avoid potential hours or days troubleshooting

Have my Edgerouter X and NanoHD sitting here. What firmware is the most stable?

Have my Edgerouter X and NanoHD sitting here. What firmware is the most stable?
I think nanoHD has better luck with the newer firmwares. Poke around the threads for each version to see what others are saying about the nanoHD stability. Trust me, you'll know when it's a bad one ;):p

Updated the UAP-AC-Pro and Switch 8 60w last night, but I'm still hesitent to move the ER-4 off of the 2.0 Beta 3 to the release 2.0 firmware.

I can handle the AP and the switch not taking firmware, but the router works...

Back