Need A New Rig - $1200-$1500

JeffC

Weaksauce
Well after posting some questions here about upgrading my kids rig and getting some great replies. I then started reading more of the forum post and taking a good look at my rig. This led me to decide it is time for me to make myself a new build. Problem is it has been around 6 years since building a computer from the ground up. My current rig is less then 2 years old and already outdated due to me buying a bare-bones combo from TigerDirect. I won't make that mistake again. However, I am very out of touch with the newest tech.

I have always had AMD rigs and would like to stick with that. I know that the i5 and i7 SB are all the rage but just don't trust Intel. On top of that no one seems to know when the new 1155 mobos will be available again. I would also like to purchase mostly from Newegg.

So with that said here is what I am looking for:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, Graphic Arts, Hulu/NetFlix, and Web Browsing
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1200 - $1500 S&H included
3) Where do you live?
Las Vegas, NV USA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, PSU, Mobo, CPU, GPU, HDDs/SSDs, RAM, 27"+ LCD, Optical Drive, Gaming Keyboard & Mouse, Speakers
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None this is a completely new build
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes but I am new at overclocking so I need a very OC friendly set up
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I currently us a 24" AOC. I would like to have a 27" to 32" monitor for this rig.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Sometime between now and the end of April.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
Not sure on this. I need at least USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/s. Firewire would be nice but no current use. I would also like it to be Crossfire and/or SLI ready. The most important thing is that I want a quality mobo that is not outdated 2 hours after I turn on the system. Looking for something very future proof.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

These are the parts I was thinking about:

CPUs
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T

PSUs
CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3-US 1200W
CORSAIR Professional Series AX850 850W

Cases
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 AMD Limited Edition
COOLER MASTER HAF X
Thermaltake Spedo Advance Package VI90001W2Z

GPU
I would like to go with a 6800 or 6900 series but have been having trouble deciding between brands and models.

Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G510
RAZER Black Wired BlackWidow
GIGABYTE GK-K8100-RED
Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard

Gaming Mouse
RAZER Naga Epic
RAZER Black Wired Laser Naga Special Edition - Molten
RAZER Mamba

Thanks,
Jeff

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Sometime between now and the end of April.
Yeah you're asking too soon: Any chance that you can narrow down that build time? I ask because a lot can change between now and April. Hell parts we recommend today will not be the same parts we recommend a month from now. If you want up-to date advice, ask for build help in April or move up your build time to February.

And speaking of April:
On top of that no one seems to know when the new 1155 mobos will be available again.
All of the articles and reports I've been seeing points to late March at the earliest to early April.

I would also like it to be Crossfire and/or SLI ready.
For AMD, SLI is pretty much out of the question nowadays.

The most important thing is that I want a quality mobo that is not outdated 2 hours after I turn on the system. Looking for something very future proof.[/COLOR]
What exactly do you mean by "future proof"? In terms of CPU upgrade paths, you're pretty much stuck with whatever AMD has out now. Later this year, AMD is releasing their new Bulldozer CPUs sometime in Q3. Those will be completely incompatible with current AMD motherboards.

Not worth the extra $60 over the $180 Phenom II 1055T IMO. It's been shown that the 1055T is actually a fairly good and relatively easy overclocker just like the 1090T CPU. So that tells me that the 1100T isn't a good buy over the 1055T.
Unless you're going for a triple-Crossfire setup, you'll be fine with the Corsair 850W PSU

I don't see those cases being worth the money. Well except for the HAF X: If you're going for a quad-Crossfire setup, that will be an ok choice due to the eight expansion slots. But those cases aren't worth the money considering that there are better quality cases for the money:
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$160 - Corsair Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$160 - Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case
$200 - Lian Li PC-B25F ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B ATX Case

GPU
I would like to go with a 6800 or 6900 series but have been having trouble deciding between brands and models.
Considering that resolution of your new monitor will more than likely be at least 1920x1080, I'd recommend the HD 6890 from Gigabyte, Asus, or XFX as a starting point.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah you're asking too soon: Any chance that you can narrow down that build time? I ask because a lot can change between now and April. Hell parts we recommend today will not be the same parts we recommend a month from now. If you want up-to date advice, ask for build help in April or move up your build time to February.

Sorry about that. Not sure why I put April I meant to put between now and March. So yes it will be in the next 2 weeks or so.

And speaking of April:

All of the articles and reports I've been seeing points to late March at the earliest to early April.

If the Sandy Bridge CPUs are going to be extremely superior to their AMD counter parts then I may wait and go with an Intel build. I am not so much of an AMD fanboy as to go with a inferior product simply because of who makes it.

For AMD, SLI is pretty much out of the question nowadays.

I am planing to go with AMD GPUs Do to their price to performance ratio. So I am mostly interested in it being Crossfire ready.

What exactly do you mean by "future proof"? In terms of CPU upgrade paths, you're pretty much stuck with whatever AMD has out now. Later this year, AMD is releasing their new Bulldozer CPUs sometime in Q3. Those will be completely incompatible with current AMD motherboards.

I mean more in terms of upgrading graphics cards and adding HDDs & SDDs. I have had some problems in upgrading my current systems GPU do to chipset compatibility issues and a cheap PSU.

Not worth the extra $60 over the $180 Phenom II 1055T IMO. It's been shown that the 1055T is actually a fairly good and relatively easy overclocker just like the 1090T CPU. So that tells me that the 1100T isn't a good buy over the 1055T.

Good to know so if I go the AMD rout the best CPU is the 1055T.

Unless you're going for a triple-Crossfire setup, you'll be fine with the Corsair 850W PSU

Not planning to triple-Crossfire. I was going with the larger PSU if it was in the budget because I did not want to have to upgrade in in a couple of years when I want to buy the latest GPU. Guess I went for overkill.

I don't see those cases being worth the money. Well except for the HAF X: If you're going for a quad-Crossfire setup, that will be an ok choice due to the eight expansion slots. But those cases aren't worth the money considering that there are better quality cases for the money:
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$160 - Corsair Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$160 - Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case
$200 - Lian Li PC-B25F ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B ATX Case

I absolutely love the Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case. I have never seen a case like it. Thank you for listing it here.

Considering that resolution of your new monitor will more than likely be at least 1920x1080, I'd recommend the HD 6890 from Gigabyte, Asus, or XFX as a starting point.

I agree fully. I'm hoping to go with a HD 6950 or HD 6970

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If the Sandy Bridge CPUs are going to be extremely superior to their AMD counter parts then I may wait and go with an Intel build. I am not so much of an AMD fanboy as to go with a inferior product simply because of who makes it.
Yeah the Sandy Bridge CPUs are significantly faster CPUs than any AMD CPU out now. The $200 Core i5-2500K outperformed the $240 Phenom II 1100T in many many applications and games at stock speeds. Once you start overclocking, the i5-2500K simply just dominated. If you're willing to wait, then I would highly recommend waiting till the updated Sandy Bridge motherboards come out.

I absolutely love the Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case. I have never seen a case like it. Thank you for listing it here.
No prob. It really is an awesome looking case.

I agree fully. I'm hoping to go with a HD 6950 or HD 6970

Good choices.

Thank you for all your help. Looks like I will be working on my first Intel build since building my K5 rig back in '96. Well at least it will have an AMD GPU.

As much as I like the Raven 3 HDD bays is a little limiting so I have decided to go with it's big brother the Fortress FT02.

Thank you for all your help. Looks like I will be working on my first Intel build since building my K5 rig back in '96. Well at least it will have an AMD GPU.

As much as I like the Raven 3 HDD bays is a little limiting so I have decided to go with it's big brother the Fortress FT02.

Also a good choice.

Back