Need a new phone under $400

Hikaru IchijoSL

Limp Gawd
I am on T-Mobile

My lg g4 has a bootloop error so I am afraid to turn it off because it might never go back on.

I want a 5.5" screen a little larger is ok. 18:9 because it is hard to find 1440p phones anymore.
I want a android 1 phone, I hate bloatware. (this is no a requirement but I prefer it)
Android 8.0
4gb ram 64Gb storage
Micro sd slot

I would wait for 5g but it is not possible.

A few options: A used Pixel 2 or Pixel/Pixel XL, or a used OnePlus 5T.

You can also go new and go with a Moto Z Force 2 for about $300ish, a Z2 Play for $350ish, A Moto G6 Plus, Moto X4, LG G6 etc.

Another option would be the Galaxy S8, and flash the unlocked firmware on it. No bloatware, but I think you're looking for a stock skin. I will say though, as much as I love stock android, the S8/S9 are wonderful.

For under $400 and new, the 64/4GB Moto G6 fits all of that except Android One, but it's basically the same as Android One in that there's no bloatware on them, it just doesn't get updated nearly as fast. I know many people like to hate on Moto/Lenovo for their lackluster software support on their lower end phones, but they're solid phones nonetheless and my wife is still happy with her 2 year old Z Play to this day (mostly because of it's unbeatable battery life, but performance has been solid as well the whole time). I'd rather have the newer G6 than the Z2 phones too just because the Z2 Force has a really scratch-prone plastic (but shatterproof) display and the Z2 Play is about the same phone spec-wise (just has mod support if you'd like that) but still more expensive. Just search for G6 reviews and you'll see how well it's been received.

Next best thing is probably the Essential phone or maybe a Nokia 6.1 if you want to buy new still. Essential phone doesn't have SD cards slot though and the Nokia 6.1 with 64/4GB config doesn't seem to be available for the US.

When you do finally shut that G4 off, if you want to dispose of it I'll pay shipping so keep me in mind, will ya? :D

The suggestion about the OnePlus 5T is a good one, actually, that way you know it'll have a nice community of support behind it - there's already Android 9 "Pie" ROMs available (the beta versions) and now that Pie is officially released as of today soon enough there will be full non-beta ROMs in the AOSP branches too. Realize it doesn't have a microSD slot so the max option for 128GB is as far as you go.

The question you should be asking is this: do you want mid-range hardware using stuff like the Snapdragon 400 or 600 series SoCs (weaker, longer battery life to some degrees), or a flagship with something using an 800 series SoC and then go from there. The 400/600 models are not bad, but if you require serious horsepower for gaming or whatever then they're not going to cut it in that respect.

Could also consider an LG V20 or V30 maybe, great specs, great cameras and software, yes they do use the LG UI but in some models you can get a custom ROM on 'em depending on the bootloader, and of course the removable battery on the V20 and the microSD still make it a viable option for various reasons.

The Moto G6 mentioned is another good potential but it's in the Snapdragon 400 series SoCs I mentioned so weak in terms of overall potential but great battery life - that's something the Moto phones have always had, plus a large community of support since the bootloaders can be unlocked as long as you're not buying one from a carrier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the G5 Plus is better then the G6 IMO plus it can use the google camera 2 API and take nearly pixel 2 quality shots as they use the same hardware

Last edited:
When you do finally shut that G4 off, if you want to dispose of it I'll pay shipping so keep me in mind, will ya? :D

The suggestion about the OnePlus 5T is a good one, actually, that way you know it'll have a nice community of support behind it - there's already Android 9 "Pie" ROMs available (the beta versions) and now that Pie is officially released as of today soon enough there will be full non-beta ROMs in the AOSP branches too. Realize it doesn't have a microSD slot so the max option for 128GB is as far as you go.

The question you should be asking is this: do you want mid-range hardware using stuff like the Snapdragon 400 or 600 series SoCs (weaker, longer battery life to some degrees), or a flagship with something using an 800 series SoC and then go from there. The 400/600 models are not bad, but if you require serious horsepower for gaming or whatever then they're not going to cut it in that respect.

Could also consider an LG V20 or V30 maybe, great specs, great cameras and software, yes they do use the LG UI but in some models you can get a custom ROM on 'em depending on the bootloader, and of course the removable battery on the V20 and the microSD still make it a viable option for various reasons.

The Moto G6 mentioned is another good potential but it's in the Snapdragon 400 series SoCs I mentioned so weak in terms of overall potential but great battery life - that's something the Moto phones have always had, plus a large community of support since the bootloaders can be unlocked as long as you're not buying one from a carrier.

I wonder about the processor, I wish I could wait to the new 700 series and 5G comes out at this point.

Check out Republic wireless.

It’s a cool concept. My wife got one last year, and if I didn’t already have my phone paid for through work, I’d use them too.

Various phone options, you pay for in full, up front, but the monthly fees are really low. $20 for unlimited talk, text, data.

https://republicwireless.com/cell-phone-plans/

My dad and sister have used it for 2-3 years now and really like it, they introduced the company to me and my wife.

Last edited:
Check out Republic wireless.

It’s a cool concept. My wife got one, and if I didn’t already have my phone paid for through work, I’d use them.

Various phone options, but the monthly fees are really low.
Seem like a cheaper project fi service. Hard to trust small new no name companies.

I wonder about the processor, I wish I could wait to the new 700 series and 5G comes out at this point.

Don't get hung up on CPU specs too much; my wife's Z Play with a 625 runs just as fast or faster in real world usage than my son's Galaxy S7 with the 820. Unless you're planning on gaming on your phone or doing something intensive like that, the mid-range SoCs are more than adequate. But hell, even games run fine on her phone too on that 625 from the few I tried, even better than my previous Nexus 6P because the 810 in that would throttle severely after 3 mins of anything CPU/GPU intensive.

If you are looking for a low cost carrier my co worker just switched from republic wireless to mint sim backed by tmobile towers. Has been good to him plus way more data for the same price. And they are really cheap

I am not changing carriers. I am leaning toward the Nokia 6.1

I was looking at the Nokia 6.1 and the Nokia 7 plus but both of them seem to only support some of the 4G LTE bands in use in the United States at least on AT&T. I didn't look into T-Mobile very much. Unfortunately it's a deal-killer for me. Definitely double check before you pull the trigger.

If you like Samsung, get one.

If you don't like Samsung and need GSM phone then OnePlus would be my choice.

Obviously you can't go wrong with Moto phones.

Essential Ph-1 or Pocophone F1. Essential is around 250, Poco 300$ + import fees.

I am not changing carriers. I am leaning toward the Nokia 6.1

Just to update my earlier post. I guess there is a Nokia 6.1 that is made for NA bands for use with AT&T and T-mobile after a little more research. TA-1045 is the model number. However, it is slightly gimped compared to the international version in that it is 3GB/32GB as opposed to 4GB/64GB in the international (TA-1062, IIRC).

Are you willing to buy used? I have a V30 I used for three weeks then put it away in storage. It's carrier unlocked updated with Android 8.

As someone suggested earlier, S8 is a wonderful phone. Perhaps even S8+. I think both can be found at around $400 if you look closely.

I decided to wait for the new LG G7 android one version to see what the cost is or the Nokia 6.1 plus (hopefully a USA release is coming soon). I really hate skins and bloatware on my devices.

You might want to look into the Moto X4. Amazon has it on sale right now for $250. It's a perfectly capable phone, should be right in line with what you want.

Back