WAR
WoW (Cata and newer)
Neverwinter

Games I have tried and enjoyed but can't play anymore:
GW
GW2
WoW:BC,WotLK

Things I don't like in a game:
Asian graphics. I'm not racist, I just like to involve my mind in an appealing fantasy realm. Asian style art doesn't appeal to me.
Cosmetic-only rewards. This is why I'm leaving GW2. It does nearly everything right, but there's no progression. You can't get better stuff, you can't get upgrades, there's nothing for me to work towards. Achievement-whoring and building a new sparkly outfit just for looks are not my thing.
Unbalanced PvP. I admit this is likely to be a problem in every game, but some games adapt and try to fix it (GW2 tried with only marginal success) and some games ignore it for ten years (cough WoW cough).
Ludicrous lore. This is subjective, but I think most people can agree orcs vs humans is classic... Orcs vs humans with pandas thrown into the mix is ludicrous. I feel the same way about people fighting with spears standing next to guy on a hovercraft. Sadly, this seems to be the norm for games nowdays.
"Clunky" feel. I believe that games like WoW and Halflife had major success because they were so dang fluid. Character movements, jumping, etc. No hesitation, no choppiness. It seems like this should be standard for a game but there are some dogs out there with horrible movement and worse controls. It really does make the experience different.

Things I do like (no more negativity):
Teamwork. I *loved* running heroics in WoW. Raiding wasn't quite as fun because it took a little more work, but it was still enough fun that I ran 4x characters per week in WotLK. I don't have that kind of time anymore, but I do want good dungeon running with co-op. I just played some WoW on a trial account and the dungeons at low levels are so easy now you can solo them in blues and greens.
Large-scale PvP with objectives. I don't really like deathmatches or team arena battles. I like capture the flag, point control, castle sieges, etc. GW2 was great for this, but it's gotten worse of late (I think maybe realm transfers killed all the good players on my server, not sure). I still miss Alterac Valley, but not enough to pay $15/mo just for one feature.
Graphics and animations: this kills many more games for me than I'd care to admit. If I can't immerse myself in it, I won't enjoy it. If the graphics are rank or the animations are super unrealistic, I can't get into it. WAR was pretty good with animations, GW2 did a bang-up job on graphics, and maybe WoW:5 will fix the graphic issue to an extent but I'm not holding my breath.

I remember playing Rift in beta and thought it was decently fun but not good enough to draw me away from WotLK. Now that I'm out of that, maybe I'll try it but I'm wondering what else is out there.

Elder Scrolls online might be able to intrigue me, but the gameplay vids I've seen so far look awful. Star Wars doesn't look appealing. Honestly, even a co-op RPG would be fine at this point. I've descended into mindless hack-n-slash TL2 for the time being, would like something with a little more substance.

You could try Tera or Rift. Both have good f2p models. I'll probably try ESO when it launches, the graphics are the best I've seen for an MMO and I hear the gameplay opens up once you get to the later levels. ESO also has large open scale RvR similar to DAOC.

Last edited:
If you're into large-scale pvp, give ESO a look when it drops in about a month. I ended up preordering after seeing all of the great reviews that the game's RvR has been getting since they lifted the NDA. I didn't make it far enough into the beta to try the pvp because I thought the game was pretty underwhelming. Apparently, the general consensus is that the game is boring early on, but starts to change peoples' minds once if they can push themselves past that.

Star Trek Online is really not bad. Anymore? I dunno. I had given up on my first try a while back but now I like it. The lore is really not bad. I like that "beaming" around is actually part of the lore, not like in LOTRO :) Ground combat is a bit meh and you don't seem to be interested in what I think is a strong point, this cosmetics. The pacing of questgiving is good for me.

I also find that their payment model is fair and gives you a hassle-free period to try it out for real, spending $5 or so.

Look out for WildStar.

If you can get past the scifi/fantasy mix (which I don't really find that appealing). It could be what you are looking for.

I'm in the same boat as Kevin and been waiting for a decent mmo to sink into for some time now. ESO had such hope but I just can't support putting an entire race behind a CE paywall or allowing pre-orders only to have races switch sides.

I have a lot of people, and I mean a large chunk, of experienced MMO friends who jumped and jump on Rift big time. Apparently it is a really polished implementation of a traditional tank/header/dps MMORPG, and a nice company doing good things for you backing it.

I couldn't get into it but I'm not a traditional trinity player.

I have a lot of people, and I mean a large chunk, of experienced MMO friends who jumped and jump on Rift big time. Apparently it is a really polished implementation of a traditional tank/header/dps MMORPG, and a nice company doing good things for you backing it.

I couldn't get into it but I'm not a traditional trinity player.

Downloading Rift now.

I'm in the same boat as Kevin and been waiting for a decent mmo to sink into for some time now. ESO had such hope but I just can't support putting an entire race behind a CE paywall or allowing pre-orders only to have races switch sides.

What exactly does this mean? I'm assuming it means only Collector's Edition purchases get access to a certain race? Not sure what the pre-order sentence means at all.

What exactly does this mean? I'm assuming it means only Collector's Edition purchases get access to a certain race? Not sure what the pre-order sentence means at all.

ESO has nine playable races divided into three warring Factions. The Imperials are a tenth race who are currently only available if you purchase the collectors edition.

If you pre-order, you can choose any race and any faction. If you don't pre-order, your race decides which faction you are in.

Wow. I don't mind the CE part but the other bit... surely that can't hold up forever. It's so.. permanent.

Sigh, this is going to make me sound like an overly picky whiner... I might be overly picky, but I promise I don't make up reasons to hate things. Rift actually makes my eyes hurt. After about an hour of playtime... I think the reason is that the camera seems to have a fixed number of positions. For ease of explanation, let's say there's 360 locations the camera can sit at if you rotate in a circle. If you aren't zoomed all the way in like first person mode, the camera will have to jump a short distance, rather than smoothly sliding. So, out where your vision sits, the terrain is constantly jumping around. That might not be the problem but this is honestly the first time my eyes have ever felt sore after playing a computer game. I gotta move to another :(

Downloading Neverwinter and Allods Online.

Side note: Darkfall and FFXIV both look really good but they cost money. Anyone play them?

Last edited:
Darkfall is quite different vs other mmo's.

It's much more a sandbox game (a la Ultima Online) with open pvp/looting (unless they've changed it).

It's also an indie mmo and as such the graphics well a bit dated.

It can be fun if you hav ea good guild to play with and like pvp, but if pvp isn't your thing you might be more interested in other things.

FFXIV is fun for a short while, but it feels quite a bit like your more traditional mmo, the trinity focus, hotbar based combat (and combat can be quite slow in it). The graphics are quite nice and one of the best looking newer mmorpgs out there, but it is a final fantasy game so you can expect some anime style influences here and there.

I would highly suggest you give the Elder Scrolls online a try (sign up for beta if you haven't), they are inviting people for another beta test soon and you can try it yourself most ikely and see how you like it.

It drags a bit at first (The tutorial area/starting island) but opens up quite a bit after that and one of its main focuses is rvrvr (A la DAOC), so if you enjoy pvp with structure/reasons behind it you will probably enjoy it.

One mmorpg I didn't see on your list that I'd mention is The Secret World.

It is a story-focused mmo with some adventure-game style elements (IE some missions you have to find clues and figure out things).

If you want a different setting then your usual mmo fantasy or what not then this is it, it's set in modern day and focuses heavily on horror elements.

If you enjoy horror things (books/movies, etc) you will probably enjoy it, from a story perspective at least.

It has one of the best atmosphere's in an mmo that I've played and it's dripping with a ton of fan service for horror fans, from HP lovecraft to Stephen King to 80's b horror movies like Re-animator, etc (Jeffrey combs even does some voice work for it).

The combat is probably its weakest point (like many mmo's), it's just a bit boring/repetitive in that department, however I found the stories/characters to make up for that short coming.

It also has a great skill system where you are free to basically make your character however you want, using whatever skills/weapons you decide to, you aren't locked to levels or anything. Just pick two good weapon/skills that work well together and you're good to go.

You can't "fudge" up your character either as there's no skil cap (you can learn every skill in the game) so there's no reason to reroll or anything, just get more exp if you decide to go in another direction with your chararacter.

It's buy to play, like Guild Wars 2, you just have to buy the game and there is no subscription required.

Side note: Darkfall and FFXIV both look really good but they cost money. Anyone play them?

I played FFXIV for a month..If it didn't have a sub, I'd still be playing it casually like I do with swtor..the 'problem' is you hit the grind wall at lvl 50..they've alleviated some of it through subsequent patches I hear, but for those of us at launch, its 'too little, too late' for us...also, the launch itself was a massive clusterfuck of incompetence with servers/infrastructure..I will never forgive yoshi for that

Its on sale on steam for 15 bucks...you WILL get 15 dollars of entertainment for a month's worth of game time..at that point, you'll have to decide if the sub fee is worth it

I'm not positive but I think you might like FFXIV, SE is really good about making rewards subtle and incremental and difficult to obtain. My girl is totally confused why I am not all over FFXIV but I'm trying to explain I just got too old/jaded for games. I have a hard time getting her to snap back to RL from this behemoth SqaureEnix is building so it must be pretty engrossing. I have played with it, and as far as the controls and camera are concerned, it's very very good. Is it worth the monthly fee? My wife would pay whatever they asked. I would pay not to have to play.

The most interest thing I've noticed about what she's actually doing in game is that in FFXI she was a loner and XIV has somehow brought her out into the community, without scaring her. She's all excited about doing dungeons with other people and it's not really like her.

Neverwinter seems to be pretty entertaining if you go into it with low expectations. Hopefully I'll figure out how the party/guild/dungeon parts work soon, as right now it's actually a step behind GW2 in every aspect. Hopefully it'll succeed where GW2 fails.

If I uninstall these ones, Tera is next on the list. Any players?

Edit: Allods Online downloads corrupted files and I've attempted to contact support in three various ways now, all of which just get returned as undeliverable. The fifth strike is you can't easily discern where you're logging into (EU vs NA), so sometimes logging in with your correct credentials doesn't work. All in all, I feel like I'm working pretty hard just to get a game installed and so far haven't succeeded. I can't suggest this one or anything with the name gpotato attached to it. Edit2: Finally got the game installed with a working account name, took me 48 hours and probably 45 minutes of active working and trying to find new buttons to press and things like that. It's a long, long time if you think about just trying to login to a free game.

Last edited:
Back