Need a new Laptop for dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarsusTG

2[H]4U
Bringing this to you guys for your eye's and opinions. I need a laptop for my dad as his finally died. He's a business professional and college professor and uses it exclusively for this purpose.

I am looking for a < $500 laptop of ~15" variety. I would prefer Amazon.com but will consider others. I have used Dell Outlet a few times.
Edit: I have no pref for AMD or Intel. Whatever works

It doesn't need:
dvd/cd rom
1080 screen

It does need:
hdmi out (mini/reg/whatever)
8gb ram (or upgradeable, I have a fry's up the road)

I have a spare 256gb ssd I can put in it if necessary.

My particular hurtles:

Despite my best efforts he still insists on having 8-12gb outlook pst's from office 2003/2007 (yes I know...)

He also does not understand browser tabs. He frequently has 8-12 chrome browsers open with 3-5 tabs each.

He also opens emails full and just minimizes them instead of closing them. Sometimes to the tune of 30+ at a time on top of outlook.

He will frequently (well usually) have several different word and power point projects open at the same time on top of the email and browser stuff.

Ya, I was looking at this one. $569 isn't too far over budget and damn near perfect.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ya, I was looking at this one. $569 isn't too far over budget and damn near perfect.

I wouldn't go with an Edge, but that's just me. The T-series seems to be built a little better.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
T430 with a display port adapter to get you the HDMI, upgraded ram and SSD. Probably run you close to 500 after all is said and done.

I have been away from thinkpads since IBM had them. This seems to fit the bill pretty nicely. I will go with a T430 and call it done. That also gives me the ability to get him a docking station later for his desk at home which is a nice bonus.

Thank you for your advice and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back