Need a new keyboard. Looking for an upgrade

djgizmo

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, after a session of BF3, I got pissed and banged on my keyboard and the back legs broke off my Logitech Access keyboard (media keyboard from back in 2003 ish). It's served me well, but I can't stand using it anymore.

I have big hands. (Left handed)
I'd like to have something that's both comfortable for typing as well as some gaming. (I probably split my time 60/40 on the PC).
I'd like back light or illuminated keys.
Macro recording would be awesome as I need something to help with the multiple keystroke combinations I have to do in my video/audio apps.

I do like to hit my keys kinda hard. (I'm one of those guys you always hear typing loudly). So it needs to be able with stand some abuse.

I need to keep costs below $80 shipped. I don't mind getting used / refurbished if it's looks and feels like new (very close to new condition).

Any suggestions?

I was surfing newegg and I saw the MS SideWinder X4 and SideWinder X6. Both have good reviews, but I'd like some additional opinions.

i'm not sure if you're sick of hearing this already but try a mechanical keyboard! for one they last forever compared to the rubber domes you've been using, so abuse should hardly be an issue. the switches come in a variety of flavors, they all have a different feel so you should try them all to see what you like.

if you don't know anyone with a mechanical you'd probably be able to try the steelseries 6gv2 (mx blacks) and the razer blackwidow (mx blues) at fry's or best buy

i'd recommend wasdkeyboards.com or elitekeyboards.com if you're actually going to buy one though

If you're going to abuse it really bad, consider a Unicomp (modernized IBM Model M)

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Yea, I'm all for a mechanical keyboard... but I need one to fit my budget and meet my other likes/requirements.
If it has macro recording but not back lit keys, I can live with it.
If it has back lit keys, but no macro recording, I can live with it.
If it has neither... can't live with it.

i'm not sure if you're sick of hearing this already but try a mechanical keyboard! for one they last forever compared to the rubber domes you've been using, so abuse should hardly be an issue. the switches come in a variety of flavors, they all have a different feel so you should try them all to see what you like.

if you don't know anyone with a mechanical you'd probably be able to try the steelseries 6gv2 (mx blacks) and the razer blackwidow (mx blues) at fry's or best buy

i'd recommend wasdkeyboards.com or elitekeyboards.com if you're actually going to buy one though

The blackwidow is out of budget. ($120 it seems)
the steelseries 6gv2 looks ok, but the keys seemed to be tightly spaced. (I have big hands, so I don't know if I could rock that either).

I have a Logitech G510 and honestly if it was not for the LCD screen to monitor temps, I would go back to my Microsoft X4.
That fuckin keyboard was beast, sleek, back-lit, the keys were not mushy like the logitech. It has some macros if you need them.
All around solid keyboard, they are around ~$50, sometimes less. I was surprised when switching to the G510 as felt a lot cheaper than the X4
but it was almost twice the price :(

I have a Logitech G510 and honestly if it was not for the LCD screen to monitor temps, I would go back to my Microsoft X4.
That fuckin keyboard was beast, sleek, back-lit, the keys were not mushy like the logitech. It has some macros if you need them.
All around solid keyboard, they are around ~$50, sometimes less. I was surprised when switching to the G510 as felt a lot cheaper than the X4
but it was almost twice the price :(

Cool. I'm going to check out the x4 and x6 in more detail and probably roll with one of them.
If a media access keyboard will last me 8+ years, the ms ones should do fine.

I just got the X4 and it's pretty awesome. It's extremely comfortable and the features are just right. The price is right too ;)

If you don't like it for whatever reason, return it and try something else. I'm sure Newegg won't care :p

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Yea, I'm all for a mechanical keyboard... but I need one to fit my budget and meet my other likes/requirements.
If it has macro recording but not back lit keys, I can live with it.
If it has back lit keys, but no macro recording, I can live with it.
If it has neither... can't live with it.

those omnikey keyboards have mechanical switches and macro recording.

$100 used though.

If you're going to abuse it really bad, consider a Unicomp (modernized IBM Model M)

not enough steel!

Back