Need a New Card ~$300

Vashypooh

2[H]4U
I need a new card for ~300. A friend was going to sell me his 680 for this price but ended up backing out due to other reasons.

What would you all suggest? I am wanting to get away from ATI for a change.

I am leaning towards a 770, but they are $50 more than I really want to spend. Curious if it is really worth it.

Nvidia really doesn't have anything between the $250 and $350 price point. There's just the GTX 760 and the GTX 770. That's a gap that AMD took full advantage of when they released the R9 280X.

Anyway, since you wanted a GTX 680, get the GTX 770. It provides roughly the same performance as the GTX 680.

Doesn't Newegg have 10% off with Masterpass still going on until 12/21?
They seem to periodically run out of the "free" holiday bundles (so you can apply the code), so you might want to check your luck.

Nvidia really doesn't have anything between the $250 and $350 price point. There's just the GTX 760 and the GTX 770. That's a gap that AMD took full advantage of when they released the R9 280X.

Anyway, since you wanted a GTX 680, get the GTX 770. It provides roughly the same performance as the GTX 680.

Want probably isn't the word, just was a pretty decent deal from a friend. I would love to play FFXIV across 3 monitors @ 1080p each but believe this to be unrealistic off of a single 770 or 680 no? My 6950 got like, 10-15fps like that and was just unbearable.

Want probably isn't the word, just was a pretty decent deal from a friend. I would love to play FFXIV across 3 monitors @ 1080p each but believe this to be unrealistic off of a single 770 or 680 no? My 6950 got like, 10-15fps like that and was just unbearable.
You might get like double the FPS with a single GTX 770 with such a config.

I don't know what you would consider playable FPS, but I don't think it's possible for ~30 fps with that kind of a resolution from a single card in that price range. If nothing else, I don't think a 770 has the vram to handle it.

I don't know what you would consider playable FPS, but I don't think it's possible for ~30 fps with that kind of a resolution from a single card in that price range. If nothing else, I don't think a 770 has the vram to handle it.

I can't speak for that particular title, but the 770 shouldn't have any problems getting playable frame rates for most games @ 5760x1080, provided you are realistic with the settings.

I am thinking I will likely do: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...e=UTF8&qid=1387683728&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx+770

then sell off the 3 free games it comes with, and probably get it down to ~300.

Any better suggestions?
Where did you see that it comes with 3 free games?

Though honestly, it's dependent on badly you want and quickly you can get the card. I say that because at $360, it's going to be a really bad price for it once the R9 290 and the R9 280X falls back to their $400 and $300 price points respectively. That may happen next month or the next two months however.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Where did you see that it comes with 3 free games?

Though honestly, it's dependent on badly you want and quickly you can get the card. I say that because at $360, it's going to be a really bad price for it once the R9 290 and the R9 280X falls back to their $400 and $300 price points respectively. That may happen next month or the next two months however.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_lin...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=1679377002&pf_rd_i=B00CZIQXBA

My wifes 470 went tits up and crashes all the time, so I gave her my 6950. I am on my work laptop that has a quattro 3000m in it, and I have overclocked it as far as it will go, but its still not a real gaming card. To its credit, it is taking the OC like a champ. haha.

That's a really nice deal.. how is MSI's warranty support and so forth? I lean towards EVGA based off of past experiences, but I suppose I am not against MSI. My 6950 was MSi and still seems strong.
I have that exact card and its nice. I only had it for few weeks but I just bought an MSI 780 though so mine will be going up in the fs section as soon as I feel like taking a pic. lol

MSI's warranty has always been good. 3 years, based on the serial number. When one of my 6950s went bad they upgraded me to 7870 crossfire (from 6950 crossfire)

The MSI's card went up to 339, so I spent the extra on the EVGA on Amazon and 2.99 next day. Playing on this laptop is killing me.

Thanks all!

Do I need a special adapter for Nvidia cards to run 3 monitors? Or can I do 2 DVI, One HDMI?

I know eyefinity on my card I had a sepcial mini displayport to DVI.

What do you mean tearing?

AMD 7 series and older cards suffered from screen tearing on the desktop because of the required use of at least one DP output. So you'd have 2 monitors using DVI or HDMI, and one using an active DP adapter, which caused some funky stuff.

Back