Need a new Anti Virus...

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

Been using MSE for years now and haven't had a single bit of issues, but I've read recently that MSE has been slacking recently. I've never caught any kind of virus and/or malware, but I figure since I just recently reinstalled Windows on my laptop I'll see what my options are.

Must be free and play well with Steam/Gaming.

i can toss you a license for bitdefender is 2015 if you want to check it out. much better than it used to be

if anybody else would like to have one let me know, got at least 10more to hand out and still have plenty for myself

Avast is my go to for people that need AV but don't want to pay for it in case you don't care for bitdefender.

Also using Avast because of MSE's lackluster support now and missing a couple things as a result.

Why did you guys stop using AVG? According to AV-Comparatives, AVG has better protection than Avast.

if anybody else would like to have one let me know, got at least 10more to hand out and still have plenty for myself
Could I please have one if you still have any left?

Why did you guys stop using AVG? According to AV-Comparatives, AVG has better protection than Avast.
I stopped using AVG quite a while ago. I did so because they made modifications rendering it too intrusive for my taste.

Antivirus 2009.

No, kidding. I just setup Eset for my wife's machine.

I've been using avast for a long time and it's worked well for me. 2015 was kind of a mess until you disable some of the new features. Never liked AVG since they had issues with bad releases and I've had a few customers who have had major issues with it.

If you can wait a bit...last year there were great sales on just about all anti-virus softwares.

I picked up the full Vipre security package, lifetime license, for $50USD. 60% off

I have been using Bitdefender Free. It seems to do a good job, but now that Untangle has started using Bitdefender, I'm wanting to switch to something else so that I still have two layers of security.

Fuck vipre. It hosed four different windows 8 and 8.1 installs.

I have used Eset for years, works great.

eset has been my overall favorite for many years but the price mistake i got in on for bitdefender was like .20 a license and it really seems to keep the virus loving in laws system clean. all replies and pm's responded too.

I prefer Eset as well and recommend it to friends and clients. been using it for years now with no complaints.

I've actually had good experience with Vipre, I have had it running on about 125 of my small business clients for years and not had any issues.

Did someone forget to read the system specifications?:D

What are you talking about? Virpe claims Windows 8 compatibility.

Tried both the business version and the consumer version on vm and hardware installs. All installs latest windows updates and no third party software installed.

*shrug* I gave it a try, but after failing four times I had to go back to eset.

It's a shame because I have heard great things about vipre and was planning on using it for a clients network of 60+ computers.

I've been using Avast for years and mostly it has been an easy experience.
I update the program every few months (virus updates regularly) and cant believe what they have done to it.
It now sends so much information about what you are doing that you need to disable a lot of its features if you care about privacy.
That means disabling the core virtual environment.

Thats assuming the program update is successful.
Mine couldnt find a language file after updating and refused to load the gui.
Then I had no control over its function at all.
There were no fixes apart from complete un-install and re-install which I'm not doing because thats a pita when running a good HIPS.
So I rolled back the Windows system restore point to get the old version of Avast back.
Peaceful bliss.

I DONT recommend the latest Avast.

What are you talking about? Virpe claims Windows 8 compatibility.

Tried both the business version and the consumer version on vm and hardware installs. All installs latest windows updates and no third party software installed.

*shrug* I gave it a try, but after failing four times I had to go back to eset.

It's a shame because I have heard great things about vipre and was planning on using it for a clients network of 60+ computers.

What kind of issues did you run into?

What kind of issues did you run into?

Computers wouldn't boot or they would run extremely slow. I know those are pretty damn generic descriptions but I never received any error messages. I tried disabling HIPS and a few other things (can't remember off the top of my head) with no improvement.

I wouldn't mind giving them another try in a vm or two, but I am not very confident in their product if it can't just work out of the "box". The same machines once I reloaded the os and installed ESET ran just fine. *shrug*

I got a work machine with SEP that runs piss fucking slow. Perhaps there is something related?

Webroot. Small enough to fit on a floppy, and quick as hell.

Fuck BD & Vipre. I've had to fix massive issues caused by both.

Well just bought BD unfortunately, and it HOSED my internet speed and doesn't play well (at all) with other security programs.

Avast for Free and ESET for paid. Works well for me, Doesn't get in the way.

only issue besides slowing down the pc some with bd is most securerom games will not launch without fighting with it alot. wallet and the safe site toolbar slow shit down alot imo for web browsing. I am back to eset on my main machine even though i have more bd licenses left. try disabling the web intergration and test speeds again

Sign up for a free checking account at Ally bank online and then get Webroot for free.

I got vipre business premium on 8 machines. Loving it. Used it at last job on 30+ clients.

I've got vipre business on over 90 machines at various clients, no issues.

MSE , MS said them selves to not use alone last year, keep up with the news people! :)

Avast for home.

we use Vipre at work as well.

Back