Need a network mapping program

Baredor

Gawd
I'm an aspiring network admin (read: noob), and just started on a new position in IT Operations with a manufacturing co. One of my assigned projects is to get their old (very) outdated asset spreadsheet updated. So rather than going around to every piece of equipment, I'd love to use one of those network diagram tools. Unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with such things, so I wanted to ask for suggestions on what to use. I don't need something to manage everything under the sun, I just want it to show me whats out there so I can keep track. The simpler the better, for the time being anyway. Low cost is a big plus as well. Would appreciate your input.

I use Alloy Network Inventory, which is a pretty neat program. However, it requires its client to be installed on every PC, then it returns the information to a central location you specify.

So you can add it into a logon script or such and wait a few days and hope it gets installed succesfully on everything, or you can go install it on all your PCs manually (unless they have a new version out that includes a deploy function that works). Once it's installed it works pretty nicely though.

In my experience, programs that just do network autodiscovery (no client install) are inaccuarate, don't provide much info and don't find all machines. Perhaps someones else has a better reccomendation, but theres my 2 cents....

*Note - It does cost a few hundred bucks, but if you have a network of any size, its worth it. Not a good solution for small networks though.

The client needing an install is a turn off, though I don't have enough experience with these things to know if it's realistic to find one that won't require that. In my little ideal imaginary land, I'd like something that I could install on one of the servers (or even my own client box) that I could set to run in the background and auto-explore on set intervals and/or on a schedule that I specify. We have lots of administrative people that turn their comps off at night, despite us telling them not to, and many thin clients, printers, etc. on the floor that may or may not be on at a particular shift/day of the week. If I could find something that could just run for a week and collect a total list of anything that comes online, that would be huge.

Cost wise, a few hundred can most likely be worked out, given we can justify that we're getting something that really does the things we need.

Thanks for pointing me to Alloy - I'll check it out, but I'd love to hear any other suggestions.

I highly suggest reading this thread. There are some mentions of mapping software in their.

Older versions of Visio used to map.. they took it out of the newer versions though..

Baredor said:
The client needing an install is a turn off, though I don't have enough experience with these things to know if it's realistic to find one that won't require that. In my little ideal imaginary land, I'd like something that I could install on one of the servers (or even my own client box) that I could set to run in the background and auto-explore on set intervals and/or on a schedule that I specify. We have lots of administrative people that turn their comps off at night, despite us telling them not to, and many thin clients, printers, etc. on the floor that may or may not be on at a particular shift/day of the week. If I could find something that could just run for a week and collect a total list of anything that comes online, that would be huge.

Cost wise, a few hundred can most likely be worked out, given we can justify that we're getting something that really does the things we need.

Thanks for pointing me to Alloy - I'll check it out, but I'd love to hear any other suggestions.
I assume you're running a domain?
If so, just add the program to install at login for the connected machines then. Real easy to do, and then all the clients will have it and will be updated as needed... etc...
then just visit the printers and devices that won't be receiving this software.

:edit
also thanks for the recommenation of this software...
I am going to look into it later. Would like something like this at my work... for a future deployment (when we have time)

If you just want something to go out and find every device on your network, there are programs that will do that. However, thats not going to provide you with much info other than the fact that the computer exists. It will find some/most non-PC hardware, if they have an IP address or if they support SNMP. However that still won't find any "dumb" devices, including a lot of network hardware and some printers.

I assumed from your reference to the asset spreadsheet that you would want some info about the hardware, processor speed, memory, software etc of your systems. Thats the sort of stuff you'd want to use Alloy for. If you just want a list of whats connected to your network, then there are pretty easy ways to get that. Visio does it, as was previously mentioned, and here's a link to a list of other common autodiscovery programs:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6329-1061903.html#

Ipswitch WhatsUp Pro is a pretty commonly used tool, I've been pretty impressed by it.

Ezekial said:
I assume you're running a domain?
If so, just add the program to install at login for the connected machines then. Real easy to do, and then all the clients will have it and will be updated as needed... etc...
then just visit the printers and devices that won't be receiving this software.
yep, 2000 mixed. The problem with a client install is that we've got many more thin clients and printers (lasers and Zebras) than actual PCs - many in fact, and I'd rather not be walking around trying to find all of them for a week or so if there's any way around it.

amenthes said:
If you just want something to go out and find every device on your network, there are programs that will do that. However, thats not going to provide you with much info other than the fact that the computer exists. It will find some/most non-PC hardware, if they have an IP address or if they support SNMP. However that still won't find any "dumb" devices, including a lot of network hardware and some printers.

All I really need is something that I can set to continuously explore for live machines and tells me the following:
-DNS name
-IP (a simple flag of static/DHCP would be a great time saver too)
-MAC
-OS and Service Pack, if applicable
-the model, firmware, and IP of every printer we've got (HPs, Lexmarks, and Zebras)

If it can show switches, routers, WAPs, etc, thats great too, but the PCs, thin clients, and printers are a must. So far, I've messed around with Hyena, NEWT(freeware) and Steel Inventory(freeware). The problem is, all I can get these programs to do is query Active Directory, then they start pinging what is listed in AD. This doesn't help me much. AD hasn't been kept very up to date, and there's tons of old machines in there - but I don't know which they are. Plus, I'm on the night shift, when many folks have their machines turned off. I need something that I can set to run over a period of time and actually finds whats there (and doesn't find whats no longer there).

Being able to print a graphical view of the network would be nice, but I mainly need something that I can export the data to Excel.

Sadly, the 3com network supervisor appears to be discontinued. Still checking on the others.

Back