Need a monitor for around $200 or less

My son needs a new monitor and I'd like to keep it around $200. I hope you all can give me some suggestions based on the details below:

GPU: GTX 770
Size: 24" or there about
Resolution: Either 1080p or 1440p Open to suggestions
Games he plays the most: League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3

Normally I'd say for him a 1080p panel would probably be best but with the games he's playing (and an eventual GPU upgrade) maybe a 1440p would be OK? Or is he better with a higher refresh 1080p? I know higher refresh is good for FPS but I don't know about MOBAs.

Also TN, VA, IPS?

With it being only a 770 I would stick with a 1080p IPS.
The higher Hz monitors aren't really going to see much difference in MOBAs, while its nice to have, it taxes the GPU and drives up the monitor cost, it doesn't add near as much value as playing FPS.
Most moba's are beneficial with the ultrawide 21:9's so a 25" would be ideal from a price perspective here's a 25" lg for $160: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV1XB2K/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_ZHlpCbPYV5E9B
If you don't like the ultrawides, you can easily pickup a 27" model name brand for that price (LG/Dell/Samsung)

Your other option is to look at used, you could likely find some decent 24-27" 1080p for <$125 from folks upgrading to 4k.

I might even have a Dell U2415m lying around if you're interested in that.
Edit: If you opted for used and got the monitor under 100$ putting that second $100 into a new GPU would do wonders.
you could get a 970 pretty readily for about $125 (maybe even $100 if someone's looking to clear it quickly)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
LG 29WK600 all the way. You can find it at or close to $200. I'm incredibly satisfied with this ultrawide.

I have the bit larger Dell U3415w, it takes week or two to get used to the resolution and span, but is really immersive.

Back