need a little help

who

Weaksauce
ok i am going to do a job at a school to wire the whole school. there is about 70 rooms and i need to figure out how i am going to wire them. i am going to get 3 servers some swithches and some hub but how would i configure then and also what software would you use. on this

ok I'm sorry but you're in way over your head... or doing a homework assignment that you need help with, lol

plus there's not enough information, you need to know floors, layout of floors, what's the goal? what applications will run on servers often dictate what you go with etc...

millions unanswered questions you got there.

OK it is single level, microsft server 2003 with exchange and it is for a highschool so computer lab, grades and web use will be the basis of the system.

then why ask what software would we use? You got software figured out so far. Call other school systems in the area to see what they use for grading etc... I am not familiar with that.

still not enough info, but on a single level... I'd run long cat5 data drops within max limits of course, otherwise you have to segment the LAN with those switches so you don't exceed recommended distances, if you can get away with that then have a switch/patch panel rack , get rack mounted servers on a 2nd rack and phone system on a 3rd, use the hubs as spacers so the racks don't wobble on uneven floor etc...

it's just too generic , it depends on size of server room, size of building... sorry guy, you won't get much specific help from anyone here unless they like to guess.

zrac said:
then why ask what software would we use? You got software figured out so far.

still not enough info, but on a single level... I'd run long cat5 data drops within max limits of course, otherwise you have to segment the LAN with those switches so you don't exceed recommended distances, if you can get away with that then have a switch/patch panel rack , get rack mounted servers on a 2nd rack and phone system on a 3rd, use the hubs as spacers so the racks don't wobble on uneven floor etc...

it's just too generic , it depends on size of server room, size of building... sorry guy, you won't get much specific help from anyone here unless they like to guess.

what i was thinking, new way more information....

sorry the server room is mor of an old janitor closet...lol......i am just doing this for a rivate church school and trying to do it cost effiecient, jut found out tat they are partly wired and just want to be finished up so it might be easy

who said:
sorry the server room is mor of an old janitor closet...lol......i am just doing this for a rivate church school and trying to do it cost effiecient, jut found out tat they are partly wired and just want to be finished up so it might be easy
your doing a network job and asking us for help? What company do you work for? Because they need to train ther Tech's better ;)

Let me say this once, and I hope it is heard.

Who, whoever you are, you are in over your head. I work with school districts all the time to clean up messes from people who think they are doing the school a favor.

If you are really serious about doing this school a favor, PM me your cell and I'll call you and give you advice. Better yet, PM me the phone number of the person at this school who is considering cutting every cost possible and I'll talk to them about the difference between paying less and paying to get nothing.

Being an educator this type of post really hits home to me. Don't think there is never money to do the right job.

Also, don't think I'm unwilling to help. We all have to learn somewhere, but please don't make the school suffer because you wouldn't accept advice from someone who's in the know.

Well at least you provide some useful information to go along with your pretentious self glorifying drivel.

OP, you have no business undertaking this sort of job. Gracefully as you can, remove yourself from consideration and have the school hire professionals. .

Back