Need a little help choosing a motherboard

Cataulin

[H]ard|Gawd
picked up a 5800x recenetly and wanted to get a motherboard. the local best buys only have the asus x570 tuf gaming and msi x570 gaming edge. not really a fan of either board due to looks. What do y.all recommend? I would like to get 3 m.2 slots and my price range is about 3-400 dollars US.

At that price, the MSI X570 Tomahawk or the MSI X570 Unify would be my first choices. The GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master is another good option. For a bit less, the B550 Aorus Master is a nice alternative but you give up full PCIe 4.0 compatibility.

what board do you have? also does the Unify or the Tomahawk have any kind of accent lighting?

I don't have a Ryzen CPU but I've researching for my own purchase. I would stay away from ASUS . They don't honor their warranties. I have come to the conclusion that I will be buying the Gigabyte Aorus Master X570.

what board do you have? also does the Unify or the Tomahawk have any kind of accent lighting?

Minimal RGB lighting on the Tomahawk and none on the Unify. As for what boards I have, I review motherboards (and other hardware) so I have a bunch of them. I used to review motherboards for HardOCP back when it was operational. I've tested the Unify and you can read my review of that motherboard here. My personal system used to run the MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE until recently, when I switched to the Maximus XII Extreme. (Because I can't buy a 5950X.)

Minimal RGB lighting on the Tomahawk and none on the Unify. As for what boards I have, I review motherboards (and other hardware) so I have a bunch of them. I used to review motherboards for HardOCP back when it was operational. I've tested the Unify and you can read my review of that motherboard here. My personal system used to run the MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE until recently, when I switched to the Maximus XII Extreme. (Because I can't buy a 5950X.)
Thanks. between the Aorus and the Tomahawk which would you pick? Im leaning towards the Aorus. Also do you have recommendations on ram kits? Im using a older 3300mhz 64gb corsair rbg kit and I dont think its listed in the QVL for either companies board.

wraith
I had the same issue with MSI claiming a damaged fan header caused my board to fail. I made a thread on it in 2019 and I was left without a board for a whole month. All companies will lie/cheat to get you out of warranty. Its nothing new.

I would bite the bullet and get the Dark Hero. Until other brands come out with the OC feature the Dark Hero has, they'll all be "also rans" in the overclocking realm.

Dunno if you've read up on it but you can manually overclock the all-core yet retain the ability to use the boost clocks for single core performance with only the Asus Dark Hero. None of the other boards allow that. It gives you the best of the single core performance and multi-core performance... Last I saw it was ~$400 so it's at the far upper edge of your price range, but it seems worth every penny.

Thanks. between the Aorus and the Tomahawk which would you pick? Im leaning towards the Aorus. Also do you have recommendations on ram kits? Im using a older 3300mhz 64gb corsair rbg kit and I dont think its listed in the QVL for either companies board.

wraith
I had the same issue with MSI claiming a damaged fan header caused my board to fail. I made a thread on it in 2019 and I was left without a board for a whole month. All companies will lie/cheat to get you out of warranty. Its nothing new.
Maybe, Asus is currently the worst company when it comes to RMA/support imo.

I would bite the bullet and get the Dark Hero. Until other brands come out with the OC feature the Dark Hero has, they'll all be "also rans" in the overclocking realm.

Dunno if you've read up on it but you can manually overclock the all-core yet retain the ability to use the boost clocks for single core performance with only the Asus Dark Hero. None of the other boards allow that. It gives you the best of the single core performance and multi-core performance... Last I saw it was ~$400 so it's at the far upper edge of your price range, but it seems worth every penny.
It seems to be sold out everywhere.

Back