Need a laptop - and it must come from circuit city

Klade

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I have a friend with a home business and he needs a sturdy business laptop. At the absolute limit the price is set at 1000$ with much preference to things being cheaper. The real emphasis here though is on it being sturdy. A metal case would be a huge plus since he is not as delicate as he should be with machines. This will not be a gaming machine under any sense of the word so I am not concerned about that.

However, this will almost certainly be running Windows Vista so 2 gigs+ is an absolute must. A non-intel graphics solution would also be my preference, but thats more a bonus.

The programs this machine will be running are pretty simple. I expect word, excel, quickbooks, internet browsers, email, and cd burning programs. Thats really it.

The real kicker though is that because of finances it absolutely positively MUST come from Circuity City. There is no way to get around this (I tried). Here is a link to all the laptops they offer under 1000. Any advice on the exact model would be greatly appreciated.

Well it seems that all you need is a basic laptop for regular joe type of things. I'd pretty much just sort it by Positive reviews and go from there. I think pretty much anything these days will be able to run the MS office suite.

All basic 2d stuff, why the no intel graphics preference? Integrated graphics have come a long way, especially intel. And if you aren't using 3d graphics, you can spend/save the money elsewhere.

Basically - go with something inexpensive - a dual core with 2gb ram (tho adding ram is not a major issue and not too expensive and does not void warranty)
This should work fine: Compaq F755US
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Comp...99871/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
$499.96 after rebate ($30)
add word office and good to go
(note: the amd is better than the T2330 intel - the T5450 little faster than the amd)
The graphics for the amd will be a little better than the intels in this range too.
Do not be duped tho - the graphics in this range are all incorporated into the northbridge chip and not independent

This should be sturdy enough for your friend. Getting a metal casing is not really possible in this price range - just buy a neoprene sleeve and a good carrying case - should not be an issue (suggestion: see if you can talk the manager into giving you a good deal on the sleeve, case, software and computer...)
I have used a F730US (its predecessor) and found it to be a less expensive version of the lower end dv6000us series by HP (same laptop - same processors, same memory, same dvd burner, same motherboard)
For example here is a similar HP (bigger drive, slightly faster cpu, but basically same system - costs $649.96)
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-P...99874/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Oh yeah, look at these deals on accessories:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/gene...ry offers with any laptop purchase-_-Shop now

All basic 2d stuff, why the no intel graphics preference? Integrated graphics have come a long way, especially intel. And if you aren't using 3d graphics, you can spend/save the money elsewhere.

You'll also save on heat and battery consumption. I can't see how anything besides integrated graphics would be the best choice for your friend.

Back