Need a joystick for GTA V and flight sim. Recommend?

Rob94hawk

2[H]4U
So my son wants a joystick for his games. Nothing too expensive. Preferably under $50.

Thanks

I use the Xbox 360 controller....but I believe the Xbox One controller will work as well.

Does he already have 360 controller(s)? If not, that's a no brainer. Get the wireless USB receiver and you can run up to 4 wireless 360 controllers from it. Lots of fun to be had there.

I just started playing GTA V a couple weeks ago - loving that game! I started out using about 50/50 M/KB and then switching to the 360 controller for driving. But the more I play, the more I'm getting used to KB/M for driving too, so I'm using KB/M more like 85% of the time now.

I even use the KB/M for flying now, but the 360 controller works perfectly if you want more precision. For GTA5 at least, that's all the precision you're going to need.

Sorry, I'm no help on other joystick recommendations.

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=logitech_3d_pro-_-26-102-204-_-Product

It has a throttle and twist axis and it's a good value for the money.

I have this one and it's great. Not too expensive, and works well. OP might have to adjust the dead-zones a bit tho. I've noted that it seems to have trouble sometimes with drifting when it should be at zero on both axes, but that might just be some variance between sensitivity settings in individual games.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
T.16000M from Thrustmaster. Flying with it in Elite and BAttlefront, and I'm happy with it.

GTA V does not support joysticks. You can get it to think it's a 360 controller, but it winds up being terrible.

Does he already have 360 controller(s)? If not, that's a no brainer. Get the wireless USB receiver and you can run up to 4 wireless 360 controllers from it. Lots of fun to be had there.

I just started playing GTA V a couple weeks ago - loving that game! I started out using about 50/50 M/KB and then switching to the 360 controller for driving. But the more I play, the more I'm getting used to KB/M for driving too, so I'm using KB/M more like 85% of the time now.

I even use the KB/M for flying now, but the 360 controller works perfectly if you want more precision. For GTA5 at least, that's all the precision you're going to need.

Sorry, I'm no help on other joystick recommendations.

The KB/M issue i have with games like that is its all or nothing theres no moderation with steering, or fine tuned throttle or brake control you get with controller. What we need would be a keyboard with a few pressure sensitive keys, that would rock.

To the OP i used this one for years before putting it in storage in favor of the 360 controller. Has everything you need and i found the adjustable features nice and well done instead of cheap and flimsy.

I would strongly consider seeing if a controller would work better for him. Joysticks are nice but they seem to just take up space 90% of the time and the controller is much more versatile.

I have to ask...

I noticed that Good old games (or something like that) released X-Wing and Tie Fighter.

What are the chances of a Xbox one controller or new stick would work for those?

Back