Need a gpu recommendation for ~$200

PoweredBySoy

2[H]4U
I've been looking at so many reviews and benchmarks my eyes are starting to glaze over - and I feel like I keep going in circles with my final decision. I'd like to hear some thoughts from you guys.....

1680 resolution
I don't tend to use a whole lot of AA. Usually 2xAA if any.
Current cpu is an E6400 overclocked @ 2.8
Replacing a 8800GTS 640.

Looking to keep price around $200.

Right now I'm debating between the 4850 1GB versus a 9800GTX+ 512. The Raedon definitely seems like the more elegant solution - being smaller, drawing less power, and with a nice Zerotherm heatsink already installed. But in (some) benchmarks the 9800GTX+ seems to have a bit more raw power to it.

One thing I am concerned about though is space. Currently with my 8800 I only have about an extra 1/2 inch of space to work with. I'm not sure how much longer a 9800 would be....

Always open to other suggestions as well.

Love.

get the 260gtx

only 210/220 on the egg and will own both those cards

best deal at the moment

Damn it. I knew you guys were going to suggest that.

For one, it goes fairly well over my $200 target. The cheapest GTX260 I can find is $240 - as I don't ever count on rebates. I know, I know, it's a measly $40......

For two, I seriously question the ability of my case to house a GTX260. That card is massive (although, much bigger than a 9800GTX?).

For three, I'm a tad concerned about my older cpu starting to bottleneck these higher end cards. I was trying to find a gpu that compliments the rest of my system.

I'm certainly not ruling it out, but I'll have to do a bit more GTX260 research.

his builds a dual slot, rear exhaust 4850 512 for 184.99 at newegg. its the bee's knees for a cramped htpc. i've been playing gow and dead space at 19x10 on my lcd tv with very generous frame rates minus aa. looking forward to trying far cry 2 on it tonight.

I've been looking at so many reviews and benchmarks my eyes are starting to glaze over - and I feel like I keep going in circles with my final decision. I'd like to hear some thoughts from you guys.....

1680 resolution
I don't tend to use a whole lot of AA. Usually 2xAA if any.
Current cpu is an E6400 overclocked @ 2.8
Replacing a 8800GTS 640.

Looking to keep price around $200.

Right now I'm debating between the 4850 1GB versus a 9800GTX+ 512. The Raedon definitely seems like the more elegant solution - being smaller, drawing less power, and with a nice Zerotherm heatsink already installed. But in (some) benchmarks the 9800GTX+ seems to have a bit more raw power to it.

One thing I am concerned about though is space. Currently with my 8800 I only have about an extra 1/2 inch of space to work with. I'm not sure how much longer a 9800 would be....

Always open to other suggestions as well.

Love.

9800GTX is a big card. Longer than the 4870 I traded it for. I had one and was forced to move my HD just to fit it in. If you have no such option, then look carefully at the measurement specs before choosing.

Damn it. I knew you guys were going to suggest that.

For one, it goes fairly well over my $200 target. The cheapest GTX260 I can find is $240 - as I don't ever count on rebates. I know, I know, it's a measly $40......

For two, I seriously question the ability of my case to house a GTX260. That card is massive (although, much bigger than a 9800GTX?).

For three, I'm a tad concerned about my older cpu starting to bottleneck these higher end cards. I was trying to find a gpu that compliments the rest of my system.

I'm certainly not ruling it out, but I'll have to do a bit more GTX260 research.

In Hot Deal BFG had a GTX260 for I wanna say $219 with a $20MIR. Since you're at 1680x1050 you want a higher end gpu. Your 2.8Ghz is moderately OK even for the 260. Its more money but a lot of budget gamers like myself went with the E7200 [$119]. I got mine at 3.6Ghz. As you know the upgrade cycle never ends

For two, I seriously question the ability of my case to house a GTX260. That card is massive (although, much bigger than a 9800GTX?)..

From what I have found, both the 9800GTX and GTX 260 are 10.5 inches. If not, my HD cage is getting removed when my GTX 260 arrives later today :eek:

I just noticed that for the GTX260 the 6-pin's go into the side of the card. That may actually buy me a lot of room - as it's the 6-pin that's currently encroaching on my harddrives.

I just noticed that for the GTX260 the 6-pin's go into the side of the card. That may actually buy me a lot of room - as it's the 6-pin that's currently encroaching on my harddrives.

I'm sure you'll find a way to make it fit in there. Most mid towers have just enough room to accomodate them

Yes, that's the first thing I noticed when popping in the GTX 280, the pins are on the side which is great...

I can fit both 4870X2 and GTX 280 into my tiny Lian-Li A05b case and they work just great..

And also, please get the GTX 260 don't be like that guy getting the 8800Ultra instead because it's the big dog of last year lol :p

Yeeeeeeah, shit. I don't think it's going to fit, fellas. I mean, it probably could if I rewired my harddrives - and even then it may butt up against the cage (Antec P150). I'll just take this as a sign from above that this card isn't meant for my current rig, regardless of how fast or cheap it is.

I'll probably take Pao's advice and get a 512 4850 and save ~$70 in the process. It'll still be a much welcome upgrade.

I recommend the 512mb 4850, based on what you said. In reality, you probably won't need more and can pick it up for $130-150.

Yeah 1GB on a 4850 is not worth the extra $$ there is not a tangible performance gain

Back