Need a good (quiet) card for a Shuttle

Xrave

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm using a Shuttle PC and have a passively cooled 4850 HD (dual slot). However I'm getting overheating issues when doing games for about an hour or so. Any recommendations on good gaming cards that are quiet (passively cooled a plus)?

Would prefer single slot to give the card more room to breath since there're some wiring concerns in this case when using a dual slot card.

HD5750 passive? About the same speed, yet it consumes much less power.

Unfortuneately, you are not going to fine any fast single slot passive cards. Fastest I can think of is some HD5570? Just not a lot out there.

Single slot active fan? HD5770 XFX seemed to get good reviews from HWcanucks. It's no pushover, either.

I don't think you'll get a quiet and fast card. Are you okay with fan noise while gaming or does it have to be passive or with a quiet fan?

I owned a SD37P2 for a while which had a 400 watt PSU. I picked dual slot cooling cards for it because of the rear blower fan which tended to blow hot air out of the case as opposed to into it. At first it was a X1950 XT then I switched it out for a 3850 and finally crammed a 4890 into it; all of them worked fine. The 4890 actually fit by like a couple of millimeters.

One thing you can't get away from is how hot these Shuttles are, they're nice and compact but cramming so many components into such a small footprint has consequences. After I installed the 4890 I usually ran the system with the cover completely off because it was so big it obscured the ventilation holes cut into the case side. It was ugly as sin but ran fine for a few months before I built my current system.

As an alternative i propose the twin cooler Gigabyte GTX 460. I have that in my computer and it's fairly quiet (fans almost never goes past 50%) :)

Active cooling can be fine as long as the card can passively cool itself when not in a game. Any card that can completely turn the fan off for non 3D apps and still be able to cool itself?

Back