Need a good overclocking chip recommendation.

0zymandias

Weaksauce
My friend has inherited my old mobo and vid card and needs a new 939 processor to go with. The mobo is a msi k8n neo2 plat.

What I'm looking for is a nice cheap chip that can be overclocked without too much hassle on air cooling to be a decent gaming proc. Any suggestions?

the cheapest s939 chips are usually the venice cores, which are great overclockers. ive got my 3200(2ghz) running at 2.53ghz right now on air with much more room to go before it tops out.

forumlol8mk.jpg

200 hours in MS Paint

0zymandias said:
My friend has inherited my old mobo and vid card and needs a new 939 processor to go with. The mobo is a msi k8n neo2 plat.

What I'm looking for is a nice cheap chip that can be overclocked without too much hassle on air cooling to be a decent gaming proc. Any suggestions?

.......my Opteron 148 CABNE.....its everything you want except cheap.

14X Opterons are the best, followed by the Venice core AMD64s. Specifically the 3000 and 3200. The difference between the 3000 and the 3200 is that the 3000 has a 9x multiplier and the 3200 has a 10x multiplier.

Opterons generally run much cooler than the Venice as well as they have a better track record for overclocking.

ya and people are selling their opteron 144s on this forum you can snag one for like $160 that will do 2.8 and higher on stock voltages and stock air cooling easy...

zenzog said:
forumlol8mk.jpg

200 hours in MS Paint

Are you trying to suggest that he should search the forums?

p.s. the 144 retails for around 130 if you want to try your luck

Yes thank you for the wonderful lesson on searching. I'd rather not read a post that's 2 months old and gives advice that is possibly out of date. People here tend to know what's the best deal NOW as opposed to a week, a month, a year ago. For example, if I had searched the day the 7900gs came out I made have found the 7800gt was a very good buy, whereas if I'd posted about it I would have been told the 7900gs was a good buy.

MC FLMJIG said:
LOL I take it you don't have an Opty!
Well they should, shouldn't they? Unless of course you don't seat them properly or you use 10 cubic CM of thermal paste. They are supposedly higher quality chips that should be able to run on lower voltages. So if you undervolt them, you should be able to get the same performance and cooler temperatures.

Something along those lines... I didn't explain it well... It's late >.<

Shameless Liar said:
Well they should, shouldn't they? Unless of course you don't seat them properly or you use 10 cubic CM of thermal paste. They are supposedly higher quality chips that should be able to run on lower voltages. So if you undervolt them, you should be able to get the same performance and cooler temperatures.

This is true, generally.

(I can't think of an instance when it's not true, but just so people don't argue...)

You take both cores and leave them @ 1.4 the Opty will be much hotter. I've played with about half dozen 146's and none of them were as cool vs the venices'. I still nevertheless own a 146 Cabye and wouldn't change it with any single core chip (unless give me FX 57 for free).

You can undervolt it but you can slightly do that with a venice.

No comparison in temp. I'd say @ least about 5 degrees.

Back