Need a Good Low cost Power supply

Well from what i can tell looking at the board it has a 2x4 atx connector so thats why i assume i need that plug

you just missed black friday, last year i got a antec 1000watt for $130

this post is not helpful at all.

Sir, you might want to consider reading some PSU reviews. While cost is something to consider in some builds, skimping and buying the cheapest PSU is NOT a good idea, because often they are on the low end of the quality scale. If you buy a shit ass off-brand PSU, your parts could be vulnerable to the dips perpetuated by the power supply.

While this is not to say you should invest in a $240 1200W PSU, i'm just saying you shouldn't buy a $30 PSU from Apevia lol.

also leave yourself a little headroom when you buy your PSU, you should combine the total wattage and then see if it falls under the level of the total wattage of the PSU you want at 80 percent PSU efficiency.

This is because pretty much not all PSU's operate at 100 percent efficiency, and only a few break 80 percent IIRC (correct me if wrong), so that's the general idea.

i recommend reading this FAQ from Mr. Johnny Guru

http://www.jonnyguru.com//forums/showthread.php?t=1036

btw Corsair is a good brand, you might wanna leave yourself with a little more headroom for any future upgrades you might want to do, this way you can reuse the PSU over another build if you desire to.

Well from what i can tell looking at the board it has a 2x4 atx connector so thats why i assume i need that plug

Oh, Well a 4Pin CPU connector would still work in the 8Pin slot. However the Corsair 400CX already comes with that 8Pin connector (or 4+4) CPU connector. So in other words, no worries on any sort of connector issue.

you just missed black friday, last year i got a antec 1000watt for $130

Way to spam in an attempt to increase your post count. When you post, at least make an attempt to post something useful.

I believe the 8 pin connector is only needed if you plan on over-clocking the board. The standard 4 pin should work fine. If not they sell an adapter for around $5.

Edit: Apparently the PSU you are looking at already has the 8 pin.

Well can anyone suggest something a little higher wattage then the corsair suggested?

Why waste more money also? The Corsair 400CX that Danny mentioned for $49.99 ($10 MIR) w/free shipping is a good deal right now. It will run your setup just fine. If you're considering O/C the cpu and upgrading the 9800GT video card then next thing would be the Antec EA650 for $74.99 w/free shipping

Well can anyone suggest something a little higher wattage then the corsair suggested?

Why do you need more wattage than 400W? What else are you trying to power that you haven't told us about? lol. From what I've read so far, your system isn't even pulling 300W at full load (and its probably much less in reality), assuming the rest of your parts to be: 2 sticks of RAM, modest OC on CPU, no OC on GPU, and a single DVD Burner.

I agree, the CX 400W is probably your best bang for buck, according to your needs listed so far.

Looks to me like it would fit your bill nicely. Thermaltake power supplies are usually pretty decent. I like to use their 430w PSUs in a lot of PC builds, I've bought over 20 of them and not a single failure yet, over a 3 year period.

The non-RX Purepowers and below would be fine for non-demanding hardware (ie. no power hungry GPU; non-OC'd CPU/GPU; etc). Though, there are still some issues with these units that should deter you:

Yup got a few objections:
No mention of what temperature it was rated at
No mention of the total amperage on the +12V rail
No mention of whether or not it was rated at peak or continuous load
No proper/real review whatsoever showing that PSU being capable of providing its rated wattage.

Such missing specs suggests that Tt is still using an OLD design, most likely adapted from the days when the systems drew most of their power from the +3.3v and +5v rails (pre-P4 era; systems without the 4-pin/8-pin ATX12V P4 connector to power the CPU). Therefore, if you want to power a modern system, such PSUs should be avoided. An easy giveaway is the extremely low +12v rail(s). Modern systems pull most of the power from the +12v rail(s), so you'd be better served by an updated, more efficient PSU instead. You can only GUESS what the power availability is on the +12v rail with this PSU, so its not even worth considering -- especially since the Corsair is cheaper and provides MORE power where you need it -- on the +12v rail. Additionally, the Corsair is 80+ certified, so you know its efficient.

Now, if you're a brand loyalist and want to stick with Tt for a modern system, choose their higher end lines, like the Toughpower or Purepower RX.

Back