need a good budget 24/27" 120hz 1080p monitor for gaming

Ticker305

[H]ard|Gawd
Been out of the loop when it comes to monitors, was looking at some of the Benq and Asus offering and not sure if the new pricier 144hz lightboost models are worth the extra cost. I have an AMD card and last I heard lightboost was a headache and half for non Nvidia users. I plan on using it to game exclusively, no 3d movies or anything and keeping my ips for web browsing. Any leads or help would be greatly appreciated

If you want to game in 3D, then you should trade in for an Nvidia card. AMD has a 3D solution, but it's mostly limited to 720P on HDMI monitors. If you want the full 1080P in 3D then go Nvidia.

I have an AMD card and last I heard lightboost was a headache and half for non Nvidia users.
You might be interested to know that the newer ToastyX Strobelight utility simplified that, by allowing you to turn on/off LightBoost via a hotkey.

I just purchased an ASUS 27", (I had a 24" Dell display before) here are the details:

ASUS VG278HE Black 27" 2ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50,000,000:1 Built-in Speakers 3D ready, Height, Swivel adjustable

Price: $379.99 USD, bought it at Newegg

I'm playing World of Warplanes and Hitman Absolution, and enjoying every minute of it.

Just ordered an ASUS VG248QE open box for $220, too good of a deal to pass up and worst case I send it back. I almost forgot to add a mini displayport adapter but luckily was able to add it later to my order at the last second which saved my weekend. Well I cant wait to join the 120hz club and happy to hear Lightboost now supports AMD cards, thanks Toasty!

Last edited:
I just purchased an ASUS 27", (I had a 24" Dell display before) here are the details:

ASUS VG278HE Black 27" 2ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50,000,000:1 Built-in Speakers 3D ready, Height, Swivel adjustable

Price: $379.99 USD, bought it at Newegg

I'm playing World of Warplanes and Hitman Absolution, and enjoying every minute of it.

I just bought this exact one from Amazon. Got it from the warehouse deals in "like new condition" for $335. Going from a triple 23" Dell 2312HM's to one 27" 144Hz monitor. I never could get used to the "fish eye" view on the side monitors when it came to triple screen gaming. I found it too distracting.

If you want to game in 3D, then you should trade in for an Nvidia card. AMD has a 3D solution, but it's mostly limited to 720P on HDMI monitors. If you want the full 1080P in 3D then go Nvidia.

My AMD card is connected to my monitor via Displayport. It works really well in 3D @1080p. Thinking of adding a second 7950, but I want to check out the new cards in October.

Back