Need a game suggestion

spadefoot

Limp Gawd
I know what I'm looking for, but I just need some help finding a game that does it...

I'm looking for a space-exploration/research kind of game, but without a ton of combat. Ideally, I'd like to buy a ship, explore the galaxy, find stuff, sell stuff, upgrade my ship, maybe research things and maybe a little combat thrown in every now and then. Really just looking for something I can mess around with w/o having to get super-serious about resource management or anything.

Preferably something I can buy and download. Any suggestions?

It's quite old now but Freelancer fits your description nicely (if you haven't played it already of course)

Thanks for the suggestions! Downloading X3 now..

Freelancer is a great suggestion, but I've played it already. Thanks though!

X3. It's highly complicated but probably as close to the old "Elite" from Bell & Braben as it gets. Best Space exploration/Trading game by far.

Whew, OK, after a couple tries at poking around in the universe, X3 is WAAAAAY more complicated than I'm looking for. I found a couple of "quick start" docs on the web, but all of them assume you know a fair amount about the game and include as their first few steps things like "Explore sectors X,Y and Z", without any explanation of how to actually go about doing that.

There doesn't appear to be a tutorial.... I plugged through the manual for a while, but again, it seems to assume you understand underlying things about the universe that aren't apparent to me. Oh well, maybe some day when I break a leg and can't get off the couch, I'll make another run at it.

Any other suggestions?

Ok, here are the 3 games i play on and off, depending what i am in the mood for:

1. X3 (the most complicated but also the most rewarding of the 3. It takes a long time to get used to it and is maybe a little boring at the beginning...

2. Spaceforce Rogue Universe. A good game with bad reviews. Not sure why but this game universally either get's high 80ies or low 30ies. It's a love/hate game and i think worth a try.... $9.99 on steam.

3. Darkstar One. The sibling to Privateer as many call it. It's a try to recreate Privateer and it's done shamelessly so. Also the most action packed one of the three. Good game overall i think. Also $9.99 on Steam (or get it in the bundle with the excellent Particians III for $14.99).

One of those above three should satisfy your hunger for this genre. By the way, X3 has "Terran Conflict" out, which makes it a little easier to get into as well as giving it a little better interface and a small tutorial. I hope you bought that version. X3 also can be heavily modded. Try the Battlestar Galactica mod.

I played Darkstar One back when it came out, enjoyed it, as I recall. Cloning Privateer is not a bad way to go.

I did not get the Terran add on for X3, but I think when I looked the bundle was the same price as the two bits purchased separately. Maybe I'll give that a try. So far x3 looks like Single Player EVE Online. It's like it's exactly what I'm looking for, except they forgot that it was possible that someone hadn't been playing the whole series, so they left out the tutorial bits.

Thanks!

Oh, also, i totally forgot, there is this website you HAVE to visit:

http://www.starwraith.com

you might find what you're looking for there...it's an indie developer but trust me.....it'll WOW you.

And never forget that Jumpgate Evolution is coming somtime as well....but who knows when. Time to fire up some Star Control II later today ;)

Legends looks good, trying the demo.

you might find what you're looking for there...it's an indie developer but trust me.....it'll WOW you.

And never forget that Jumpgate Evolution is coming somtime as well....but who knows when. Time to fire up some Star Control II later today ;)

Yeah, i tried the demo as well and i'm seriously considering buying it. It seems they put a lot of effort into the game and sure it has a good community and even Multiplayer. I might just jump for the ful version sometime this weekend.

Man, I dunno, I guess I'm just looking to be spoon-fed or something, but why is this stuff all so complicated? I wanna zoom around, buy some stuff, sell some stuff, buy some upgrades/new ship from time to time. Maybe I'll run across something interesting, or an occasional pirate to fight. I don't want to have to manually fly across the universe, or try to read a nearly indecipherable star chart or whatever... sheesh. I think I'm just a wimp, or maybe too old for this stuff.

Have you looked into Starlancer? It's kind of like a Freelancer-Light. It's more combat focused, however.

Yep, played that one a loong time ago. Not really looking for combat, really, X3 and that Wraith game are just about perfect, with the exception of introducing way too much way too soon.

thanks for the suggestion, though!

Wow, thanks for the link, that looks pretty awesome.

Have you tried EVE? There's ways around combat, but it does have combat. Not sure if you were wanting single player or mutliplayer.

man i always pick up and look at x3 when i go to get a new game or dl something new but i can never tell if im going to like it or not

Back