Need a FREE utility to clone an IDE HD

SarverSystems

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got an arcade machine that I want to clone the HD of. I want to clone it before it dies so I have a backup.

The drive is an IDE drive.

It contains an OS (not sure what OS, but I think its just DOS, I'll get a better look later if it makes a difference), drivers for the touchscreen, and whatever the software is that the games run from.

It is the boot drive.

I need to be able to just swap out the drive with the replacement, when this drive fails.

Suggestions? And thanks!

Clonezilla is almost built for this. Otherwise, a Linux boot disk and use 'dd' to grab the raw disk image.

I'd immediately try writing the image to a new disk and see if it functions, to be sure. Also, arcade cabinets might have some funky compatibility/lockout features that may require certain brands/models of hard drive - better to figure that out in advance.

While you're at it you may want to grab some IDE<->SATA bridges to hedge against unavailability of IDE drives over time, and see if they work with the hardware.

He's got a ton of IDE drives, but I'll mention the adapter to him and see what he says. I agree, upgradeability is always a bonus!

Might even go to an SSD drive, if I can talk him into it.

Back