Need a deep format program.

mobusta1

2[H]4U
I'm selling my laptop with a HD and I need some kind of software that will do a deep clean. I remember a bootdisk software that was being passed around a few years that did a deep clean that took around 24 hrs.

Lots of people will recommend DBAN - Darik's Boot and Nuke. Never personally used it, though.

I like Active@killdisk myself.

There are other options, such as making a BartPE disc, I suppose, or getting some *questionable* discs which I won't mention here.

Eraser, which is based on DBAN but provides a GUI for it and some additional options. Just be careful with these tools and read everything onscreen - one mistake and you'll toast every drive in your box with a single click.

SO PAY ATTENTION to what you're doing. :)

You might also want to check your hard drive manufacturer websites for a total format or low level format solutions from their utility software.

Edit: also check your BIOS. My HP 6710b laptop has a function in its BIOS called Disk Sanitizer that wipes your drive utterly.

Low level formatting is a thing of the past, and technically should only be done one time in the lifetime of a hard drive, soooo... while there are actual low level formatting tools out there if you go digging around for 'em, they are not recommended and can actually damage a drive and render it useless if something goes wrong during the process.

Back