Need a cable for an old x800xt-pe

Mister E

2[H]4U
Hey all. I want to hook an old Dell Dimension 8300 to our Pioneer plasma TV. The flat screen is over 3 years old so it doesn't have a VGA or DVI connection. Best I can hope for is a S-Video to component connection. Can you guys help me find a cable or adapter for this purpose? Thanks.

P.S. I've had little luck online. The sites I visit are confusing and I don't want to buy some stupid conversion box for $100 that I don’t need.

Thanks in advance.

Does your x800xt-pe actually have a s-video port?

Some of the svideo to component connections one video cards are specific to that video card and other adapters may not work besides the one that came with the card, but they are fairly cheap so you don't have much to lose to try it out.

Does your plasma screen support HDMI? If so, just use a DVI to HDMI adapter, they are really cheap and easy to come by.

Ok sorry I'm tardy to the party. It's an older Pioneer plazma with only ONE (and its used) freaking HDMI port. No VGA or computer monitor port.

The s-video out on the x800 (ATi brand) is in a 2, 4, 3 pin configuration, top to bottom.

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Ok sorry I'm tardy to the party. It's an older Pioneer plazma with only ONE (and its used) freaking HDMI port. No VGA or computer monitor port.

The s-video out on the x800 is in a 2, 4, 3 pin configuration, top to bottom.

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated. :)

So run DVI->HDMI converter from video to HDMI input on screen. Its your only reasonable choice.

I see you edited that it was used, its still your only reasonable choice. Really.

So run DVI->HDMI converter from video to HDMI input on screen. Its your only reasonable choice.

I see you edited that it was used, its still your only reasonable choice. Really.

Argh!! Really? I'd have to get behind the TV and swap the cables whenever I want to switch.

Argh!! Really? I'd have to get behind the TV and swap the cables whenever I want to switch.

I believe your card will output 720p with the correct component cable (not to sure about it because I haven't messed around with the cable). That's why I said earlier that some of the svideo to component cables are vendor/card specific because some cards are able to output the signals differently with the adapter depending how the card was wired up. I have a sapphire x800xl and I still have the cable, it doesn't work on anything else I have tried pretty much only useful for that card.

I believe your card will output 720p with the correct component cable (not to sure about it because I haven't messed around with the cable). That's why I said earlier that some of the svideo to component cables are vendor/card specific because some cards are able to output the signals differently with the adapter depending how the card was wired up. I have a sapphire x800xl and I still have the cable, it doesn't work on anything else I have tried pretty much only useful for that card.

All I want is for the Pioneer to act as a monitor (with a decent rez) and I'll figure out how to route sound to my Bose system later.

Unfortunately this is probably going to be your only option. You can try to make it work some other way but I'd put money on you only being able to make this happen the way it needs to happen with DVI->HDMI. Is there such a thing as an HDMI duplicator or replicator or something? I've never looked into that but it sure would help you in this case.

He can use component, it'll work fine.

DVI -> HDMI can still work though, just crab an HDMI switch from Monoprice. Either that, or get a receiver with HDMI switching.

Do NOT use S-Video, you cannot output 720p or ANY HD resolution, the most it can output is 480i (NTSC). Even with a converter box, it still can't output any further than that. It's a total waste of time to be using S-Video with a screen like that. If anything, buy a HDMI switch box so you can change between cable signals without having to get behind the screen.

Not trying to ruin a sale for you munkle, but S-Video is ancient tech and will display horrible looking video on a plasma screen, or any screen that isn't an SDTV.

Do NOT use S-Video, you cannot output 720p or ANY HD resolution, the most it can output is 480i (NTSC). Even with a converter box, it still can't output any further than that. It's a total waste of time to be using S-Video with a screen like that. If anything, buy a HDMI switch box so you can change between cable signals without having to get behind the screen.

Not trying to ruin a sale for you munkle, but S-Video is ancient tech and will display horrible looking video on a plasma screen, or any screen that isn't an SDTV.

QFT. All of it.

btw, component can output 720p and 1080i, but it would look so much better with HDMI and not to mention, why mess with 1280x720 on a plasma screen? Kind of defeats the purpose.

btw, component can output 720p and 1080i, but it would look so much better with HDMI and not to mention, why mess with 1280x720 on a plasma screen? Kind of defeats the purpose.

I believe he has component input on the TV only, not output. He wants to SVIDEO->Component and thats just plain Yuck On A Stick.

THANK YOU!! This is why I love [H]. Falcon, you're awesome.

I've seen these switch boxes, reminds me of the old cable TV days, and I'll go ahead and grab one. I already have a dvi to hdmi plug so I'm in luck.

Thanks again yalls. ;)

THANK YOU!! This is why I love [H]. Falcon, you're awesome.

I've seen these switch boxes, reminds me of the old cable TV days, and I'll go ahead and grab one. I already have a dvi to hdmi plug so I'm in luck.

Thanks again yalls. ;)

Sweet, hope it works out for you. :cool:

I'm not saying it is outputting svideo, what I was saying was how the svideo port was wired on some cards allowed it to output component (720p) with the cable that was supplied with the card (also I have no clue if it is possible on the card he has, could be but not to sure). And I'm not selling anything either. I hope that makes sense because I'm not trying to say that the svideo can do 720p but on some cards they had the port wired a special way to be multipurpose but you had to use the adapter that came with the card.

Last edited:
Back