Need a bit of help re: multi-monitor

This is kind of a noobish question but here goes:

I don't game much these days and mainly use my computer for photo/video work and have always had dual monitors. My old GTX 660 needs replacing and I see that no new video cards use dual-DVI output connectors anymore. For a new card, I assume I would need to connect monitor 1 to the DVI connector, and monitor 2 to a DisplayPort connector, right? My question here is, will using different ports for each monitor affect the color calibration I have with software and/or the monitors? I don't know much about DisplayPort but it was my understanding that it's backward compatible with DVI, however I am not positive.

I'd really appreciate any help with that. Thanks everyone.

DisplayPort isn’t compatible with DVI, but HDMI mostly is. You might run into problems and if you’re using dual-link DVI.

DisplayPort would need an active converter dongle. This has a chip inside to do the conversion.
DisplayPort++ (dual mode) should only need a passive dongle (no chip), the conversion should be handled by the card. These are cheaper, but the card must support dual/multimode.

If in doubt, use active converters since they will work on both regular and dual mode DisplayPorts.

If you need dual-link DVI, make sure the dongle supports dual-link DVI out (may vary by manufacturer).

---
"DisplayPort has a function known as “Dual-Mode” or “DisplayPort++/DP++” which allows other signal types to be passed through the DisplayPort connector, including TMDS which is the signaling required by HDMI and DVI displays. According to above reason, there are two main types of DisplayPort converter in the market:

* Active Adapters: Active adapters use additional chips to make the conversion inside the adapter, regardless of whether the source supports DP++. This means that active adapters are more expensive than passive adapters.
* Passive Adapters: Passive adapters are less expensive since they do not need to include additional chips. A quick way to check whether you can use a passive adapter is to see if the DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort source has the DP++ symbol above it.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. Just one other question - my monitors both have DVI and DisplayPort ports on them. If the video card has one of each port (DVI, DisplayPort, HDMI), I assume I will connect one monitor to the DVI and one to the DisplayPort ports?
I really appreciate the help a great deal.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. Just one other question - my monitors both have DVI and DisplayPort ports on them. If the video card has one of each port (DVI, DisplayPort, HDMI), I assume I will connect one monitor to the DVI and one to the DisplayPort ports?

correct

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a new video card that has at least 2 DP connectors on it? Most do.

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a new video card that has at least 2 DP connectors on it? Most do.

^This

My initial understanding was that the OP had two DVI only monitors. It they are both capable of DP, just get a card that has two DP ports to eliminate any potential calibrations difference between protocols.

I really appreciate it everybody. I felt kind of silly asking such a basic question and you've all helped me resolve it!

Back