Need a 16:10 1900*1200 monitor recommendation

Jimbo

n00b
Hi everybody

As the title says I need a recommendation for a 16:10 lcd monitor with 1900*1200 resolution.
I will mostly be using it for playing RTS and RTS like games - like Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander and all the games in the Medieval Total War series. To a lesser extent I will also be using it for FPS games, so should be pretty responsive too.
I will not be watching movies or doing any graphic rendering on it.

Thanks in advance for any input :)

John

i think an idea of what you want to spend would be helpful...

if you're willing to put up the cash for IPS then hells yes:)

if you're a cheap bastard like me...give TN a look. they're not that bad anymore.

The HP ZR24W can be had for like only $370 these days. Granted a TN is like $200, but the price of IPS has come down a lot (except 30" LCD's).

wtf really???

wow i'm out of the loop. i remember buying my samsung 245BW back when for something like $420 and it was a good deal then...makes me want an ips...

While I would've much preferred a lower pixel pitch for HP's ZR24w, this monitor has started to grow on me. I've been very happy with its performance with games. I play mostly fps and don't notice any major ghosting. For RTS, I think Starcraft 2 looks beautiful on this monitor. I bought the ZR24w from Amazon for $399 - free shipping and no taxes. It came in perfect condition. No dead pixels or anything.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have just checked the HP ZR24w and it looks very interesting.
Any other recommendations? I am looking to buy it in about 2 weeks.

John

Do you have any recommendations for monitors larger than 24" that still has the same specs as i want? Preferably S-IPS.

HP ZR30W is 16:10 but of course higher resolution. ;)

Vega - thanks for the recommendation. I still only want 1900*1200 because that's the best resolution performance wise for the graphics cards I usually buy. I will be buying a GTX 460 card together with the monitor.

Vega - thanks for the recommendation. I still only want 1900*1200 because that's the best resolution performance wise for the graphics cards I usually buy. I will be buying a GTX 460 card together with the monitor.

That's actually the EXACT same thing I did recently. Ordered an EVGA GTX 460 OCd and the HP ZR24w at the same time, couldn't be happier with them.

I'd rather post these (2) questions in an extant thread than start one of my own to avoid cluttering the forum. I'll try it here and see if I can get any responses.

The questions will probably seem ridiculously dumb to most of you who know a ton about computers, but please bear with me.

Question 1 addresses display resolution; Question 2 addresses my attempt to resize windows automatically to fit their contents.

1.) I just bought an Asus VW266h from Newegg. No dead pixels, so I'm pleased about that. But I'm a little disappointed with the brightness (not bright enough for me, in spite of what some others have said about it being too bright) and the text quality. I thought that at 1900x1200 resolution was supposed to make for better text display, but mine is a little grainy. I read some threads here about ClearType (pro and con) and monkeyed with those settings, as well as with font size (I'm now using 115%).

I tried to adjust the display resolution and that's where I got really confused.
I have a Toshiba Portege r700 (i3) with integrated graphics hooked up to the monitor. When I go to the computer's Control Panel and then to the Display settings, I can't get the display to go higher than 1366x1768 (b/c that's the laptop's max resolution). Does that mean that I'm not getting full usage out of the monitor's 1900x1200 display? I know, this sounds really dumb but like Socrates I know that I know nothing. Just wondering if there's anything I can do to make the resolution a bit sharper.

2.) This isn't really a monitor question but a computer question. Is there a way to get the contents of web pages and Word documents automatically to resize when I make the window smaller? On my office computer if I resize a Word document so that I can view 2 documents side by side, they automatically fit all of the text into the window. But when I try doing that at home, with the Toshiba hooked up to the Asus monitor, the content isn't resized and I have to scroll way over to the side in order to view all of it (which defeats the purpose). It's not an issue with the Asus monitor; the Toshiba laptop is just so small that I never tried doing this resizing/ side-by-side thing until I got the external monitor.

Thanks in advance to anyone who'll respond in this thread. If this is too out-of-the way of a thread I'll post the questions in their own thread later on.

Actually, never mind. Something weird just happened and it's as if my monitor was detected for the first time. Now on the Control Panel, under Display, it shows the Asus monitor at 1900x1200. And all of a sudden I can view web pages (or Word docs) side by side. I have no idea how it happened. I had just connected a couple of bluetooth devices and then *BAM* the display changed. Now my Desktop background picture only takes up half the screen, too. And the text looks much sharper.

If anyone can suggest what I inadvertantly did to make the monitor get detected or connected correctly instead of simply displaying the resolution of the laptop, I'd be in your debt.

Actually, never mind. Something weird just happened and it's as if my monitor was detected for the first time. Now on the Control Panel, under Display, it shows the Asus monitor at 1900x1200. And all of a sudden I can view web pages (or Word docs) side by side. I have no idea how it happened. I had just connected a couple of bluetooth devices and then *BAM* the display changed. Now my Desktop background picture only takes up half the screen, too. And the text looks much sharper.

If anyone can suggest what I inadvertantly did to make the monitor get detected or connected correctly instead of simply displaying the resolution of the laptop, I'd be in your debt.

If you where not at the LCD's native resolution, then yes, it would look horrible like you said. Sometimes Windows is a little quirky and it might take a reboot or so to properly see the display. No matter what the laptop's native resolution is, you should be able to adjust the external display up to the video card's resolution limit.

As for your second question, I believe you might be running into an issue with extended desktops at different resolutions. An easy way to solve that would be to disable your laptop's screen and just run the external display.

I'm selling a Dell 2407WFP Rev. A04 if you are interested. Its a S-PVA monitor. Can't really compare it to the HP, because I don't know much about e-IPS. However I simply love this monitor. Only reason I wanted to sell it was because it was a bit too small for movies

Back