Need a 144hz gaming monitor for counterstrike!

Clemo

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I've been a long time competitive CS player, but never made the switch to a 144hz monitor which I heard amazing things about. Is there any recommendations? I would like the cheapest, best monitor around 24 inches give or take a couple inches. I like the BenQ XL Series XL2411Z 24-Inch but would like to not spend $280 unless I have to. I'm assuming the 144hz monitors are the best still?

Thanks!

Gsync rules everything right now smoother then 144hz....
I don't own a Gsync but have 144hz BenQ XL2411Z which has pretty bad colors unless you put in in photo mode and hope for the best..

Most 144Hz monitors start at around the $250 mark. Maybe you can find one on sale for less than that around $230 but expect to spend at least $200 for one. The XL2411Z and Asus VQ248QE are known to have very poor out of the box colors so maybe try an LG 144Hz?

Yeah I would definitely go with a 144hz GSYNC monitor. Set fps_max to 135 and get 0 tearing, 0 stuttering, and no added input lag. It is a much better experience than a plain 144hz monitor.

120hz plus lightboost or comparable strobing is way better than 144 hz. But typically all lightboost monitors also support 144hz.

The BenQ XL2411T sucks (it's bad even by TN panel standards from six years ago) compared to the LG 24GM77 colours and contrast wise, and the LG only costs 15.36$ more in the US from B & H Photo. The LG is better than all of the 24" 144hz monitors aside from the far more expensive AOC G2460PG with G-Sync. Best 144hz monitors. The VG248QE and cheap Acer are also terrible.

hey guys, thanks for the response. Damn! Didn't know the BENQ sucks so bad! It gets good reviews on amazon.

Gsync rules everything right now smoother than 144hz....
I don't own a Gsync but have 144hz BenQ XL2411Z which has pretty bad colors unless you put in in photo mode and hope for the best..

Mine must have been an anomaly, it measured about 800:1 contrast.

Also, the washed look is primarily from gamma; changing that made it look quite decent.

I purchased the LG 24GM77 as suggested. I'm guessing the 24GM77 B version is no different?

hey guys, thanks for the response. Damn! Didn't know the BENQ sucks so bad! It gets good reviews on amazon.

Those reviewers must be tripping on acid or have some serious visual impairment as I have tried that XL2411T and it indeed sucks seriously hard. Anyone that values any iota of image quality should avoid that sack of shit.

You had a look at the Viewsonic VG2401mh? Not had any first hand experience but it uses a 8 bit TN panel like the LG.

Those reviewers must be tripping on acid or have some serious visual impairment as I have tried that XL2411T and it indeed sucks seriously hard. Anyone that values any iota of image quality should avoid that sack of shit.

You had a look at the Viewsonic VG2401mh? Not had any first hand experience but it uses a 8 bit TN panel like the LG.

I think the LG is the cheapest panel and in the price point I'm looking for. That monitor seems to be $500+.

Not cheap or a 24" but I'll throw it out there. If you're an AMD guy, the BenQ XL2730Z. Reviewed as good as the Swift but runs $600 and has Free Sync. Newegg

Not by anyone that knows what they're talking about.

The Tech Report

The BenQ XL2730Z is based on a very high quality TN panel, and it generally outperforms the IPS-based monitor we used for comparison. That's no fluke; we've seen the same behavior from the Asus PG278Q, which we strongly suspect is built around the same TN panel. In fact, in virtually all of our empirical measurements of display quality, the PG278Q and the XL2730Z track together closely...........Yes, at the end of the day, the G-Sync-infused Asus ROG Swift PG278Q is slightly superior to the XL2730Z in certain corner cases. But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the XL2730Z, especially since it costs less than the Asus.

Last edited:
I purchased the LG 24GM77 as suggested. I'm guessing the 24GM77 B version is no different?

They're the same yes. Newegg currently has it for $250 after promo code btw (expires today I think).

Honestly, the ASUS ROG Swift is hard to beat if you want a fast monitor. The only reason I got rid of mine is due to the fact that they aren't worth a shit in portrait orientation. That's just a fact of them being TN panels.

They're the same yes. Newegg currently has it for $250 after promo code btw (expires today I think).

Wow, just my luck! A day after I bought it it goes on sale! whaaaaaaaat!!!!!! Thanks for the link though

The newer Acer XB270HU is a better option than the rog swift to be honest.

I have the Acer and my buddy has the Swift. The Acer has the IPS viewing angle advantage but may also suffer from IPS glow while the Swift does not. The Swift's stand and overall design look and feel better imo, but the Acer's matte coating isn't as bad. Colors are very close on both so really both options are pretty good.

So, if you're primarily concerned with gaming performance and the price a bit, is the LG 24GM77 perhaps the best deals among TN 144Hz panels?

I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to spend (in my opinion) a fortune on IPS 144Hz or settle for a reasonably priced 144Hz TN monitor.

The configureability and built-in strobing and the low price is definitely making the LG interesting to me as a motion smoothness fanatic.

I don't have that big a problem with TN panels if they're good quality. Mine is a TN and has excellent color and black levels. I'm very happy with it which makes it hard for me to move on to something else as much as I want to buy something new.

Read the reviews and make sure but if a TN panel has the price and performance you want, I wouldn't be put off from buying it. IPS and VA and the like do have better colors but TN can still be excellent as well. The viewing angles isn't a problem either at least not for me because I sit right in front of it and don't move around.

Why not go 240Hz? If you know how to build a driver board, you can mod a VG278HE to run at 240Hz-260Hz.

Its mad how the Swift came along and shifted the perception of TN panels up a notch or two. Its something you would genuinely consider. Even next to 144hz IPS variants.

I just got my LG 24gm77, really nice monitor. Great colors, deep dark black levels, good contrast, good brightness. Surprisingly the colors are fantastic and though the reproduction isn't as nice as my IPS, the colors are very vivid.

I'll take a look at the LG thanks.

Also, I owned a Sony FW900, it was amazing but I got rid of it because it was huge and didn't work correctly until it warmed up for 10 minutes after owning it for a couple years. I don't miss it or am good enough to notice the difference between a fast LCD and the Sony.

Back