Need +12V 26A and 500+W for under $50....

Brock

[H]ard|Gawd
what should i get?

My new GeForce 9600GT has a requirement of:
- Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp Amps.)

My current 400W no-name brand, and my brothers 430W Thermaltake with a +12V 18Amp wont run it.

So i'm pretty sure it's the power supply as the video card fan turns on everything runs it just doesnt output video, be it in BIOS, startup, or Windows. and doesnt show up in the Windows Device Manager.

So...

P.S. - Willing to spend up to 80 if necessary.

$50? No. $80? After rebate if you're willing to do that.

If you don't have the money for a decent PSU, you shouldn't be buying a new 9600GT.

Yeah after MIR.

I just didnt realize that the new 9600/8800's and such were so power hungry lol.

I'm too old school.

Well... I'm re-reading your OP and it actually doesn't seem to be a PSU problem.

Lack of power isn't necessarily going to prevent the PC from posting. All you changed is the graphics card, right? And you get no post (nada on screen) and no post codes (beeps)?

See... I would think if the PSU wasn't powerful enough, it would post and then lock, etc. or the PSU would shut down because a rail was being overloaded.

I'd still upgrade the PSU, but it could be a bad graphics card too.

The PC boots up fine either with or without the GFX Card.

It POST's and i can get into Windows.

The fan runs, but i cant see anything on screen when i try to use that input.

If i use the onboard video it works either way.

Here is my original post inquiring about what may be the problem:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1278441

You think? I thought if the card was dead it wouldnt do anything. Like the fan wouldnt spin up or anything...I think i'm going to order a new PSU anyway. So I need some help with that. I dunno what's good anymore.

You think? I thought if the card was dead it wouldnt do anything. Like the fan wouldnt spin up or anything...I think i'm going to order a new PSU anyway. So I need some help with that. I dunno what's good anymore.

Card or bad PCIe 16x slot on the motherboard. Have another PCIe 16x graphics card you can try?

Probably time for a new PSU regardless if you're running a 400 watt no-name, though, as you say.

The Corsair 550VX is right up you alley, and $85 + shipping ($15 MIR, so $70 + shipping final) at Directron.com right now. Might want to look around or wait a bit for a better price, though the lowest I've seen them is ~$65, so not bad at all.

I have the 7600GT and that works, so i know it's not a bad 16x slot.

Awesome. I'll order that tomorrow unless someone else has some other suggestion between now and then.

Sounds like your card is dead, not your PSU.

A totally dead card is still going to spin it's fan. It's still getting voltage, fan's going to spin. That doesn't mean your cards not dead.

I think your card is dead.

Alright, thanks mate.

I'll order that PSU and if still no dice i'll go calling to newegg for an RMA.

:)

Umm, just a couple things.

How do you KNOW it gets into windows?

I was just wondering:
Is your onboard video a vga connector?
And I am guessing your video crad (pci-e) is dvi ?

Have you changed your monitor to dvi mode?
If not, I am sure that is your problem.
Thats what it sounds like, anyway.

If it is already in dvi mode, then ignore this post.

If you dont have a dvi mode (that you can find), did you use a vga to dvi connector?

:D

I know because once it gets into Windows, pressing the power button no longer turns it off.
It is a DVI Connector.
Video card is DVI correct.
My monitor is indeed in DVI Mode.
I tried turning off the onboard video, doing it that way. Didn't work. Uhm what else...
Monitor is DVI to DVI.

The way this mobo works is that, it auto senses 16x gfx cards. I had a 7600GT before this, i plug it in, it switches onboard off and uses 7600GT. I unplug 7600GT and it switches back to onboard. So this kind of works the same way. I plug the GFX card into the mobo, put in the PCI-E power connector, and boot it up. The 9600GT doesnt display anything when DVI is plugged in. I then unplug DVI from 9600GT and put it into onboard video and that works. I tried turning off the auto-sensing thing and manually turning off onboard video. That didn't really help any,

Hmmm.
That is really wierd.
I suppose you have already done thedvi to vga adapter thing also.

I havent heard of a mobo that does that before.
Usually, you have to manually disable the ob vga.

Well, I learned something new today.
Sorry the suggestions didnt pan out though.

Hmmm.
That is really wierd.
I suppose you have already done thedvi to vga adapter thing also.

I havent heard of a mobo that does that before.
Usually, you have to manually disable the ob vga.

Well, I learned something new today.
Sorry the suggestions didnt pan out though.

Back