NEC Service Quality Sucks

undertaker2k8

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have had a NEC EA274WMi for the past 15 months and have been generally very happy with it until a week ago when a pencil eraser head size spot started appearing on the bottom right of the monitor by itself, it looks like a mura defect but appears to be coming from inside the screen. I thought that being NEC this would be taken care of with an advance exchange without too much fuss but sad to say that is not the case, their tech support has gone out of the way to deny the case ( they acknowledge the problem exists after sending 5 detailed pics to them but claim it is within specs until it becomes even larger and have even suggested that I somehow caused this: my monitors are handled with the utmost care and never cleaned with anything other than a soft microfiber with a tad of distilled water so any damage from my side is out of the question).
So now I have to live with an overpriced monitor with essentially no warranty support from a supposedly top tier company :mad: . Even Dell would have already sent out a couple of replacements by now.

So fellow display purists please be aware: NEC support is definitely going downhill and cannot be counted on at all.

If anyonr from NEC is reading this and still cares about customer service the case # is 80567117.

So I have had a NEC EA274WMi for the past 15 months and have been generally very happy with it until a week ago when a pencil eraser head size spot started appearing on the bottom right of the monitor by itself, it looks like a mura defect but appears to be coming from inside the screen. I thought that being NEC this would be taken care of with an advance exchange without too much fuss but sad to say that is not the case, their tech support has gone out of the way to deny the case ( they acknowledge the problem exists after sending 5 detailed pics to them but claim it is within specs until it becomes even larger and have even suggested that I somehow caused this: my monitors are handled with the utmost care and never cleaned with anything other than a soft microfiber with a tad of distilled water so any damage from my side is out of the question).
So now I have to live with an overpriced monitor with essentially no warranty support from a supposedly top tier company :mad: . Even Dell would have already sent out a couple of replacements by now.

So fellow display purists please be aware: NEC support is definitely going downhill and cannot be counted on at all.

If anyonr from NEC is reading this and still cares about customer service the case # is 80567117.

I have delt with NEC back in 2012 and can tell you ever since then they have gone down hill. I would not trust any japanese company wheather it be sony, panasonic or nec. Japan tech companies have taken huge losses "billions" the last few years probably due to korean based companies like samsung , LG etc.. I owned two 2690s wuxi atw polarizer. I am happy i got them sold to upgrade to a korean ah-ips display with squaretrade in early 2014, now i just bought a acer ips gsync , 144 hz monitor and will squaretrade it
the only thing in my house is japanese is my car, bluray player and a sony ps4, oh and my pioneer receiver . I will never buy a sony led, or computer monitor from them again.. As far as i am concerned panasonic and sony blew by not going into the OLED buisness togeather.

And nec probably now caters to mcdonalds and airports and more commercial than the regular consumer. Sell that shit asap

I have to say that NEC is still living in the past, I think they are the only ones that haven't even begun to imagine what is beyond 60hz, lol.

Also, all their stuff that is coming out today is ancient looking in design, they are like a museum of ancient looking electronics.

I have to say that NEC is still living in the past, I think they are the only ones that haven't even begun to imagine what is beyond 60hz, lol.
I don't know that they are "living in the past" so much as the markets they are targeting are not demanding anything above 60Hz.
I would of course like to see the graphics professionals (NEC, Eizo etc.) move towards 120/144Hz displays if that's possible without affecting image quality, as most gaming-focused displays seem to be quite poor quality. (panel bit-depth, lack of high quality internal LUTs/processing, no uniformity correction, poor quality control etc.)

Also, all their stuff that is coming out today is ancient looking in design, they are like a museum of ancient looking electronics.
I don't know that I agree. Squared-off designs with a matte-black finish has a professional look that some of us value.
I couldn't care less if my display is 2" thick instead of 0.2" if that allows for better backlight uniformity and heat dissipation for stability over time.

I know people like to come to forums to complain, and that there is likely a legitimate issue here. However, it would really be appreciated if you could also supply pictures of the issue you're having with your monitor, and perhaps some logs/screenshots of your exchange with tech support, so that we can at least have an idea of what's going on.

On a side note: Dell often has the best customer support in the display industry, but also the worst quality control. NEC is often praised for their quality control - though I've heard little regarding their customer support .

Call them back over and over, eventually they'll realize that it's cheaper to just approve your claim than to constantly argue with you. It's a shame you can't go in person, I find that it's hard to ignore someone who won't take no for an answer when they're a foot from your face.

I'd start off with "the spot is getting bigger", even if it's not.

P.S. I'm not sure I agree with the last poster about Dell having bad quality control, the last two Dell monitors I bought have been fine.

I've already wasted a lot of time calling them over and over before I came here: at some point it's just not worth my time to keep after this. Just deeply disappointed that a company like NEC would do this. Guess it is going to be Dell for me from here on out.

I've already wasted a lot of time calling them over and over before I came here: at some point it's just not worth my time to keep after this. Just deeply disappointed that a company like NEC would do this. Guess it is going to be Dell for me from here on out.

My 2690wuxi developed the same issue and i took pictures etc. the tech would not honor a replacement.
Stay away from NEC they are hurting as a company that makes displays , just like sony and panasonic. They lost the race to the koreans when it comes to display performance since 2013 when samsung released the F8500 plasma and won by popular vote best display of the year and tied with LG OLED in 2014. Its obvously not in their buget to please the average consumer with the satisfaction of sending out a refurb or replacement of the monitor until you are happy. I was a diehard NEC , Sony crt trinitron, panasonic fanboy until 2013 . I am not sure about eizo but anyway unless you are a graphics artist id stay clear away
http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/27/nec-loss-job-cuts/

Bad news from Japanese tech powerhouse NEC: the company yesterday announced [PDF] a net loss of $1.13 billion in the three months through December 2011, compared with a net loss of “just” $350 million in the same time frame last fiscal. NEC said it wrote down its deferred tax assets.

For the three-month period, revenue dropped from $9.3 billion to $8.7 billion year-on-year. For the full fiscal (which ends in March this year), NEC now expects a net loss of $1.3 billion. The company says restructuring costs alone will cause a $520 million net loss.

As a reaction to these numbers, NEC said it will cut a total of 10,000 jobs worldwide by the first half of 2013.

To be more concrete, 7,000 NEC employees in Japan will lose their jobs, while the rest will be laid off overseas. Among those 10,000 people, a total of 5,000 are outsourced or part-time workers (the other 5,000 workers are full-time NEC employees). Worldwide, the company employs around 116,000 people currently – full-time, part-time and outsourced workers combined.

Last edited:
Bumping the thread to see if anyone at NEC still visits these forums.

Man, I do a couple of days of training and this happens..

undertaker2k8, I've asked for photos of your case to review. We'll see how they look and I'll see if there's anything I can do.

UnrealCpu, when did this happen? Were you still under warranty? I'm very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience; we have greatly improved our customer service since switching call center companies in late 2013; they are now 100% US-based customer support available 7am-7pm CT.

FWIW that press release is from 2012 and about NEC overall, not NEC Display Solutions.

I'm always here if you need me!

ArtMarshall, glad to see you back here.

I've sent detailed pics to support even though the defect is hard to capture in a picture. One of things support said that irked me in particular was that the EA274Wmi is not a 'premium' monitor for NEC. I can see how that may be the case but NEC offerings are generally at a significant premium to other companies and this is your only 27" sRGB offering, I'd be first in line to buy a P272W (wide gamut PA272W does not work for me) if you had that available (like the 24" P242W).

Thanks in advance for looking into this.

ArtMarshall, glad to see you back here.

I've sent detailed pics to support even though the defect is hard to capture in a picture. One of things support said that irked me in particular was that the EA274Wmi is not a 'premium' monitor for NEC. I can see how that may be the case but NEC offerings are generally at a significant premium to other companies and this is your only 27" sRGB offering, I'd be first in line to buy a P272W (wide gamut PA272W does not work for me) if you had that available (like the 24" P242W).

Thanks in advance for looking into this.

Thanks undertaker2k8, I saw the pictures and it is definitely difficult to see; I would have a hard time getting a replacement based on those images alone. I didn't feel comfortable sharing your content here but if you'd like others to look, I'll leave it to you to post.

Have you been able to find any other way to capture the artifact? Does it appear more visible on certain types of content?

I understand what you're saying; NEC displays are a premium product compared to many other displays on the market and our customer support team is aware. Perhaps they were trying to make the distinction between PA and EA Series displays but your point is well taken.

Do you think you could get a slightly better photo? That would help.

Thanks!

@Art, sent you a PM: will try to take a better pic tonight with my camera.

Shall I send it to customer support email again?

Please let me know, thanks again.

@Art, sent you a PM: will try to take a better pic tonight with my camera.

Shall I send it to customer support email again?

Please let me know, thanks again.

OK, I'll check out the PM. Yes please send to customer support as well. Thanks!

Back