NEC LCD2470WNX

I tried it again with 35% contrast. While some of the color ghosting was reduced with greys, if i move around the hardforum page i get green ghosts where the red borders the grey (ghost moves from the red to the grey), and the white text develops an inverse ghost trail. The same happened after i dropped my brightness to 60% as well.

I use this monitor in bright light most of the time so I require high brightness/contrast settings.

I'm a bit confused as to the conflicting reports of ghosting since they said they never changed the lcd panel in these displays. Can some people just not notice it or are some displays not exhibiting this "Feature"?

Even with factory default settings I get ghosting on the hardforum page. The posting page I'm on right now moving up develops a light band at the top of the grey border, and a green band where the red borders the grey if i move it down. The text (yellow and white) also develops a purple/black trail.

My piece does have the same problem, but I wouldn't notice that if you didn't tell me.
I think/thought it's normal for even this class of panel...
But if its not, its another reason to RMA.

also something else I noticed...

its SLOWWWWWW.

i just installed vista on my girls pc which has a CRT and a TN panel.

I sat back down at my computer and the lag was awful. its about double the latency of my gateway 24" pva.

Well, read what I've written recently...I didn't try to RMA it yet, but you should try it...
Or you are sensitive to lag as well.

When first powered, the unit is pretty dull but after what seems like 5-15 minutes, it reaches peak brightness. Are any others experiencing this warm-up period?

Same here...

My piece does have the same problem, but I wouldn't notice that if you didn't tell me.
I think/thought it's normal for even this class of panel...
But if its not, its another reason to RMA.

Well, read what I've written recently...I didn't try to RMA it yet, but you should try it...
Or you are sensitive to lag as well.

Same here...

people are claiming no trails / lag / ghosting with this monitor, and others are definitely seeing it. so either some people got different panels, or something else is going on.

If my rma isnt any better I may have to get an IPS panel.

Please let me know when you get the new one, I hope its gonna be better.
I have no other display, so if I rma it,I will have to stay without computer for pretty long time...

And about other people: I think that they are just used to it so that they don't see that, or they are not so sensitive / demanding. For example sometimes I almost can't feel the lag (especially later in the night when I'm tired)...

I'll update when I get it, but nec will do advance cross shipping. They'll put a hold on a cc until they receive the other monitor.

I was planning to buy a Dell 24", but after a weird experience, and a lot of reading on these forums and elsewhere, I'm now leaning towards the NEC LCD2470WNX or the LCD2490WUXi.

I recently ordered a 2407WFP-HC from LUcomputers.com in Canada for $639.00 (because Dell.ca had it for $699.00). They shipped me a 2407WFPb Rev. A03 manufactured in Mexico. When I told them they sent me the wrong model number I was told they were the same monitor (?). I tried it out, but banding was painfully obvious and I just wasn't happy with the picture quality. I eventually returned it for a full refund.

Oddly, when I called Dell no one could give me a straight answer about the model number/revision either. After ages on hold, 3 hang-ups and speaking to 5 different people who all sounded confused I gave up. Ugh. I'm not impressed with Dell's service and don't really want to buy from them.

Incidentally, LU still has it listed incorrectly on their website - buyer beware:
http://www.lucomputers.com/aStore/default.asp?productid=3751

I'm willing to pay a little more for quality and peace of mind. NEC seems like a much better option with a great warranty. Someone had a question about NEC's stuck/dead pixel policy - I found this link to NEC's quality standards useful:
ISO-3406-2 LCD standards (NEC conforms to Class 2)
http://www.nec-monitors.de/specials/online_englisch/iso/index.html

Anyway, these posts have been really helpful, but I'm still kind of on the fence... Ideally I'd like a 24" monitor that I can use for the next 3-5 years for a print/design workstation, that's also decent for games (minimum lag / ghosting etc) and HD content.

With all that in mind:
Would I really see that much benefit from something with a wider gamut like the upcoming Dell 2408WFP? It seems like that will soon be the standard.
How would the 2490 compare with the 2470 for games?
Is there a noticeable difference between 800:1 contrast ratio and the 1000:1 on the 2470?

Thanks in advance for any input.

fedex sucks, service delay on my replacement. Should hopefully have an update tomorrow.

Mine was built in November 2007, and I am running Windows Vista. Contrast=50%. I just tried the FedEx page, as well as multiple other windows over this page and a neutral gray background in Photoshop. In Native and sRGB, there is no ghosting, trailing, or coronas, pink, green, or otherwise. The only shadows visible are the standard Vista theme shadows, and there is no flicker in any of the games I've played so far. However, I haven't tried any DV modes other than Standard. I will do so and get back to you.

Judging by those photos, you should return it. I know I would if mine looked like that.

what revision is your monitor out of curiosity?

I have had zero ghosting issues with this screen,and it certainly is not slow in any way for me.notnyt;s video is curious,and I dont doubt what he says he see's,but I dont on mine.

What ghosting I have encountered with my Nec,has been far less then is shown in his video.

Better then the Dell 2407 A04 I had,and a hair better then the BenQ 241W I tried for two weeks.

http://fedex.com/us/

go there, move window around

you should see some pink and green trails pretty bad in srgb mode. at least i do

I took a bunch of pictures illustrating the problem. here goes.. monitor is "factory reset" then put into sRGB mode.

GREEN/PINK ghosting..
1.jpg

some inverse ghosting and green ghosting
2.jpg

more pink and green ghosting

3.jpg

video of ghosting in action coming soon.

Tried that just now,and again,I am not seeing it,nor are the two people here haveing coffee with me this aft.I hope you can get this sorted out soon. :)

Tried that just now,and again,I am not seeing it,nor are the two people here haveing coffee with me this aft.I hope you can get this sorted out soon. :)

at least theres some possibility of hope left =]

what revision is the display you're using?

after some research the planar 26" is looking nicer and nicer

I just got the replacement lcd.

right out of the box I will say its very different.

I have the monitors side by side.

The new one is rev A1 as is the old one, but it was mfr'd 9/07

The monitor is much more WHITE out of the box and not shaded red like the bad one.

I will post more findings shortly once I've had time to examine it further.

EDIT:
well I've had a bit of time to put the monitor through its paces. Out of the box the gamma is a touch off but easily calibrated.
Display is still slower than the gateway FPD2485W and much slower than CRT. 2-3 frames is bothering me while playing shooters so I think I'm going to get the PX2611W

ghosting is reduced greatly over the last display, no funny color trails.

I took some pictures of the displays side by side, but they didn't come out so good.

So yeah, I want to get a faster display. If anyone wants to buy a known good 2470WNX and save a few bucks I'll sell it for $680 shipped.

Are you still seeing inverse ghosting on the new panel?

Are you now seeing the white-on-white overbrightness I saw?

ghosting is still there, but not quite as bad. The main thing I realized is that the display isn't tinted pink so I don't care about having to use sRGB mode. The colors on this thing are pretty amazing, but the latency is annoying when playing an fps. You don't feel nearly as connected when the screen doesn't turn with you as well. I'd say compared to the gateway fpd2485w the ghosting is reduced by half, but the latency is a frame or 2 slower. If i have a window spanning both displays and move it around you can easily see its slower on the NEC.

Hopefully the planar I ordered will do well.

I was planning to buy a Dell 24", but after a weird experience, and a lot of reading on these forums and elsewhere, I'm now leaning towards the NEC LCD2470WNX or the LCD2490WUXi...

With all that in mind:
Would I really see that much benefit from something with a wider gamut like the upcoming Dell 2408WFP? It seems like that will soon be the standard.
How would the 2490 compare with the 2470 for games?
Is there a noticeable difference between 800:1 contrast ratio and the 1000:1 on the 2470?

Thanks in advance for any input.

If you can afford the 2490, just get it because from what I've read its the best 24" available. As for gaming, 2490 has an 8ms response time and the 2470 is 6ms, but input lag is apparently the same on both (about 33ms). So neither is going to set your desk on fire, but I'm satisifed with the 2470's performance in every game I've played. On the other hand, some people are more sensitive to/bothered by the lag than others; notnyt and HeadHunter saw it immediately right out of the box.

Contrast ratio is higher on the 2470 because its a PVA, but that's their one advantage. Its not a huge difference, and apparently the 2490 is just plain better in every other way. Its only weakness is the lag, but that applies to all the 24"s.

If ToastyX is happy with it, its gotta be good. :D

I had the NEC 2470 side by side with the gateway fpd2485w

the gateway has better colors, brightness, and contrast.

just my $.02

I had the NEC 2470 side by side with the gateway fpd2485w

the gateway has better colors, brightness, and contrast.

just my $.02

OK...so then how does the Gateway compare to the Planar? :)

I think the gateway and the nec may use the same or similar panels.

I don't have many complaints with the gateway. The only 2 problems I saw were really bad inverse ghosting and flickering while playing games like everquest/wow since the response time was low. When you would move the landscape would get slightly brighter because of the ghosting, but if the framerate would drop below 60 you could see it glow brighter from the movement, then go dim from not moving since it wasnt at 60fps. It would result in an obnoxious flicker that would surely bring an epileptic to his knees. The NEC had both of these problems but only about 1/2 as bad. The electronics in it are much better. The backlight was also a touch better, but the gateway really isnt bad. If you were to change the color settings in the gateway you would get the same pink/green trails as the NEC.

The touch buttons on the gateway are a nice touch but annoying when adjusting. Luckily you dont have to adjust it much, but if you did, its awful to navigate. Great to turn on/off tho you just breeze your hand over the side.

Also, the gateway quite a bit faster than the NEC. I barely notice the input lag if there is any.

EDIT: just to be clear, the planar is my favorite of the displays tested so far. The nec and the gateway were a bit too bright for me. Coming from CTX and Viewsonic CRTs, I tried a samsung syncaster 932s 19" non widescreen TN panel. I wasn't very happy with it as it couldn't produce white very well. From that I picked up the gateway which was great, but the ghosting and flickering were driving me insane in games. I then tried the 2470wnx. The first one was broken, but the second one was almost identical to the gateway. Input lag was unacceptable and it was also very bright. Now I have the planar and I figure I'll be keeping it for a while. The larger size is great, the colors dont burn your eyes out, the pitch is easier to read, and its blazing fast.

If you can afford the 2490, just get it because from what I've read its the best 24" available. As for gaming, 2490 has an 8ms response time and the 2470 is 6ms, but input lag is apparently the same on both (about 33ms). So neither is going to set your desk on fire, but I'm satisifed with the 2470's performance in every game I've played. On the other hand, some people are more sensitive to/bothered by the lag than others; notnyt and HeadHunter saw it immediately right out of the box.

Contrast ratio is higher on the 2470 because its a PVA, but that's their one advantage. Its not a huge difference, and apparently the 2490 is just plain better in every other way. Its only weakness is the lag, but that applies to all the 24"s.

If ToastyX is happy with it, its gotta be good. :D

Thanks EW27 for the reply,

I've pretty much decided to go with the 2490, sounds like this is one of, if not 'the', best all around 24" monitors out there. Now I just have to find a store in Canada that actually has one in stock.:)

So, I got this monitor, and while there is no ghosting in the regular Native mode, once I change to sRGB I get some pretty bad inverse ghosting. Anyone else getting this same problem?

EDIT: nevermind, slight ghosting in all modes. Colors are great, but whoever said this monitor doesn't ghost must not have moved any windows around and looked too hard.

EDIT2: Greys give a nasty pink trail in srgb mode. In native mode there is just a slight amount of ghosting. Annoying enough while gaming to cause slight flickers if the frame rates drop below 60

the NEC kills it in color reproduction and black/dark grey reproductions

OK, still can't see any ghosting anywhere, not in Windows, not on the FedEx page, nowhere. Not in Standard or RGB.

However, I did see the flickering, but in one game only: FarCry. I played FarCry for 3 days straight and was stunned by how beautiful it looked; better even than on my 21" Trinitron. Contrast, colors, detail, just amazing. But after reading your posts, I played several games specifically to look for things you found; and in certain places, when there is an open patch of green ground on either side of me, I can detect a faint flickering out of the corner of my eye. Its only visible on open ground, not where there are trees, bushes, grass, etc. It only happened occasionally while moving fast, and I couldn't tell why (although frame rate dropping below 60 might explain it since that rarely happened).

I never saw it before and probably never would have if you hadn't mentioned it...so thanks alot buddy, I really appreciate it :p

OK, still can't see any ghosting anywhere, not in Windows, not on the FedEx page, nowhere. Not in Standard or RGB.

However, I did see the flickering, but in one game only: FarCry. I played FarCry for 3 days straight and was stunned by how beautiful it looked; better even than on my 21" Trinitron. Contrast, colors, detail, just amazing. But after reading your posts, I played several games specifically to look for things you found; and in certain places, when there is an open patch of green ground on either side of me, I can detect a faint flickering out of the corner of my eye. Its only visible on open ground, not where there are trees, bushes, grass, etc. It only happened occasionally while moving fast, and I couldn't tell why (although frame rate dropping below 60 might explain it since that rarely happened).

I never saw it before and probably never would have if you hadn't mentioned it...so thanks alot buddy, I really appreciate it :p

You may be seeing it less if you're running the brightness really low. Unfortunately I play a lot of MMOs and they have loads of wide open landscapes, the flickering drives me crazy. The ghosting on the NEC was pretty bad too. IE: skeleton walks across a green field and he has a black glow following him from the inverse ghosting.

If you're still looking at the planar, I'm loving it. The colors are great and its great for gaming. There is no gamma shift like the *VA panels when looking at it head on. The only thing that might annoy you is the black level is like .5cd/m2 (doesn't bother me and I'm picky as fuck). There is also a slight white glare or something when looking at it from a large vertical angle since it is an H-IPS panel. The NEC 2690 uses the same panel as this display, but it has a special coating to not do this. Unfortunately the electronics add like 3-6 frames of latency which was the problem that drove me crazy with the 2470 (aside from the flickering).

I just ordered a lacie blue eye pro and will post some detailed info on the fpd2485w and the px2611w. If I get it before the NEC sells I may take some readings from that as well.

If you're still looking at the planar...

The only thing that might annoy you is the black level is like .5cd/m2 (doesn't bother me and I'm picky as fuck). There is also a slight white glare or something when looking at it from a large vertical angle since it is an H-IPS panel. The NEC 2690 uses the same panel as this display, but it has a special coating to not do this...

I just ordered a lacie blue eye pro and will post some detailed info on the fpd2485w and the px2611w. If I get it before the NEC sells I may take some readings from that as well.

That would be great, and please include what settings you arrive at after calibration. I do like high contrast and good black levels, but as far as the glow goes, I'm assuming its still better than the viewing angles on a PVA, right?

Have you looked to see if you can make the side bars pure black when running non-native resolutions at 1:1?

Also, after looking at the LG Philips site, I think there's some confusion on the panel used. Its an S-IPS, and as far as I can tell, H-IPS describes only the NEC version with the A-TW polarizer and reduced glow. So kind of like the custom "AS-IPS" NEC used in the 20WMGX2 I guess...

That would be great, and please include what settings you arrive at after calibration. I do like high contrast and good black levels, but as far as the glow goes, I'm assuming its still better than the viewing angles on a PVA, right?

Have you looked to see if you can make the side bars pure black when running non-native resolutions at 1:1?

Also, after looking at the LG Philips site, I think there's some confusion on the panel used. Its an S-IPS, and as far as I can tell, H-IPS describes only the NEC version with the A-TW polarizer and reduced glow. So kind of like the custom "AS-IPS" NEC used in the 20WMGX2 I guess...

From what I read they were both H-IPS panels as indicated by the white shift, the polarizer NEC adds to their monitor is after the fact I think. The horizontal viewing angles on it are excellent howver.

I'll see about the black bars next time I reboot. NVIDIA drivers dont really like changing resolutions too much when you're running dualview and get a little flakey.

From what I read they were both H-IPS panels as indicated by the white shift, the polarizer NEC adds to their monitor is after the fact I think. The horizontal viewing angles on it are excellent howver.

S-IPS, H-IPS, whatever, I assume viewing angles are better than S-PVA in either case...

honestly the s-pva panel viewing angle is great, but they have gamma shift if you look at it head on or at a slight angle. the ips doesnt have this problem

Well, I got two weeks out of my refurb replacement. Now I have an issue where the unit goes blank returning from sleep mode and periodically during boot. The amber light changes to green, the screen flashes the desktop for a second and then goes blank. If I power cycle the monitor, the picture comes back.

Time for another MRA. Not fun.

Well, I got two weeks out of my refurb replacement. Now I have an issue where the unit goes blank returning from sleep mode and periodically during boot. The amber light changes to green, the screen flashes the desktop for a second and then goes blank. If I power cycle the monitor, the picture comes back.

Time for another MRA. Not fun.

OMG, my does the same, I thought problem is within vista / ati catalyst rather than NEC...

OMG, my does the same, I thought problem is within vista / ati catalyst rather than NEC...

Man, your 2470 seems to be the embodiment of every problem this model can possibly have. :p

Maybe you should have returned it...

I was going to work with it for the weekend thinking it may be the OS. I'll try my wife's laptop with it. If it does it, it's another MRA.

When I used it today, the unit wasn't acting up. Then about a few hours later it showed signs of the problem. I don't think it's a heat issue because yesterday it did it from a cold boot.

Well, I got two weeks out of my refurb replacement. Now I have an issue where the unit goes blank returning from sleep mode and periodically during boot. The amber light changes to green, the screen flashes the desktop for a second and then goes blank. If I power cycle the monitor, the picture comes back..

Well I spoke with NEC tech support and explained the issue. Their immediate response was that it's a backlighting issue, get an MRA - period. No other explaination was needed from me.

So then I spoke with the NEC MRA dept., and after a quick explaination of the problem, they were ready to send another refurb. Very nicely I stated that this was my 3rd refurb replacement and was there some point at which they provide the customer with a new unit?

What do you know? Their response was " I see you've done this before, let me see what I can do". The most pleasant woman came back with an answer and sure enough, I'm getting a NEW unit, shipped 2 day air. Also they are picking up the return shipping of the defective unit. WOW!

I am so happy I bought an NEC. Hey, things go wrong. I work for an OEM and products will fail. Their support has more than made up for the inconvience of shipping four units back and forth.

One thing to note is that every refurb I got had identically the same high quality picture. That's the good. The bad is that I don't think they refurbish to factory condition. But they will ship as many as it takes to get you a good unit.

In summary: NEC - Highly Recommended. NEC Support - 5 star

Unit arrived via 2-day FedEx. Looks great as all the others. This one appears to have the least backlight bleed with an all black background - absolutely none, very even (not the others were unacceptable by any means). You'd have to look closely for this.

It's yet to be determined if sleep mode works again although the replaced one wasn't acting up as much.

Maybe this is common, but I've now used five WNX's and three WVX's and all have had no dead or stuck pixels. I was lured in by the price point of the Soyo 24" before settling with the NEC. Great for the price but had stuck pixels on all three units I used.

Very satisfied.

Well I got the brand new replacement monitor and it still has an issue with blanking.

The monitor will either be black at boot up or flash the desktop after sleep mode and than go black. If I turn the monitor off and than on again, it works again. Also, it doesn't happen all of the time, but it still does at least a few times a day if left on long enough.

Anyone else have this issue?

I had exactly the same issue with mine. Serviceman said it was a problem with backlight electronics.

I got it replaced for a brand new one. Since then zero problems

You seem to have a very very bad luck with your NECs.. It's your 4-th "bad" 2470WNX..

Hi

A friend of mine just got info how to enter NEC 2470WNX service menu:

1. Press MENU/EXIT to enter the user menu.
2. Press LEFT to go to the monitor information screen.
3. Press SELECT and RESET/DV MODE at the same time.
4. You will get the warning screen. Press SELECT to enter the service menu. The power light will flash between blue and amber.

NOTICE THAT THERE IS A WARNING SCREEN THAT YOU MAY LOSE WARRANTY!!! ENTER ON YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Here's topic link:
http://mva.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?t...start=45&sid=ec031f3ad561ecb9f912f3c177945af4

If anybody interested here are photos what's inside:

service1.jpg

service2.jpg

service3.jpg

service4.jpg

service5.jpg

service6.jpg

service7.jpg

Some options are the same as entered through typical menu, but others ? Pitty that there's no Overdrive option.

Hey guys

I have just bought this monitor. And i seem to have some problems with color banding across gradients. Does anybody have that problem to?

Here is a picture

Shall i send it back or do you think a calibration can fix this problem?

Hello all, enjoyed reading through this thread. I'm now shopping for one of these screens and was wondering what you all thought about purchasing a factory refurbished one? It carries the same factory warranty as a new one, but I guess it's a bit of human nature to be wary of buying something 'used'. Thanks for your advice.

Also, I don't think there'd be any issues with using this monitor with a mac (new unibody macbook), am I correct?

Thanks in advance!

Back