NEC LCD20WGX2 review *** Update 17/02/06 ***

DVL73

n00b
OK people, this it IT. Review is now fully completed. I have to give my credit to TFTcentral, for the very nice cooperation and help while compiling this review live:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_20wgx2.htm

It's first, exclusive review of this monitor around.

Review on TFTcentral is shorter,properly constructed, indexed and very easy to follow. Also, on TFTcentral you may find plenty of other information about the LCD monitors so I can warmly recommend this website to you.

In the wsgf:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3208

I'm replacing my previous version of the review with the fully-blown and final draft version. When you have a time, patience and want to have fun reading it ... please do. It would be my pleasure.

Hi,

Tonight, I will focus on the viewing angles, high FPS gaming and dot pitch & 2D clarity. Hopefully, there will be another review update tonight

Thanks for the details! I'm considering buying this guy too. Looks like it might also be good for my Xbox 360.

Sorry if you mentioned this I didn't have time to read rigth now. Does this thing have that reflective glass like all the other NEC's?

Firewall said:
Very nice, is it HDCP?

Hi Firewall,

Nope, it's not HDCP. Man ... here in the UK even the HDTV it's not in the mass
production state. We are lagging behind the USA for a huge margin here.

Generally, I don't use so much the LCD monitor for the movies ... so this is probably
the reason why I'm not so bothered about the HDCP for now. My other home video
LCD TV is primary one for the home entertainment.

jddesigned said:
Sorry if you mentioned this I didn't have time to read rigth now. Does this thing have that reflective glass like all the other NEC's?

Yes, it's with the reflective glass.

This is actually my first glossy screen. Honestly, I was slightly worried before I ordered
about this before the purchase. However, after few days of using it no complains at all.
It's not distractive or reflective in a way that's annoying for me. Maybe it's just personal
preference.

One thing which I definitely like about the glossy panel is that contrast and colour
richness is much more pronounced and it's somehow "smoothing" the screen. It's
not so harsh to the eyes. I'm using the BenQ 17" LCD at my office and honestly this
screen is much more pleasant to the eye.

NEC have a non-widescreen out yet? My g/f hates widescreen because she says it looks "squished."

The 8ms S-IPS LG L2000C has been out for a while on newegg which is another of the new 'fast" S-IPS panels but no one cares about that. I am trying to decide on that or the 8ms PVA 214T. SIPS is faster then PVA but if she only plays WoW and Civilization I don't know if that matters.

Pete

She doesn't like widescreen?

:eek:

Maybe it's time to get a new one. I wonder if you can get a new one at Newegg.

:confused:

I still dont get why everyone flocks over widescreen displays.. I love my 2001fp.. Dont see whats so AMAZING about them.. I mean I dont watch movies all day so that doesnt matter, plus gaming gets a little wacked out of perportion because most games arent actually supportive of widescreen, they just are stretched the the resolution.

Just my opinion...

Nice monitor regardless.

I still dont get why everyone flocks over widescreen displays.. I love my 2001fp.. Dont see whats so AMAZING about them.. I mean I dont watch movies all day so that doesnt matter, plus gaming gets a little wacked out of perportion because most games arent actually supportive of widescreen, they just are stretched the the resolution.

Nearly every game that has been released in the last 6 months has widescreen support, and most games that have large audiances have had patches offering widescreen support. You will be hard pressed to find a good game released this year that wont have widescreen support. And by support I mean you will get to see 20% more of the game at one time than some schmuck with a 4:3 display.

***Edited***

I purchased this monitor tonight.

Just a few negatives i've noticed right off the bat...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The DVI cable that came with my monitor was jazzed, and caused my text and images to look smeared. I was ready to take it back but decided to check my other cable. glad I did. I'm not happy my cable is bad but I can live with it.

I have one stuck pixel in the middle of my screen that I'm working on getting rid of right now.

Because the screen is glossy it gets very dirty very easily. Those of you with glossy notebooks know what i'm talking about, and those who are picky about the screen being perfect will probably have to have a wipe cloth on hand.

The advanced DV mode is a bit weird. When playing games it causes the brightness and or contrast levels to be automatically adjusted based on the levels up on the screen. While this can be good in dark games, it is a bit disorienting in games where you transition through light and dark colors regularly.

*edit*
My pixel is still stuck, even after much rubbing and seizure-giving pixel changing.

I guess I was tired or something when I checked for backlight bleeds, because there are significant bleeds in all four corners, especially the bottom left one.

Good things
----------------------------------------------

The monitor is very bright and very clear. there is no ghosting, and the text is very crisp (with a good DVI cable =P)

Colors are beautiful and reproduction is very accurate

The glossy coating on the screen is very tolerable and really makes the picture look nice.

It has a ton of features and extras including picture-in-picture and a remote control (the US version anyhow)

Other thoughts
------------------------------------------------------
*edit*
Feelings are very mixed. This monitor is beautiful and makes everything it displays look wonderful, but I don't know if i can justify spending $800 on a 20" LCD if it's going to have dead pixels and backlight bleeds.

I got it from Fry's. Anyone know how good they are about returns/exchanges? I don't want to give up on this monitor because it is really a fantastic display other than a few isolated problems.

Not sure about Fry's return policy but will be interested to hear your experience if you decide to return or exchange it. I was going to try getting one from the local Fry's and these are the issues I was worried about. To me for $800 it should be perfect and if your not happy with it exchange it out.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Jim

motoman617 said:
Keep us posted and good luck.

OMG ... I completely forgot that I also posted the review of this monitor on HardForum :)

Anyhow, I just updated the main thread to include proper info.

So I didn't see any mention of what inputs this thing has. Did you take a pic of the inputs or list them somewhere?

edit: nm I found them, the US version has basically everything. :)

kaldaim said:
The advanced DV mode is a bit weird. When playing games it causes the brightness and or contrast levels to be automatically adjusted based on the levels up on the screen. While this can be good in dark games, it is a bit disorienting in games where you transition through light and dark colors regularly.
Hi,

It's not because of the Advanced DV mode, but because of the DFC (digital fine contrast)engine which was kicking in by selecting custom monitor profile (probably Gaming in your case). If the colour banding is annoying to you, just flick back to native monitor profile (and leave the Advanced DV mode ON) and colour banding is cured. Also, this is mostly noticeable in dark scenes, where there is intensive transition from light to dark and vice versa (like in F.E.A.R).

kaldaim said:
*edit*
My pixel is still stuck, even after much rubbing and seizure-giving pixel changing.
Regarding the dead pixel, I'm not sure if you are experiencing "dead" or "lazy" pixel. You can try (gentle) pixel massage and flicking it, as this can "sometimes" help if problematic pixel is the "lazy" one. Also, you may try the program called UDPixel (search google). It's freeware. This program allows you to run a 1x1 pixel refreshing and also set the responce time on each pixel. You have to put the either pixel or cursor over the lazy or stuck pixel and let the program run for a few hours. Of course, sucess is not guaranteed but it may help. It's worth a try.

kaldaim said:
This monitor is beautiful and makes everything it displays look wonderful, but I don't know if i can justify spending $800 on a 20" LCD if it's going to have dead pixels and backlight bleeds.

I got it from Fry's. Anyone know how good they are about returns/exchanges? I don't want to give up on this monitor because it is really a fantastic display other than a few isolated problems.
Wow this sounds like me. Over the weekend I bought this monitor at Frys in Cali/City of Industry(only Frys that has it in stock). The 1st monitor had backlight bleeding& dead pixels, but the picture was still so incredible I had to go all the way back & get a new one(like an hour drive for me). The 2nd monitor is pixel free, but if I look at a totally black screen you can kind of notice a tiny bit of backlight bleed. I would never notice the issue otherwise.

Well I took my NEC back to Fry's and they exchanged the unit without incident.

The replacement is just great. Backlight bleeds are VERY minor and I, again, only have one stuck pixel but this one is off to the side and I have a very hard time noticing it even when I look really really hard!

Other than the fact that it has an NTSC tuner instead of an ATSC one, this monitor is perfect. I just love it.

Second time's a charm, i guess!

I just picked up one of these tonight at the local Fry's on my way home from work. No dead pixels or backlight bleeding. Haven't had a lot of time tonight but got it setup and looking very nice. Found some widescreen wallpapers and they look very cool. I looked at the Viewsonic in the store but the NEC just really jumped out at me and I really liked the look of the screen. It was more money but I must say after I hooked it up and there were no dead pixels or backlight problems I never gave it another thought.

So far very pleased. :D

Jim

Back