NEC ea231wmi = turd of a monitor

ebolamonkey001

Weaksauce
The anti-glare coating on this monitor is THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN ON ANY PANEL EVER. If you touch the screen and slide your finger across it, it feels like you're touching a rhinoceros hide. An LCD screen is supposed to feel smooth, not like you're touching a piece of sandpaper. Reading text on this monitor is just painful. I own a Samsung 245bw TN panel and I consider the anti-glare coating on this as aggressive as you can get without making your head explode while looking at it. I was hoping this monitor would have less aggressive anti-glare coating but it was 10x worse.

The whites after calibration to 120cdm2 are also dingy and less pure than my Samsung TN panel that's 3 years old. I'm not sure if it's due to LG's quality control or the ridiculous anti-glare coating, probably both. What else is there to say? Oh there's pretty bad backlight bleed from all 4 corners that seems to be there on every panel. Screen uniformity is also pretty bad. The left 1-2 inches of screen are a little darker and there's not really a stable color temperature across the thing.

The panel also ships with what seems to be a non-linear gamma ramp that makes lower-mid greys like H forum too dark but makes darks lower than that too light. This is kind of a wtf issue for a company that's supposed to be as good with color as NEC. The blacks are another thing that will annoy you. The center can get relatively dark but when you combine the IPS white glow (from not having a polarizer) with the backlight bleed from each corner and bad AG coating, it almost feels like you're looking at a TN panel from 1990.

After calibration, this and my Samsung 245bw TN panel have virtually the same colors. The only difference is the Samsung looks like it has better saturation while the NEC has foggy greyish looking colors (possibly due to AG coating).

I have previously owned both the NEC 20wmgx2 and Dell 2209wa IPS monitors. I was expecting this to be a larger 20wmgx2, not even close. As for comparison between the ea231wmi and 2209wa, the 2209wa also got returned but I'll go over it anyway.

The AG coating on the 2209wa wasn't nearly as bad, it was probably less aggressive than my 245bw TN panel. I returned the 2209wa because it has severe gamma issues that I couldn't correct. For both these E-IPS panels you *need* a high end calibrator capable of constructing a good non-linear gamma ramp to correct the factory settings.

Here are pictures of the 2209wa with as good of a calibration as I could accomplish, I never achieved anywhere near as good image quality with the NEC:

http://farmhick.50megs.com/

Overall, I think E-IPS is bad in general and any IPS panel without a polarizer makes you feel like you're looking at a TN panel due to all the shifting so you might as well just buy a real TN and get it over with.

I now have a 27inch TN panel on the way in the mail. I also would not recommend any 16:9 screen smaller than 25-26 inches.

"Overall, I think E-IPS is bad in general and any IPS panel without a polarizer makes you feel like you're looking at a TN panel due to all the shifting so you might as well just buy a real TN and get it over with."

Could not disagree with this more. The viewing angles are so much better on this monitor than any tn, it's not even close.

Enjoy your tn, the viewing angles are a real treat at 27 inches, I hope your neck doesn't get too stiff, not being able to move it.

E-ips can fill a huge void in the market for those of us who can't stand crappy tns but don't want to spend 1K plus, we just need more of them

Could not disagree with this more. The viewing angles are so much better on this monitor than any tn, it's not even close.

Enjoy your tn, the viewing angles are a real treat at 27 inches.

The NEC is so small that viewing angles aren't an issue even if the NEC was a TN panel. What are you gonna do, sit on your couch 50 feet away and watch a 1080p movie on the postage stamp size NEC with it's superior viewing angles?

The whole viewing angle argument doesn't even matter on a monitor so small. Like I said, it also doesn't have a polarizer so you get almost the same effect of looking at a TN, especially with backlight bleed from every corner.

The NEC is so small that viewing angles aren't an issue even if the NEC was a TN panel. What are you gonna do, sit on your couch 50 feet away and watch a 1080p movie on the postage stamp size NEC with it's superior viewing angles?

The whole viewing angle argument doesn't even matter on a monitor so small. Like I said, it also doesn't have a polarizer so you get almost the same effect of looking at a TN, especially with backlight bleed from every corner.

Uhh the viewing angle monitor matters a lot on monitors smaller than the NEC. I used my friends 21" samsung TN panel and in modern warfare 2 i had to look straight at it or all of the enemies would just disappear into the shadows if i was leaning back even a bit. Was it playable still? Yes, but i shouldnt have to constantly be aware of my head in relation to the monitor while playing a game.

Also i was trying to edit a photo on his computer composed primarily of white tones and they turned to this piss yellow color if i was too high or low and basically made editing the photo impossible as i didnt even know what was the "true" color i was looking at.

I find viewing angles to be a problem even on my laptop's small screen. I wouldn't really call a 23 inch screen small.

I agree that viewing angles on those new IPS panels aren't ideal and could be better but there is no way you can compare that color shift to a TN. White glow is annoying but it surely beats the top of the screen being darker and the bottom washed out even if you don't move your head.

That is the reason I returned the Dell U2410 and the Dell 2209WA. I could not stand the coating they used on them. It made everything like like their was dirt behind the screen. All the whites looked really messed up imo. I had a monitor that was IPS with the aw-polarization on it and it looked 10 times better than the Dell's...

Ya, I'm sure your rant deserved it's own thread. Use the official thread, it's there for a reason.

I've got no idea why you're having issues with the anti-glare coating. Text is perfectly crisp on my monitor, especially compared to my friends 2209WA. The higher DPI of the NEC also helps in this respect.

Enjoy your TN panel.

ugh...I think I can sympathize with you about the AG...a while back I ordered 2 HP LP3065 only to realize a month later I could not get used to that AWFUL AG. Reading text on a white background felt impossible... Every 5 minutes I was literally rubbing my eyes and trying to focus on other shit in the room then come back to finish reading. It was pathetic. Now I'm doing my best to avoid AG completely with two 20wmgx2 flanking a 27" imac. Good luck finding the right monitor for you....

I've got no idea why you're having issues with the anti-glare coating. Text is perfectly crisp on my monitor, especially compared to my friends 2209WA. The higher DPI of the NEC also helps in this respect.

Ya, I'm sure your rant deserved it's own thread. Use the official thread, it's there for a reason.

This is hilarious. He's getting all angry and acting like I'm making a personal attack on him by saying these monitors are unusable due to the ridiculous AG coating on them. Must work for NEC or LG's panel manufacturing to try and claim the coating on these monitors isn't a problem. Sorry to ruin your PR.

Right next to your post claiming there's no problem is 2 other people saying there is a problem. I guess everyone except for you is suffering from mass delusions. The only reason there aren't more complaints about this stuff on the forum is because it's flooded with newbies to the LCD world and there's probably tons of marketing people posting anonymously.

That is the reason I returned the Dell U2410 and the Dell 2209WA. I could not stand the coating they used on them. It made everything like like their was dirt behind the screen. All the whites looked really messed up imo. I had a monitor that was IPS with the aw-polarization on it and it looked 10 times better than the Dell's...

I haven't seen the U2410 but the 2209's AG coating is nowhere near as bad as the NEC ea231wmi. The coating on the 2209wa didn't bother me at all. You HAVE to go find an ea231wmi to see just how bad the AG coating is if you thought the 2209wa was bad because the dell is nothing in comparison. It is the first monitor I've ever used out of like 100 different LCD's where reading on it is just not even doable. When I touched the 2209wa's screen it felt smooth. The ea231wmi feels like sandpaper.

LG is a disgrace. Their panel quality gets worse by the day and you would have to be blind to think using AG like this would be a good decision. They need a new development team or something. The company is probably operating on cruise control while the CEO golfs every day.

ugh...I think I can sympathize with you about the AG...a while back I ordered 2 HP LP3065 only to realize a month later I could not get used to that AWFUL AG. Reading text on a white background felt impossible... Every 5 minutes I was literally rubbing my eyes and trying to focus on other shit in the room then come back to finish reading. It was pathetic. Now I'm doing my best to avoid AG completely with two 20wmgx2 flanking a 27" imac. Good luck finding the right monitor for you....

I saw a 30inch mac IPS before and it had a crystal like AG on it similar to the 2209wa. They probably use the same type on the HP. Like I said before, this crystal-like AG coating doesn't bother me nearly as bad as the NEC's coating. It's a whole nother level of terrible.

what would you recommend as an alternative to the 231wmi ?

i'm looking for something in that same size (or 24") and for about the same money ($300ish or hopefully less). any models i can look at? i'm an lcd noob

This is hilarious. He's getting all angry and acting like I'm making a personal attack on him by saying these monitors are unusable due to the ridiculous AG coating on them. Must work for NEC or LG's panel manufacturing to try and claim the coating on these monitors isn't a problem. Sorry to ruin your PR.

Right next to your post claiming there's no problem is 2 other people saying there is a problem. I guess everyone except for you is suffering from mass delusions. The only reason there aren't more complaints about this stuff on the forum is because it's flooded with newbies to the LCD world and there's probably tons of marketing people posting anonymously.
:rolleyes:

Ya, this place is infested with marketing people. Get a grip.

You think I'm taking this as some sort of personal attack? I couldn't care less about your problems with the monitor, just with the fact that you think it's a "turd", but I'm glad you got the attention you wanted by making your own thread about this monitor rather than using the official thread.

Interesting stuff about the AG coating on the ea231wmi vs the 2209wa. I asked a few times about the AG coating in the ea231wmi thread and no one would comment about it vs the 2209wa, but I guess this answers my question.

The AG coating on the 2209wa is about as tough as I'll tolerate (although I would prefer it be less aggressive), anything more and I would have sent it back.

Interesting stuff about the AG coating on the ea231wmi vs the 2209wa. I asked a few times about the AG coating in the ea231wmi thread and no one would comment about it vs the 2209wa, but I guess this answers my question.

The AG coating on the 2209wa is about as tough as I'll tolerate (although I would prefer it be less aggressive), anything more and I would have sent it back.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I read one or two comments from people who had both monitors and they said it was less grainy then the 2209WA. Or maybe I'm mixing it up and they said it was less grainy than U2410.
Anyway, I'm not going to check the EA231Wmi thread for it since I have no personal interest in this monitor, but this was quite early on when the first reports were coming in.
When I think of it, it's probably the U2410 they're comparing to

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the possibility that there's something special with Ebolamonkey's monitor or most likely - the batch his monitor is coming from.
Something happend in the manufacturing process.

I think I'm going to return this monitor because of the AG coating.

I work allot with documents and would like a reading experience no worse than a MBP
what should you get for good text clarity and smooth AG or glossy? Preferably 23" or less but 1920x, and without the color banding of a MBP..

If you don't mind paying 500$+ for the C-PVA Eizo Foris FS2311H or EV2333 (better stand but come color streaking) or 270$ for the Samsung F2380MX (Canada+color streaking) or F2380M (Europe) they all use less noticeable AG coating then a typical Matte TN panel.

Other then the Apple displays the only good Glossy display I know of is the TN Acer G245H. Gateway also makes some 23" Glossy TN's.

Ok thanks, I'll probably get the EV2333w
All 21.5" non TN is pretty AG rough it seems?

ROFL.. this thread is hilarious.

I've been in love this this EA231WMi since I bought it.

Back