NEC 2490wuxi2 announced

What i want to know is why is Nec 2490 priced almost double in EU ? is there any
specific reason or ? really don't understand why ill pay 1500 euros for my 2490.

I see there are a lot of rumors about the new LCD2490WUXi2. Here are the official specs and changes:

1. Max brightness decreases slightly to 320 cd/m^2. This is better suited for most imaging work, and will give a slightly better contrast ratio when working at very low luminance levels.

2. Color gamut remains sRGB, but is slightly better aligned with the sRGB primaries. The sRGB coverage is 96.7% (vs 93.5% on the LCD2490WUXi) in CIE xy.

3. The panel is the latest "eH-IPS A" type. This panel does not have the A-TW polarizer used on the LCD2490WUXi. The reasons for no longer using the A-TW are the same as for the LCD2690WUXi2.

4. Contrast ratio increases to 1000:1. Note that the A-TW polarizer actually decreases the contrast ratio when looking directly at the display, so this high a contrast ratio would not be possible with the A-TW.

5. The screen is not "glossy".

6. A "-SV" bundled SpectraView II version will be available in the US. The software has already been updated to support this model. It will still be possible to make your own bundle by purchasing the software or calibration kit.

7. The warranty remains 4 year in the US.

8. All other features remain the same as the LCD2490WUXi.

The LCD2490WUXi2 will start to show up in stores over the next couple of months in the US. There are still plenty of LCD2490WUXi units available. I do not know about NEC Europe.

I hope that helps to answer everyone's questions.

Given this information (assuming it is definitive), what would people in the market for the 2490WUXi do today? buy the still available 2490WUXi or wait a little while for the 2490WUXi2? I am in this position and had pretty much decided on the 2490WUXi but now with the release of the "replacement", am a little unsure. I guess it may come down to price premium since the features are more or less the same (except for a higher contrast ratio rather than the A-TW polarizer and a slightly wider color gamut), I have heard this will retail in the US for around $1400 which is a good 300 or so more than the current version. If this is a correct price, I don't understand the premium at all??

Dude,be happy with 1400 $ did you read my post ? where i live 2490-BK-SV cost 1550 euros! (2100) $

Color gamut remains sRGB, but is slightly better aligned with the sRGB primaries. The sRGB coverage is 96.7% (vs 93.5% on the LCD2490WUXi) in CIE xy.

So true sRGB would be 100% coverage, 2490 was 93.5% and 2490v2 is 96.7%?

Given this information (assuming it is definitive), what would people in the market for the 2490WUXi do today? buy the still available 2490WUXi or wait a little while for the 2490WUXi2? I am in this position and had pretty much decided on the 2490WUXi but now with the release of the "replacement", am a little unsure. I guess it may come down to price premium since the features are more or less the same (except for a higher contrast ratio rather than the A-TW polarizer and a slightly wider color gamut), I have heard this will retail in the US for around $1400 which is a good 300 or so more than the current version. If this is a correct price, I don't understand the premium at all??

The street price of the LCD2490WUXi2 should be the same as the LCD2490WUXi in the US. You may be able to find some deals on the LCD2490WUXi simply because it is moving to "discontinued" status.

Thanks! So these are the "holy three" :) Get one when you still can :)

Will LCD technology without the A-TW polarizer ever get to the point where it is as good or surpasses the current A-TW monitors? Or should we all be hoarding the last remaining A-TW monitors?

Will LCD technology without the A-TW polarizer ever get to the point where it is as good or surpasses the current A-TW monitors? Or should we all be hoarding the last remaining A-TW monitors?

Hard to tell what are LCD manufacturers preparing. A-TW polarizer is a special thing to overcome a minor IPS imperfection and many people don't event notice it and/or don't mind the faint white tone of IPS screens when looking from an angle. So maybe the A-TW will return, maybe it won't but in the end LCD will be replaced by OLED.

What i want to know is why is Nec 2490 priced almost double in EU ? is there any
specific reason or ? really don't understand why ill pay 1500 euros for my 2490.

Dude,be happy with 1400 $ did you read my post ? where i live 2490-BK-SV cost 1550 euros! (2100) $

Because VAT is usually haigher in EU, because it is still not regarded as one market... but these info maybe used to be true, but some manufacturers are able to sell monitors for the some price in Europe as in the USA, sometimes even cheaper (HP). So the main reason is probably - because they can. The market in the USA is far more competitive, customers more demanding.

They aren't more demanding, just more spoiled. It's common this forum for people to buy a monitor and then go through a dozen RMAs before they get a perfect one. Someone has to pay for all that - and it's the rest of the world.

They aren't more demanding, just more spoiled. It's common this forum for people to buy a monitor and then go through a dozen RMAs before they get a perfect one. Someone has to pay for all that - and it's the rest of the world.

I think it is right to demand a perfect product. It's not US customers' fault that the competition is so high on the market, so they actually *can* do such things.
Don't worry, I think the situation will get better in the EU with trade barriers falling. All glory to the common market! :D

Someone has to pay for all that - and it's the rest of the world.

That's not how the market works. Imagine, that a company makes a higher profit in EU than in the USA (because of these evil RMAing customer). Than the company would lower prices in EU, so they sell more units here, because customers are not so "spolied" here. And that's how the market competition works. If you like a perfect monitor, Dell offers zero dead pixels policy, even in Europe. Also BenQ I suspect. As for NEC, you have to go for the Spectraview range to get this benefit.

Last edited:

That is ludicrous assumption. Even on this forum which isn't a normal slice of the monitor buying public, there was probably 1 person that went through a dozen returns. Certainly not common.

Second NEC is actually difficult to RMA unless you have a serious issue and it's the same in the rest of the world.

This is not what drives up prices elsewhere. Everything is cheaper in the USA, not just things that can be returned. Cars are also much cheaper, and people don't return droves of those.

It is just a highly competetive big market that everyone wants to sell into. That leads to low pricing. It is also a low tax jurisdiction that doesn't have hidden import taxes or VAT etc. Don't blame people in the USA for your high prices.

Remeber prices in the US do not include any local sales tax. Prices in the EU include all relavent taxes. This accounts for a good chunk of any price differences.

Thanks for your replays all.What i think is that even
with tax the price is still alot higher,and about HP the 2480zx cost 2150 euros here :D

The NEC spec says "up to 250fps" -- I wonder what it really means for the real world.

Probably as close to official confirmation as it gets http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034154740&postcount=39

So now I need to decide if I'm going to wait for the new one or pick up the old with the A-TW. If the 2490 was going to wide-gamut then I would pick up the old one. I'm not sure about the A-TW or no A-TW though.

A-TW is a very nice feature that kills the glow. I wouldn't pay a lot extra for it, but since the price is nearly the same. I don't see enough improvement on the new one, to miss out on the last of the A-TW panels. Other changes are very minor.

This is compared to my TN panel, but an IPS without A-TW will be similar to the panel on the right. A-TW really gets rid of off angle glow.
planettiltsmallmb0.jpg

Here it is a different angles to show that straight on it isn't a big deal, but on a 24" you will get glow in the corners likely on dark scenes.
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/2071/planettiltao7.jpg

Probably as close to official confirmation as it gets http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034154740&postcount=39

So now I need to decide if I'm going to wait for the new one or pick up the old with the A-TW. If the 2490 was going to wide-gamut then I would pick up the old one. I'm not sure about the A-TW or no A-TW though.

Thanks for the link.

As probably others will tell you, at least these having a monitor with the A-TW polarizer, you should take the old version with the polarizer. You can always sell it later :) I'm sure there will be people willing to pay some cash to get rid of the white glow ;)

The polarizer doesn't make any difference if you are working on a photograph. It ceratinly becomes an issue if you are away from the monitor using it to play video. The i2 does not suffer from tunnel vision at all. The viewing angle is great if you are in front of it.

I agree if its the same price you might as well get the polarizer though.

A-TW is a very nice feature that kills the glow. I wouldn't pay a lot extra for it, but since the price is nearly the same. I don't see enough improvement on the new one, to miss out on the last of the A-TW panels. Other changes are very minor.
I agree. I just placed an order at provantage for a 2490wuxi-bk-sv. There still are a few left in inventory.

I have not on the table NEC 2690 and beside Dell 2209WA. Alhough the Dell is a nice monitor, its lack of A-TW filter is pretty obvious and really makes 2690 shine.

I have not on the table NEC 2690 and beside Dell 2209WA. Alhough the Dell is a nice monitor, its lack of A-TW filter is pretty obvious and really makes 2690 shine.

In a dark room, with an eye in the center of the screen, could you measure for me the viewing distance at which the monitor sides level to your eye start to glow on black please?

I'm definitely interested to see if we can come up with the actual angle of glow in question.

This thread SO makes me wish I would have bought a refurb from techforless when they had them for $600 and change, now they are $800 (I do have a 10% off coupon though). Might as well just pony up the extra $300 for a new one though, it's shame the
A-TW is going to get kicked to the curb.

And it makes 2209WA glow. ^_^
Is that that obvious when viewd from the center or just from an angle?

It is obvious even when loking from the centre with darker background. However also the more intensive anti-reflex coating of the Dell plays role. I think I could get used to the white shimmering, especially considering that any *VA panel and its gamma shift makes me nuts (and TNs are out of question) and the monitor costs 1/3-1/4 of NEC 2490. As NEC 2490/2690 has much more subtle anti-reflex coating, maybe even without the polarizer the effect the off-angle white is more subtle.

In a dark room, with an eye in the center of the screen, could you measure for me the viewing distance at which the monitor sides level to your eye start to glow on black please?

I'm definitely interested to see if we can come up with the actual angle of glow in question.

No way, too lazy! ;)

The NEC spec says "up to 250fps" -- I wonder what it really means for the real world.

Absolutely nothing since the panel refreshes at 60Hz fixed.

Syncing to something isn't the same as displaying it

I'm sure some gamer somewhere will probably think it's better.

Well, i cancelled the order i had for a 2690WUXi-2 monitor.
I've ordered in the middle of MAY they are still waiting on availability for the week of 15 of JUNE ... they are "waiting" so, nothing really sharp and objective.

In Europe, NEC has a poor service i guess ...

Well, i cancelled the order i had for a 2690WUXi-2 monitor.
I've ordered in the middle of MAY they are still waiting on availability for the week of 15 of JUNE ... they are "waiting" so, nothing really sharp and objective.

In depends on country, but what can I compare with what people say about the US NEC, the NEC Europe really lags. HP or Dell are way better.

Well i guess so ... my only problem is... for a 1000Eur monitor i've waited for a entire month and nothing ...

It made me think about... if something bad happens... what time i have to wait for a replacement of for the repair.

I'm from Portugal but the info i got is that NEC Spain/Germany are still waiting on availability.

I love the screen... i'm feeling really bad about cancelling the order... but the wait is really pushing me away from the buy.

You are right, at least on Spain NEC is a PITA (see my previous posts on the "NEC 2490WUXi - The Full Story" thread). 3 monitors purchased (20WGX2, 2690WUXi, 2490WUXi), 3 monitors defective, one of them already sold (2690) due to several quality issues and several refunds. It's the last time I buy a NEC product.

Hmm. Hard to pick between the old model and the new model with higher contrast / slightly better color.

Hmm. Hard to pick between the old model and the new model with higher contrast / slightly better color.

What is there hard to pick? The old model has the A-TW filter! You are unlikely to get this feature. Maybe with HP LP2480zx, but I'm unsure it has the filter.

Back