NEC 2490WUXi - The Full Story

Shipping content for european SpectraView® 2490:

Monitor; Power Cable; Signal Cable DVI-A - VGA, DVI-D - DVI-D; CD-ROM; Sales Office List; User Manual; CD-ROM with SpectraView® Profiler Software and manual; Detachable black light protection hood including accessories; SpectraView® Certifier document

As you see, the colorimeter is not included.

The software is Profiler, not SV II.
With Profiler you probably can calibrate regular monitors as well.
With SV II you can calibrate NECs only (maybe LaCie too).
The difference in quality is not worth a penny.
This is not your concern.
When you buy a monitor your concern is how to get an ideal unit with uniform panel and no dead pixels.
As you get it, pair it with SV II and EyeOne Display 2 and be happy.

Wow thanks albovin your are really helpful person ;) what i dont understand now
is does that profiler software calibrate the monitor lut or the graphic card?
like you said the colorimeter is not included in the package if the software is
capable to make calibration of the (monitor lut not the video card) its maybe
worth but if does not then i really dont know for that they charge double
price :eek: it would be no logical cause someone said that basiccolor4 is
much better then spectraview2 so if its like that software only is better then
software and hardware for 250 $ more or you get sofware only for 700 euros
more realy confusing ? sorry for not understanding but as i said before noob here
im new with the monitors and stuff,thanks and again sorry for disturbing.

Almost forgot to ask, someone said that the software is aviable to download at Nec
site 15 days trail version does that version offer the same options like the software
that comes with the monitor or its difrent ?

The EU Spectraview Profiler software will hardware calibrate EU Spectraview monitors. It will not hardware calibrate non Spectraview monitors. The software trial available on the NEC site is the same as the software that comes with the Spectraview monitors.

Hehe glad to hear that,thanks for the info.Looks like there is no need to buy the sv version?
i can just use the trial version? what will i miss if i dont buy the sv model and use only
the trial version (guess i can use it more then one time if i donwnload from other ip) or im
wrong ? Cause for EU you dont get hardware calibrator (colorimeter) anyway if you buy the( spectraview
model) so they charge 700 euros for software only damn thats insane :confused:
Even if that monitors are handpicked hard to believe that its worth.

So, at this moment i have a doubt and today i almost bought the 2690WXUi-2 ...

in your opinion, what's the best option ... WXUi or the WXUi-2 ?

This monitor will be used for lots of graphic work... some gaming :)

Btw, is it necessary 2 dvi connections for this monitor?

Wuxi2 does not have polarizer the old version has it i would recomend to get the wuxi
cause of that no doubt better choice.

i'll be facing the monitor , there won't be any angle problem, so the polarizer will not be a great plus for this situation :)

albovin said:
Hi,
As far as I know this is not a common "feature" but some cases have been reported on 2690. Never on 2490.
According to one of the reports (more detailed), a 2690 european owner had the same issue and discribed it in the same way as you did (middle gray).
An authorized service center denied the issue several times - "it's normal". The client was persistant, so the center finally had to agree that it was a defect. The monitor was returned.

Pixel-related factors should not lead to half-screen pulsation. This is abnormal.
Some test patterns from here can artificially induce pulsation on gray. But in that case the whole screen is involved (not a part) - that's normal.

Good luck.
Thanks very much for your reply. I don't want to "fight" again with the man of the service center. I had to do many calls (about 8, no kidding) about the quality issues of my old 2690 and I don't want to repeat that "awful experience".

I'd like to know if anyone from Europe (apart of me) is suffering this issue... I can't believe I'm the only one (apart the case you told me before) which see these waves, only on gray backgrounds. With my old 2690 the situation was worse; I saw the waves both in gray and blue backgrounds... I think it's a power supply issue. May be the circuits used to convert from 110V (north american voltage) to 220V (european voltage) are a crap (unforgivable on a monitor of this range).

I tried enabling DDR Spread Spectrum hidden feature, according to an user, and it makes no difference.
Do you think that tuning the service menu I could to decrease the issue? If yes, how can I enable the service menu?

Thank you again

Thanks albovin for your support.

The case is I've had a 2690 with the same defect (not exactly, it was worse) than the 2490, and I'm so tired to talk the service center... This unit has no dead pixels nor dead subpixels, so I'll wait some time before using the warranty (3 years on Europe). It's a lottery to get a NEC monitor without dead pixels. Believe me, I've had 3 replacements for my old 2690 with dead pixels/subpixels (three as maximum) and a "purple blur" in one of them. I'm sorry but I have to say quality control at NEC sucks.

Kind regards and keep up your superb reviews ;)

If you are a picture quality enthusiast or planning to use the 2490 as a universal screen for the PC and external devices (PS3, BD player), it's highly recommended that you get SV kit.
But 700 euros is 300% of its regular price.
You could probably buy a regular 2490, Eye-One Display 2 and SpectraView II calibration sofware - all separately.
To do so, you need to make sure SV II works with "european" 2490.
I think this information will be posted as soon as the 2490 becomes available in Europe and more users try SV II software with it.

Edit. Of course, the 2490 can be calibated in a regular way (for PC use only) with a third party software.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this yet...buy a 2490 or 2690 and tried to run spectraview software to calibrate it...it would help to know if NEC europe truly did block this as a possible option...I mean it seems to me the distributors in europe, or whomever is responsible for the price gouging, are just asking for people to try and bypass the 'normal' buying route...what a shame...I don't think anyone minds paying for product but come on, doubling the price of display prices for calibration software and a puck?...

hey albovin...thanks for the great write up on the 2490...it's either this or the 2690 this week for me...kind regards...

M

Last edited:
My 2490 SV has 1 slight wave on the right side, fwiw.

Is it possible to buy spectraview kit in EU? if its not any suggestion how to get it?
thanks to all helpful guys on this forum ;)

EDIT: Any one knows where can i buy/order Nec2490-SV in Eu?
it seems that the price was double only in Germany,for the sv version
so please inform me if any one knows

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Is it possible to buy spectraview kit in EU? if its not any suggestion how to get it?
thanks to all helpful guys on this forum ;)

You will need somwone in the US to buy it for you and send it to you.

hehe Mlewis as always, you deserve medal for all this information many thanks ;)
also maybe you can answer me about the edit part thanks alot!

you can download sv ll off the usa NEC site : then all you need is for your friend in the usa to email the serial number...

Are you an european user? I have the same issue, but located on the left side (on my 2490 and on my old 2690 too), I only see the waves on middle gray backgrounds... Can you explain in more detail your problem? Thanks

PS: I have written a PM to Will Hollingworth (Monitor Guy on this forum), product manager of NEC Display of America. I hope he explain this issue that we are suffering some european users.

Last edited:
Maury,

Hmm nice one, but is it possible to use that software on long term as far as i know
its trail version (15 days) don't know can you use it again by deleting/reinstall option?
if its like that then i can have Nec 2490-SV very fast ;) thanks for the suggestion.

Just use google, people. Or spend money to buy the full version of the calibration software, afaik basICColor display will also perform the full hardware calibration.

Just use google, people. Or spend money to buy the full version of the calibration software, afaik basICColor display will also perform the full hardware calibration.

Yes i guess i will get the sv version if its available the price difrence was not double as i tought i found 2690-SV for only 300$ more then the regular model guess that means
the 2490 price will be decent.

offtopic:

Any one knows why subscribed threads options (Quick links) ain't work?
also the messages i sent are not in the "outbox" it show 0

is this monitor for gaming also?

Yes it is its the best monitor overall only slight input lag but in every aspect the monitor
is perfect! but if you ask me ill forget about that "lag" and buy it instant!

"Serious machine for serious men"

:LOL:

My G2400WD is better for gaming ;)
Are you kidding? The BenQ G2400WD is a TN panel, and the 2490WUXi is an H-IPS panel with 6ms grey-to-grey response. A TN panel is always worse than a IPS panel in every aspect. And I'm sure that the 2490WUXi with its 8ms of response is FASTER than a 2ms TN panel. In addition, the 2490WUXi has the better scaler in the market, with options not found in other monitors. You can see games in full splendor and without black bars on ANY resolution (with its superb interpolation algorithm, NO loss on sharpness details). These are FACTS. However, the 2490WUXi is not affordable and is suitable for professionals. It's quite adequate for gaming, but it isn't its primary use.

Last edited:
Are you kidding? The BenQ G2400WD is a TN panel, and the 2490WUXi is an H-IPS panel with 6ms grey-to-grey response. A TN panel is always worse than a IPS panel in every aspect. And I'm sure that the 2490WUXi with its 8ms of response is FASTER than a 2ms TN panel. In addition, the 2490WUXi has the better scaler in the market, with options not found in other monitors. You can see games in full splendor and without black bars on ANY resolution (with its superb interpolation algorithm, NO loss on sharpness details). These are FACTS. However, the 2490WUXi is not affordable and is suitable for professionals. It's quite adequate for gaming, but it isn't its primary use.

The G/V2400W/WD/WT all have good scalers, and they are faster than the 2490 even without overdrive. They're also less laggy. So as a single-purpose monitor using only human performance as the deciding criteria, the G2400W family are better gaming monitors. However, that's only if you're using PC FPS to decide, otherwise the BenQ has no advantages except price.

Jeez. Does any of this matter, other than to those who are personally adding to global warming?

A TN panel is always worse than a IPS panel in every aspect.

Very wrong. There are several advantages TNs have over other tech types, one of the majors being price.
I could go on but you are obviously not interested in any facts.

Each tech type has its strengths and weaknesses. If one type was the hands down best there would be no need for others, no one would buy them. Interestingly TNs are by far the most prevalent LCD type. Those markets, always favoring totally useless subpar tech, doh!

Very wrong. There are several advantages TNs have over other tech types, one of the majors being price.
Apart of the "advantage" of reduced price and may be better black level (surpassed by PVA technology)... which those advantages are? OK, the price is an important factor, specially on crysis times, but even that disadvantage is vanishing... Now, we have the HP LP2475w with H-IPS panel at an affordable price and the new DELL 2209WA with e-IPS panel with the price of a medium TN panel. And soon we'll have the new LG IPS panels for the mainstream (not only for professionals) at a reasonable price.

I could go on but you are obviously not interested in any facts.
Come on, I would like to hear them (I've already said 2 disadvantages over TN technology, so please don't comment them again). And the input lag is not inherent to the IPS nature, but the image processing performed by the monitor. In fact, there are IPS monitors with 0ms of input lag (LG W2600HP). The NEC 2490WUXi has average input lag due to the complex image processing which performs.

Each tech type has its strengths and weaknesses. If one type was the hands down best there would be no need for others, no one would buy them. Interestingly TNs are by far the most prevalent LCD type. Those markets, always favoring totally useless subpar tech, doh!
Of course! TN technology is the most prevalent for its price and its low cost of manufacturing. But IPS technology is the more "balanced" technology, i.e., it's the technology with less faults. Believe or not, TN is the worst technology among the 3 known panels: IPS, PVA, TN. Probably albovin could illustrate you with these facts (not myths).

Your statement was too definitive - a TN panel is always worse than an IPS in every aspect. Malakai pointed out one area where TN is not always worse, price. Another is input lag. You can discount the importance of those two all you like, but you can't really expect anyone to listen to you say that those things don't ever matter for anyone.

Sure TN is the inferior technology, but that hasn't stopped it from being the dominant panel type (by sales volume). To ignore that fact is pretty disingenuous.

Your statement was too definitive - a TN panel is always worse than an IPS in every aspect. Malakai pointed out one area where TN is not always worse, price. Another is input lag. You can discount the importance of those two all you like, but you can't really expect anyone to listen to you say that those things don't ever matter for anyone.

Sure TN is the inferior technology, but that hasn't stopped it from being the dominant panel type (by sales volume). To ignore that fact is pretty disingenuous.

TNs don't actually have any advantage in input lag. That's simply a matter of what price points the lagless monitors come in at. There are laggy TN at all price points, but the two lagless models are much cheaper than the lagless IPS (possibly excepting the Doublesight 265W.) And of course the least laggy *VA is the 24WMGX3, but neither that NEC nor the 265W could be considered well-rounded models.

Other than that, yes TNs do have price, and sort of response time. The most striking thing is that you can't have it all with non-TNs: you can't get a fast, responsive IPS/VA with deep blacks, and you definitely can't have all that for a low price. You've got to give up something, and the easiest one to drop is input lag.

2490wuxi2 -- my bet, they'll ride on the 2490wuxi's great reputation while making it cheaper to produce, somehow...

the weird part is that the price different between the 24 and the 26 isn't that big ...

Are you an european user? I have the same issue, but located on the left side (on my 2490 and on my old 2690 too), I only see the waves on middle gray backgrounds... Can you explain in more detail your problem? Thanks

PS: I have written a PM to Will Hollingworth (Monitor Guy on this forum), product manager of NEC Display of America. I hope he explain this issue that we are suffering some european users.

Hmmmm... i'm interested in that problem too ...

I'm to buy the LCD2690WUXi-2 ... that "wavy effect" is only in gradients?

Well, BenQ G2400WD surely has a lowe input lag than NEC 2490. And some people are versy sensitive to higher input lag, so the only choice for them is a fast TN monitor. I don't mind the lag myself :)

Back