NEC 2490WUXi - The Full Story

Discussion in 'Displays' started by albovin, Feb 23, 2009.

1. albovin

albovin [H]ard|Gawd

Deleted by poster

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  2. fss69

fss69 Gawd

Is this a real problem now? How widespread are the 2490's without the A-TW polarizers?

3. mlewis

mlewis Limp Gawd

The announced and yet to be released 2490wuxi2 does not have the polariser. All 2490wuxi have it.

4. omk

omk n00bie

Thanks
    To anyone interested about this LCD
    Do not think, just go get it, I have HP LP2475 (IPS 24) and compared each one in clone mode,
    WOW the saturation on my 2690wuxi2 is much nicer and the skin tones are more natural , generally I thought I will never find an LCD better (in Color Quality) than my HP, after watching (THE Matrix 1080p) and up converted DVD (TRAITOR), I am really impressed,
    Not missing The polarizer
    Thanks NEC :D
    Sorry, Lost my Casio camera to post some pics (no way will post Phone pics)
    will post as soon I get my hands on a descent camera.
    I am not associated to NEC , only wanted to post my own experience with this LCD, (Assembled in EU 4/2009)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  5. _HU_

_HU_ [H]Lite

That issue bothers me, I don't know if this issue may be annoying for you. Waves are visible only on gray and (few) blue backgrounds and when brightness is near 0%. I'm waiting for the repaired unit this week. When my unit arrives, I will post results (I hope they will be good).

To all european users, please test the following:
    Put a middle gray background (RGB code 128,128,128) in full screen.
    Wait 15-20 mins. until the panel is warmed up.
    Set contrast to 50% and drop the brightness to 0%
    Watch carefully the display area in order to search for waves running across the screen

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  6. delerious

delerious [H]Lite

I have seen waves on my 2490 when looking at the clock/phase image on the lagom test page, and also when I click on Log Off or Shutdown on my Windows 2000 machine. In Windows 2000 it will turn the screen kind of gray when you do that. I think it just means the clock/phase settings aren't correct. In the NEC menu, it is called "Fine". I adjusted that and I don't see waves anymore.

7. psyside

psyside 2[H]4U

Ok HU thanks for the suggestion,will do ;)

EDIT: Guess delerious figure out or its not that?

8. _HU_

_HU_ [H]Lite

I suppose you have connected it via a D-Sub cable, because that setting does not appear in my unit when connected via a DVI-D cable.

Anyway, that issue is a fault confirmed by the service center, and the unit is still being repaired there. If you experiment this issue through a DVI-D cable, you have a unit with faults and it should be repaired in the service center.

9. delerious

delerious [H]Lite

Oh OK, yeah I do use a D-Sub connection.

10. psyside

psyside 2[H]4U

Ok the monitor is ordered, wish me luck should be here in 2 weeks or so 2490-SV it is :cool:

11. stevecamp09

stevecamp09 Limp Gawd

Good luck psyside, hope you get a perfect example. I have owned mine 2 weeks now and absolutely love it, it is such a great monitor, does everything brilliantly so far. Let us know how the calibration experience goes, I bought mine without the SV kit and am contemplating buying it separately in the future.

12. psyside

psyside 2[H]4U

Thanks,no problem will report what difference does it make calibrated and normal ;)

cant wait!

13. edk99

edk99 n00bie

I just got the 2490 SV (Wow great monitor) I remember reading in a thread that you can download calibration software so you can use the calibrator that came with the 2490 on different monitors. I have a Dell 2007 as my 2nd monitor that I would like to calibrate. Anyone know which one this is? Where to get it?

14. mlewis

mlewis Limp Gawd

X-Rite's website. Just find the details of the i1 Display 2 and download the software for that. The calibrator is a rebadged i1 Display 2.

15. albovin

albovin [H]ard|Gawd

Deleted by poster

16. psyside

psyside 2[H]4U

Ok the monitor should be here in a week or so and i want to know whats the
    basic things i have to do before calibrating the monitor? also can i adjust
    settings after the calibration? (contrast,brightness,gamma) or they must
    stay same like the calibration process.

Should i reduce/increase some settings before the start of the calibration?

(brightness contrast gamma)

thanks in advance.

17. _HU_

_HU_ [H]Lite

Well, the monitor is already in my house. It was "adjusted" in the service center to get rid of that annoying waves seen on gray backgrounds. I can notice an improvement, but I'm not totally satisfied, waves are still there (but they are more subtle though).

I'm not going to send the monitor again to France for "re-repair" it. I will stick with it until OLED/PLED/SED technology arrives. But, It's sad to say the NEC brand is already discarded from my future purchases.

18. Surly73

Surly73 [H]ard|Gawd

Are these "waves" anything like what's depicted here?

If so, that's still analog signal locking issues that shouldn't be present with digital. You are absolutely certain that a digital path is being used, not the analog pins on a DVI-I? It happens with all inputs and all computer sources?

19. _HU_

_HU_ [H]Lite

@Surly73:

No, I don't notice any wave on that background, because my unit is connected via DVI-D. I see the waves (with DVI-D too) on plain gray backgrounds and ONLY on the left side (on the right side is OK) and without any pattern. Thanks anyway for your interest.

PS: This effect is not generated by my "vision" nor my graphics card nor my cables. I have a 20WGX2 too and I don't notice any waves at all (tested with the same hardware).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  20. psyside

psyside 2[H]4U

Please someone answer me about the calibration thanks! still noob about displays here ;)

21. Snowdog

Snowdog Pasty Nerd with Poor Cardio

If you have an SV package it controls everything in the monitor so you don't need to change anything on the panel itself.

The only setting I change after calibration is brightness/backlight control. This really doesn't impact your calibration curve. Just use it to match brightness to your changing room light. But I seldom do this unless it gets really bright.

Other controls like contrast and sharpness should be left alone IMO, the defaults are correct.

22. Forceman

Forceman [H]ardForum Junkie

If you are using a colorimeter, follw the instructions that come with that. If not, go to TFTCentral and you can get a profile from there and use the settings for brightness/contrast that they used and probably get pretty close.

23. psyside

psyside 2[H]4U

24. angelicvoices

angelicvoices Limp Gawd

That's not even possible. Good CRTs have NO viewing angle issues or color shifts. You can't get better than zero.. I guess if you got a really old and crappy CRT it's possible.

25. Snowdog

Snowdog Pasty Nerd with Poor Cardio

I agree he is getting a bit carried away. But it is the only LCD I have seen that is so close to CRT that it doesn't matter.

26. albovin

albovin [H]ard|Gawd

Deleted by poster

27. 10e

10e 2[H]4U

I have to agree. The WUXI series with A-TW polarizer are the best consumer level LCDs in terms of viewing angle (ever) but still not at CRT status.

28. Surly73

Surly73 [H]ard|Gawd

This isn't quite all of the equation. In order to be absolutely 100% sure in your troubleshooting, you've seen the same effect with different hardware on the same display (different display on same hardware doesn't count)? Different DVI inputs on the display and outputs on the card? In particular, the DVI-D only input on the display (not the DVI-I)? (I realize you're saying DVI-D every time and that you know what it is, but you'd want to be absolutely certain that some strange problem wasn't causing your rig to use the analog signaling present on a DVI-I instead of the digital, right?)

29. psyside

psyside 2[H]4U

Hmm,intresting you may think about what Surly73 said there is logic behind it.

30. ~ Andrea ~

~ Andrea ~ n00bie

Hi,
    first of all thank you guys because I've found a lot of interesting informations on this thread ;)

Now please can somebody point me to an European shop that have the 2490WUXi in stock?
    This monitor seems to be hard to find here in Europe, I'm finding only the V2!!

Anyway the 2490WUXi2 how terrible is comapred to the first version?
    I've not found any consistent comparison between both versions.

Thankss!!

31. fss69

fss69 Gawd

That's interesting. The v2's only started rolling out at the beginning of this month. I'd be shocked that so many retailers would've moved the old stock v1's so fast given how expensive they are - even with big mark downs. From what I can tell, all the US retailers still only have the v1's. They list the v2's but they aren't available.

The revision is supposed to have better contrast and color coverage (spec wise anyway...), but of course, the A-TW polarizer's gone. Also according to the NEC Spectraview II FAQ, it might be a different panel altogether (H-IPS --> eH-IPS).

http://www.necdisplay.com/supportcenter/monitors/spectraview2/faq/#Display_Monitor_Questions

32. albovin

albovin [H]ard|Gawd

Deleted by poster

33. Sunfox

Sunfox n00bie

However, that's what the specs say: contrast goes from 800:1 to 1000:1, and sRGB coverage from 93.5% to 96.7%.

Of course you drop the polarizer, and lose some brightness...

34. Biges

Biges [H]ard|Gawd

Well, man, firstly you don't have to post the same "question" into two threads.
    Secondly I think it is pretty clear which model is considered better ;)

35. Sunfox

Sunfox n00bie

Actually I didn't post the question in two threads; I posted it solely in the 2490WUXI2 thread but albovin quoted and responded to it in this thread... so my response to him was naturally posted here.

The A-TW filter is reportedly nice for off-angle viewing, but what if you don't really need off-angle viewing? I sit at a corner desk, so the opportunity to even see the monitor at extreme angles is slim. If there any benefit with the filter for "straight on" viewing?

36. albovin

albovin [H]ard|Gawd

Deleted by poster

37. Sunfox

Sunfox n00bie

LOL, I love your diagnosis of TN! :)

I have an older S-IPS monitor right now (Philips 230WP7NS). Frankly if I turn the lights off in the room and display a solid black screen, the "glow" is pretty much everywhere at every angle. It's not quite as bad looking straight on, but otherwise the whole screen generally looks like it's reflecting some other bright object in the room. So perhaps I'm just so used to the whole glow thing that it's hard to visualize it being any different.

Unfortunantly the range of LCDs I've owned is slim. The Philips is the first one I've used for any length since my CRT gave up. I've bought others for family members - a Samsung 970p 19" (that white plastic one on the fold-flat arm that becomes unable to hold itself after a couple of years - right now it's got a block of wood wedged in between to keep it in a somewhat vertical fashion), and an older Sony 19" X93 (actually quite a nice design)... plus an ancient Viewsonic that really looks quite horrible.

Considering that I do a lot of video and photo editing, it's about time I settled on a good LCD (or two)...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  38. _HU_

_HU_ [H]Lite

YES, I have tested my monitor in a different house (a friend of mine), with different hardware (different computer), and waves were still visible. Tested with DVI-D input.

In my friend's house, only DVI, but in my house with D-Sub too.

I have tested the issue even with different cables, and the problem persists.

My test results:
    20WGX2 with DVI cable (my computer) -> No waves
    20WGX2 with VGA cable (my computer) -> No waves
    2490WUXi with DVI cable (my computer) -> Waves
    2490WUXi with DVI cable (my friend's computer) -> Waves
    2490WUXi with D-Sub cable (my computer) -> Waves, but they are a bit more subtle

I appreciate your interest on my problem, but it seems my problem has no solution :( And I don't want to start a fight against NEC (I have made many calls to the service center and I'm so tired). According to the service center, the monitor was already "repaired" at the service center (french technicians adjusted some settings on the service menu)... Judge yourself.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  39. psyside

psyside 2[H]4U

Need this info as soon as possible!

Can someone please tell me what is the exact weight of NEC 2490 (boxed for shiping)
    There is 2 difrent weight listed on Newegg and Amazon, the first says (26 lbs) second (38)
    will have to get it via DHL or FEDEX cause the maximum weight for USPS is 20 lbs
    for International shipments :(

40. fss69

fss69 Gawd

I'm fairly sure it's the heavier listed weight of 38 lbs.