NEC 2490WUXi - The Full Story

Are you an european user? I have the same issue, but located on the left side (on my 2490 and on my old 2690 too), I only see the waves on middle gray backgrounds... Can you explain in more detail your problem? Thanks

Nope, USA user. It's just a single darkened vertical spot that starts around the middle over near the right edge, and gets a bit wider towards the bottom. I only ever noticed it on the gray screen LCD tests online. I much prefer this minor defect over dead sub-pixels in the center of the panel (did RMA twice for that, on my 3rd 2490). *shrug* What'cha gonna do no panel seems perfect, LCDs suck apparently.

But I just want to say this is a beee-autiful monitor, the above is nit-picking, though the price-point warrants nit-picking a bit.

Last edited:
Hmmmm... i'm interested in that problem too ...

I'm to buy the LCD2690WUXi-2 ... that "wavy effect" is only in gradients?
Well, in my experience, I realized the "wavy effect" on blue and gray backgrounds on my old 2690. On my current 2490, I don't notice the effect on blue backgrounds almost never (on certain blue patterns yes, but this is not usually) and on gray backgrounds always. The waves are more noticeable on middle gray backgrounds, i.e., with RGB codes 128,128,128.

Although I'm happy with my 2490 this is a bit disappointing. Bear in mind I've noticed this effect on 2 different models (2690WUXi and 2490WUXi), so I suspect it's a design failure on european models. If you're not european, I think you won't have this issue.

dude they did not change the fundamental design for europe. you got a different power supply, maybe a firmware tweak

I just ordered a 2690WUXi-2 .
So i will keep you posted.

At the same time, i received my i1 display 2 ... tuned my 2470WNX ... noticed the changes but nothing really big. I guess i had "an eye" to calibrated it.

Lets see the 2690 :)

Please keep us informed really need some information on the 2690wuxi2 cause 2490 is not
on stock where i live i might consider 2690 also want to know how does the monitor
act in movies, games is wide gamut so bad ? thanks in advance.

EDIT: Nevermind i just saw some pictures/compration wide gamut vs regular i'm now sure its not for me.

Last edited:
GOD DAMN! and i tought it was bad luck the shop where i ask for Nec 2490 told me
that Nec 2490 is no longer available for EU not till end of June..They offer me 2690-SV
but after some pictures i saw today i'm almost sure i can't live with wide gamut issues.
Really don't know what to do now!

HP-2475 = wide gamut
Dell 2408 = wide gamut
Dell 2209WA = small (after using 24/26 monitors i think i can't go for 22)
Nec 2690 = wide gamut

That leave me with no options at all! God! what to buy ? :mad::confused:

Im tellin ya...all the new *good* displays are wide gamut. We need a sticky thread that tells how to properly set one up in Windows 7 so we dont have the glowing neon colors issue.

Anyone know how to do this yet? Im assuming you will need to calibrate and generate some color profiles.

As far as i know calibration won't help dunno about profiles etc. I'm still noob
about monitors :(

Recently, Monitor guy contacted me and he said he's going to study my problem. He told me also if the service center on Spain is not going to help me, he'll do for me. Expecting news...

@psyside: I'm sure there are shops currently shipping the 2490. On Spain, at least there are a couple of shops with this monitor. Where do you come from?

just for the record, when i was ordering the 2690WUXi-2 i tried to ask for the 2690WUXi first version and the answer i got was

" It's no longer available, it was replaced with version 2 "

Really no options left (pulling my hear off) even if i'm waiting till end of June they wont
have it on stock 2490wuxi2 at that date i'm sure ill have to wait like 1 more month at least.
The problem is ill return my T240 (total waste) and won't have monitor to use :(
The only solution may be 3007 (not perfect but ok) the size is bothering me don't know
if i can get used to can't be more disappointed at this point had big plans for "my "
Nec 2490 :(

@psyside: I think you can buy the 2490WUXi from another country, in fact, from any european country, since the warranty is for all countries from Europe. The problem is shipping will cost more than normal and it may be that your retailer takes more time for the delivery. I know forum people from my country (Spain) purchasing monitors from Germany (for example). Try with www.alternate.de, it is a serious online shop and its deliveries can be worldwide.

@To albovin and another users:
I have contacted NEC Iberica (Spain) and they said me they're going to send me a new unit within 10 days. I will have a couple of days to study the new unit to search for defects. Also, I contacted the business department to let them know my complaint for the poor quality control of their products. Note that I have 2 products of this company, both with defects (the 2490 and a 20WGX2 with a dark blur on a corner) and a third product (the 2690) already sold for the sames waves and other issues. I hope they contact me soon and, if appropiate, they compensate me for all these problems in a some way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info man ;) can you please tell me what model are you getting sv or the regular and
how much does it cost ? final price with taxes etc, thanks.

Any differences between 2490WUXi and 2490WUXi2?

No one knows yet. It looks like a small drop in brightness, small improvement in contrast from what is revealed so far.

I expect it will remain sRGB.

So the big question is. A-TW polarizer? I fear it may be gone.

Reading the NEC Japan press release feels as though I am reading it for the original WUXi model.

Here's some links which might be related to this mysterious A-TW polarizer:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3 (pdf)

Edit: I've finished reading the last one. A+ would read again.

Last edited:
@psyside: The regular model, not SpectraView version. The SV version costs much more, at least on Spain, about 1400€ (no more money). I bought the "normal" version for 875€, including taxes and shipping on this SHOP. The web page is in spanish, of course. But try on Alternate.de dude, I asked him long time ago and they replied me they can delivery to Spain (and other countries), so my guess is they can bring you the 2490 to Macedonia.

About the color gamut of the WUXi2. It makes sense this version is still standard gamut. I don't think it will be wide gamut buf if it was, why release 2 wide gamut monitors which its differences are minimal, except the screen size (25,5" of the 2690WUXi2 and 24.1" of the 2490WUXi2)? If specifications are correct, it has a 75% of aRGB gamut (72% NTSC), practically the same of the 2490v1. But my 2 cents for this model will not have the A-TW polarizer (to save costs probably) like the 2690WUXi2.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info man ;) about getting the normal version, the price diference is 200 euros
guess its alot difrent from Spain.Thats to bad could save alot of money,when the price is
1200 euros already i will spend 200 euros more to get better panel ("hand picked") and with
the calibration kit get the maximum from the screen :) thanks about suggestion
one more time.

Last edited:
They cut the A-TW polarizer in the lcd2690wuxi2 for the same reason that it was not included in the lcd3090wqxi. Apparently green and red light can be emitted at an angle to which customers complained of in favor of a traditional polarizer stack. This is from a NEC-Display rep that someone was on the phone to (I think he is also active at dpreview).

the lcd2490wuxi2 might be exempt from this decision due to its smaller size. So, while we don't know the outcome of the decision, we do have an understanding of the reasons behind it.

See, i knew the A-TW pol stack wasn't manufactured by LG!

Funny, I was in the middle of that FAQ page when you replied.

Whoisthisreally said:
See, i knew the A-TW pol stack wasn't manufactured by LG!
I'm pretty sure it is. It has shown up in other monitors with LG H-IPS panels:

HP DreamColor LP2480zx
Hazro HZ26W and HZ26Wi
DoubleSight DS-263N (some had it, some didn't)
DoubleSight DS-265W

I guess it could be produced by someone else and put on by LG during the manufacturing process. I wonder what it is technically, and where we can get it separately.

He could mean LG.

It is ambiguous.

I'm not sure, but a Fab like LG Display would buy in bulk polarizers from a supplier which they press onto their own glass at some point during manufacturing.

Edit: LG Chemical is actually a large contender in the Polarizer market, so with respect to vertical integration they probably don't enter contracts with other suppliers.

Last edited:
ANSWER: It has been discontinued and is no longer available from the supplier.
If this was true I wouldn't have a monitor manufactured on february 2009 (week 7). NEC Support couldn't deliver me a new unit due to the "waves issue" because they don't have refurbished units of this model. Whether LG has stock of A-TW pols. reserved for new units of 2490, 2690 (it is still sold on my country, in fact, the 2 versions are available) and LP2480zx or NEC "lies" and gives a "corporate reply".

Good Find. I am pretty sure the supplier means LG in this case.

I guess that is going to make my 2490 a real classic. Hope it lasts until I can get a OLED.

If this was true I wouldn't have a monitor manufactured on february 2009 (week 7).

They will have a agreements to have parts for the production run, which appears to be up in june.

Last edited:
Back