NEC 2090UXi not properly going into standby

Biges

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi!

I have a strange problem with my new NEC 2090UXi. When the power time-out in Windows is reached, the screen just goes black, i.e. does not display any content, but the monitor backlight is turned on and monitor does not go into standby. When the computer is turned off, the monitor goes into standby mode properly.

Previously connected BenQ went correctly into standby mode when the time-out was reached. The graphics card is nVidia Ti4200 or something, it should work without problems. The drivers for NEC are installed.

The NEC does it whether the IPM is set to OFF, STANDARD or OPTION.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I noticed the screen displays "Out of range" information in the described case, not "no signal detected".

had a similar issue with a new HP ZR24W, when pc went on standby the display would blank out and never returned until next reboot...
thought it had to do with windows power management settings, but after a while this was repeated and the display would not show anything although it was ON and the led showed it worked properly as well as windows, as i had it in a dual display settup, showed the monitor existed and working. finally i had it replaced...

"out of range" window appears either if the vga card cannot show 1600x1200 (2090uxi native res) or it is set to display a resolution your monitor does not support (2560x1600 for example) so i'd check display settings in control panel and disable power management, just switch off monitor when gone.

Thanks for the reply, but that's not it. Maybe I didn't describe it properly. After moving mouse or pressing a key the monitor returns from sleep normally. But when the video card is going into sleep mode, the monitor instead of "No signal" shows "Signal out of range".

The video card going into sleep mode?? :confused:
I don't understand really, but anyway, it this such a big problem?

Myself, I don't use the standby mode on my monitor because I've read that CCFLs shouldn't be turned on or off to much. When I know I'll be going away for three, four hours or so I simply turn it off using the normal power button up front. For shorter periods of inactivity I let it stay on with a screensaver.

By the way, almost forgot, what do you think of the viewing angles on your unit? When was it manufactured? I bought a second 2090UXi this spring, manufactured in China march 2010. Obviously it lacks the A-TW-polarizer but it's more than that.. The vertical angle is quite crappy, it darkens quite fast. For instance, if I stand up one metre away, everything is fine (obviously). But then I take a step forward, the distance is know like half a metre and it gets dimmed from the bottom and upwards. :(
The horizontal angles are better though. But not really good either. Unfortunately I can't take pictures of it for the time being, might lift this thread with pictures in a month or so.

Last edited:
Well, it is annoyance at least.

My 2090UXi, manufactured... I can't find, but it is revision 1-E. It certainly has A-TW filter, so its viewing angles are perfect. I could check it side-by-side with my 2690 (also has A-TW) and Dell 2209WA (no A-TW, massive white glow).

But what you describe is strange, can you compare it with another monitor?

Back