Nearly settled on my build - please rate

CmdrRaven

n00b
Sorry if this is in the wrong place - please move it if so.

I think I've settled on a build. I've been researching a hell of a lot.

This will be primarily used for gaming, however storage of large files is not required as I have another box on my network taking care of that.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-I-Deluxe
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 low profile 1.35v
GPU: Asus Geforce GTX670 DirectCU II
PSU: Seasonic X-660 80Plus Gold 660W
HDD1: Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSD
HDD2: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
Cooling (CPU): Noctua NH-C12P SE14
Cooling (case): BitFenix Spectre Pro 230mm, Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM x 2
Case: BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX (white)
Fan Controller: BitFenix Recon

What do you think? Apart from some sleeved extensions and some cable management I'm just about ready to put through an order.

That's a big PSU. Big reason to get a prodigy is the big open spaces for watercooling. Someone said to me you could find smaller mATX cases... You could go a lot smaller. Especiall with no 3.5 HDDs or optical drive.

Any reason you went with two different sizes on your SSDs? Intel RST 11.6 allows full TRIM on any RAID volume, so figure that might help w/ responsiveness/throughput.

For 4GB DDR3-1600, I'm more of a fan of the Samsung ultra low-profile sticks which have been hitting massive clocks (check out the memory / OC subforums), I actually downgraded (sidegraded?) my main rig from a pair of GeiL 8GB sticks to those and have been cranking them with no mercy :D

Last edited:
I second the Samsung RAM instead of the Corsair. You think that Corsair is "low profile?" Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

660W is overkill even if you overclock.

7/10
Samsung RAM,G.Skill>Vengeance
7950>670
Bigger PSU
Cooling..dh-14,or water.

Bigger PSU

lolwut.jpg

I could pop that PSU,np.

With the parts listed in the OP (so aircooled), there is no way you could overpower that PSU. Even if you were running at 1.5v (which would cook that proc under air, btw) and OC'd the heck out of the gpu, no way you're going to push more wattage than that high end PSU could provide without breaking a sweat.

I run a similar OC'd system on a 450w psu with no issues at max cpu/gpu load.

I think you'd be better served doing RAID0 with two SSDs instead of having two separate ones. Unless you have some specific reason to split the drives.

Back