Nearly One-Fifth of the U.S. Can’t Watch Online HD Video

I'm just amazed you can even run a 240p youtube video, considering your boss house cat eats and needs, no, requires, all of your bandwidth. :D

Actually, only my netbook is able to run any stuff from Youtube because nothing else has Adobe Flash installed. I'd rather have boring Internets than exploited Internets.

And kitty only gets excited when he sees me looking at cat toys on Amazon.

This is the worst part of living in the country. I live within view of the North Dallas city lights, in NE Collin Co. for the locals, and I pay $75/mo for 3Mb/512Kb and I'm lucky to get half of that normally Here there are no options for fiber, cable, or even dsl. You can get dialup,sat, or the wireless I have.

Zarathustra[H];1039120891 said:
Maybe people shouldn't be streaming video at work... :rolleyes:

That's why I have a "special" list setup on my Cisco router that limits bandwidth for specific users caught using excesive bandwidth :)

Lack of bandwidth is one issue. But this isn't even taking into consideration all of the people running ancient single core XP shitboxes that don't have the processing power to handle HD.

The old single core P4/AGP system I had a few years ago had no problem playing back full 1080p video.
Of course it was overclocked at 3.8Ghz, with probably the fastest AGP video card available :)

Hmm same here. We have COLI and it is wireless to the house, and it is 6mbps max and we cant stream hardly. I never watch hd videos anyways, but I cant even download Windows 8 right now because it times the fucking connection out.

I am using the SDM from MSDNAA..

I'm sure that the FCC will continue to work hard to remedy this problem. The solution will involve taxes, I'm sure, just as they brought telephone service and electricity to the poor souls out in the boondocks who absolutely had to have these modern miracles to survive.

When given an option, I find that I can download a version of a video faster than I can view it, but viewing it acts like there's a bottleneck. So it isn't the internet bandwidth that's the issue. The client player is either badly executed or the PC doesn't have the CPU power to both do the download and play the video. In most cases, I believe the client player is just poorly coded.

Actually, only my netbook is able to run any stuff from Youtube because nothing else has Adobe Flash installed. I'd rather have boring Internets than exploited Internets.

And kitty only gets excited when he sees me looking at sex toys on Amazon.

I exploited your posts on the internets without using flash! :D

I exploited your posts on the internets without using flash! :D

Nooooo! I'm going to have to give my posts years and years of counseling to make them right again thanks to your evil exploitations! ... I guess I could just medicate and forget about it though. Where are those pills?

And kitty only gets excited when he sees me looking at cat toys on Amazon.

Or you could try running youtube in HTML5 instead of flash...

Zarathustra[H];1039125228 said:
Or you could try running youtube in HTML5 instead of flash...

I wonder if there's a HTML5 add-on for Internet Explorer 6 SP1

I work in streaming media and I see multiple problems that are laid out below.

1) The provider's pipe is saturated and they don't even know it.

2) Their server is being botted to death by valid and malicious search engines across the globe like:

Google, msnbot, Yahoo, yandex, exabot, bing, Gecko, discobot, skimlinks, baidu, daum, majestic12, larbin, metadatalabs, SemrushBot, AhrefsBot, scirus, ichiro, covario, alexa, ScholarScope, bixolabs, SiteBot, panscient, Nutch, archive.org and their internal Google Search Appliance.

Yeah. Parse your logs, people. Looking for connections to nonexistent PHP scripts is step one.

cat mylogfile.log | grep php | less

3) A router between you and the server is having issues.

4) Your router is having issues.

5) QoS is throttling you somewhere along the line.

6) Someone on your node is using Bittorrent to download the entire LOTR series.

7) The wiring between your node and your house is borked. When the cable guy checks he only checks between the node and their network. They never check between the node and your house.

8) The wiring under your house is borked. Took Comcast about eight years of us complaining before they came to our house and found the problem was the wiring under the house. Latency became lower, downloads became faster and our uptimes were better than ever before.

9) The wiring in your house is borked.

10) Your PC is unable to decode the 1080p stream fast enough so you experience extreme stuttering because it is dropping frames (per the H.264 spec).

11) They don't have a clue how to create proper streaming video. See also Vimeo. A lot of the professionals there encode to quality and upload directly. I do not believe that Vimeo transcodes uploaded content like Youtube but I may be wrong. Streaming video has to be encoded to bitrate. If you encode to quality (-qp 15 for example) you will get amazing spikes of data and then your player will starve to death because it is expecting a certain amount of data every second.

12) Someone on your LAN is using Bittorrent to download the entire LOTR series.

13) You don't have QoS set up on your router.

14) Your router is dying.

15) Your wireless reception sucks.

16) You forgot that you are still connected to your 3G network, which is saturated. Again.

17) Your network connection on your computer is not configured correctly.

18) Your PC has been pwned.

19) Your ancient 10Mbps Ethernet router is saturated.

20) Your cable is unplugged.

I've seen just about all there is to see in the past four years but every time I say that I see something new.

Zarathustra[H];1039125624 said:
So, you complain about flash not being secure, but you are running IE6?? :p :D

With service pack 1.

Not really, no... :)

I was just pondering aloud about that. Someone should do that though. IE6 (with service pack 1) could live a much longer, useful lifespan if it got a few updates like HTML5.

I work in streaming media and I see multiple problems that are laid out below.

1) The provider's pipe is saturated and they don't even know it.

2) Their server is being botted to death by valid and malicious search engines across the globe like:

Google, msnbot, Yahoo, yandex, exabot, bing, Gecko, discobot, skimlinks, baidu, daum, majestic12, larbin, metadatalabs, SemrushBot, AhrefsBot, scirus, ichiro, covario, alexa, ScholarScope, bixolabs, SiteBot, panscient, Nutch, archive.org and their internal Google Search Appliance.

Yeah. Parse your logs, people. Looking for connections to nonexistent PHP scripts is step one.

cat mylogfile.log | grep php | less

3) A router between you and the server is having issues.

4) Your router is having issues.

5) QoS is throttling you somewhere along the line.

6) Someone on your node is using Bittorrent to download the entire LOTR series.

7) The wiring between your node and your house is borked. When the cable guy checks he only checks between the node and their network. They never check between the node and your house.

8) The wiring under your house is borked. Took Comcast about eight years of us complaining before they came to our house and found the problem was the wiring under the house. Latency became lower, downloads became faster and our uptimes were better than ever before.

9) The wiring in your house is borked.

10) Your PC is unable to decode the 1080p stream fast enough so you experience extreme stuttering because it is dropping frames (per the H.264 spec).

11) They don't have a clue how to create proper streaming video. See also Vimeo. A lot of the professionals there encode to quality and upload directly. I do not believe that Vimeo transcodes uploaded content like Youtube but I may be wrong. Streaming video has to be encoded to bitrate. If you encode to quality (-qp 15 for example) you will get amazing spikes of data and then your player will starve to death because it is expecting a certain amount of data every second.

12) Someone on your LAN is using Bittorrent to download the entire LOTR series.

13) You don't have QoS set up on your router.

14) Your router is dying.

15) Your wireless reception sucks.

16) You forgot that you are still connected to your 3G network, which is saturated. Again.

17) Your network connection on your computer is not configured correctly.

18) Your PC has been pwned.

19) Your ancient 10Mbps Ethernet router is saturated.

20) Your cable is unplugged.

I've seen just about all there is to see in the past four years but every time I say that I see something new.

Here's my network: (click for bigger)

I feel like I've done a pretty good job with it.

I pay for 75Mbit down / 35Mbit up Verizon FiOS Internet. It tends to benchmark like this:

2117957435.png

I tend to ping ~18ms to my favorite gaming servers, and when I download from Steam, Microsoft and join largeish torrents I get speeds at or near my benchmark.

Netflix, streaming from ABC.com and such all work flawlessly.

This suggests that my network, and Verizons network are working well.

Youtube - however - never works well for me. I can never play a clip through even at low resolutions. I constantly get it interrupted, and have to wait for buffering to catch up.

This affects all devices and machines connected to the network in the house.

So this leads me to three conclusions.

Either:

1.) Youtube servers are overloaded;

2.) Something in my route to youtube is messed up, but this doesn't affect any other traffic
(though it looks good to me)

Code:
traceroute to www.youtube.com (74.125.226.229), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
 1  pfsense.precious (192.168.1.1)  0.909 ms  0.648 ms  0.781 ms
 2  L100.BSTNMA-VFTTP-103.verizon-gni.net (98.118.61.1)  5.797 ms  5.733 ms  5.640 ms
 3  G5-2-1703.BSTNMA-LCR-07.verizon-gni.net (130.81.109.74)  5.381 ms  5.373 ms  5.186 ms
 4  so-3-0-0-0.BOS-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.151.218)  5.071 ms  4.892 ms  4.836 ms
 5  0.xe-1-1-0.XL3.NYC1.ALTER.NET (152.63.20.69)  14.913 ms  14.818 ms  16.570 ms
 6  0.xe-10-1-1.GW13.NYC1.ALTER.NET (152.63.19.45)  16.511 ms 0.xe-10-0-1.GW13.NYC1.ALTER.NET (152.63.20.169)  17.224 ms  19.155 ms
 7  google-gw.customer.alter.net (157.130.251.62)  19.120 ms google-gw.customer.alter.net (157.130.249.6)  16.744 ms  16.616 ms
 8  72.14.239.248 (72.14.239.248)  18.870 ms  18.839 ms  18.778 ms
 9  72.14.239.252 (72.14.239.252)  16.454 ms  16.442 ms  16.432 ms
10  lga15s29-in-f5.1e100.net (74.125.226.229)  18.718 ms  19.415 ms  19.334 ms

- or -

3.) Verizon is filtering Youtube as a bandwidth hog and prioritizing other traffic.

These are the only conclusions I can come to.

Zarathustra[H];1039125754 said:
No! Just.. No!

http://www.ie6countdown.com/

Death to IE6!

I agree that it should die unless it has service pack 1. :cool:

Thank goodness for the People's Republic of China keeping worldwide percentages fairly high. I presume they're using the service pack since that's important to keep the computer secure from threats.

Zarathustra[H];1039125754 said:
No! Just.. No!

http://www.ie6countdown.com/

Death to IE6!

In all fairness, IE6 is better than IE7 or IE8 in all avenues.
IE9 is the first real web browser that actually had an improvement over IE6.

But yes, Skribblekat, you still use IE6?! Wow... :eek:

How? :p

7 had tabbed browsing...8 is way more secure, etc. etc.

Actually, I'm using IE8 on the computer that I'm typing with right now. You know the one. It's your favorite Compaq Presario with a 766 MHz Celeon processor. ;)

How? :p

7 had tabbed browsing...8 is way more secure, etc. etc.

IE8 secure? HA! That's the biggest oxymoron I've ever heard.

Actually, I'm using IE8 on the computer that I'm typing with right now. You know the one. It's your favorite Compaq Presario with a 766 MHz Celeon processor. ;)
You mean Celeron. :p
Bringing me back to 1999, it was a good year.

It was a wardrobe malfunction...no wait...keyboard malfunction. Like seriously, some of the keys are missing and I'm too lazy to replace it so I just poke the little rubber cap things which makes my typing on it like totally suck. The F and R keys are there but F is partly popped off and won't stay stuck to the plastic junk under it and R doesn't work well. H is totally hit or miss.

It was a wardrobe malfunction...no wait...keyboard malfunction. Like seriously, some of the keys are missing and I'm too lazy to replace it so I just poke the little rubber cap things which makes my typing on it like totally suck. The F and R keys are there but F is partly popped off and won't stay stuck to the plastic junk under it and R doesn't work well. H is totally hit or miss.

No no no no, this is a wardrobe malfunction:
mr-a.jpg

Back