NDS or PSP

Tha_Godfather

Limp Gawd
decisions decisions... i dunno which one to get still deciding.. im leaning torward PSP .

one thing i dont get is the PSP versions ..do u download that by going online? or do u goto best buy and ask them "can i get a PSP 2.0" or something like that?

whats the latest version for the PSP ..and the BEST version/?

PSP, I've owned both and like the psp best. I sold both a couple months back so I don't know if they have improved more after newer games.

What do you want in a handheld? Are you in it for only games? You want music and movies with games? etc...

The psp versions are firmware updates any updates can be downloaded or come with new games.

I'd suggest trying both. Try a DS game that makes good use of the touchscreen. Play one of the better PSP games. Ideally, use both for so long you get a feeling for the battery life.

Personally, I got a DS. No moving parts, longer battery life, cheaper, touchscreen. I'm not sure if it is better, but I do like it.

For the psp, latest version is 2.6, but the best version is 1.5 :D (for homebrew)

I love my psp, i tried a ds and the psp just blows it away.

For games, right now I'd say NDS
For some good games but better multimedia and stuff, I'd say PSP.

If I could do it all over again, I'd buy an iPod Shuffle and a NDS.

Mm, I went with DS because I want games, I dont need music movies and whatever else. The PSP game library was lacking as well...

i bought a psp with my christmas money and returned it 5 days lata, i bought the value pack and 2 games (NBA Live 06, NFS:MW) they were both fun to play and the gfx were amazing. Was it worth almost 400 bucks tho? HELL NO, i bought a NDS & Mario Kart and its 10x better. sometimes my freind brings his lil sis nds and we race or a group in my one class we race and talk shit.

I can't beleive people have to ask this question. Look at the two side by side and tell me.

Alias said:
I can't beleive people have to ask this question. Look at the two side by side and tell me.

I can't believe you can judge a game system by just looking at it, and not playing it. :eek:

That aside, I personally, went with the PSP. Mainly because I love racing games, and games like GTA, and that's where they're at. I don't take to the type of games that would use the touchscreen, and the games I like to play wouldn't be best for the dual screens. It really all balled down to that. There aren't many games on DS that excited me.

The PSP does a lot more than games. Videos, MP3s, wireless web browsing, pictures, and homebrew. Graphics are amazing, and at or near the PS2 level. On the other hand, the PSP also costs a lot more and so do the games. If you want to use the extra features, you'll need to buy a nice sized memory card too, or you'll be very limited. :p :(

If you want a system that's not too expensive, offers cheaper, unique games, I'd go with the DS. If you want a system that does it all, but don't mind the extra cost, and graphics are important, I'd go with the PSP. Just try em both out and you'll know once you played them. And no, just looking at them doesn't count. ;)

The PSP's are incredibly durable or have an outstanding warranty, because gameplay can consist of you just chucking the thing hundreds of yards away to some total stranger so they can play...unless the commercial is lying to me.... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, if you have friends with NDS's and play with them alot, get em....

None of my friends play anything, so I play on a PC because it is the best gaming experience for solo...when I move back home I'll get a console and play Madden or Halo because those games are fun as hell with your friends...(lans are too though)

Blakestr said:
The PSP's are incredibly durable or have an outstanding warranty, because gameplay can consist of you just chucking the thing hundreds of yards away to some total stranger so they can play...unless the commercial is lying to me.... :rolleyes:

LOL Sony's commercials are the stupidest commercials I've ever seen. They really need to just show what the freakin' thing does, and not some weird ass "wtf was that" stuff. Did you see the one with the dust balls and the one with the squirrels?

Sony even hired an artist to do PSP graffiti in a bunch of different locations... and now people are complaining about it. Good job, piss off your potentional customers by making big stupid eyesores. :rolleyes:

Matrox462 said:
LOL Sony's commercials are the stupidest commercials I've ever seen. They really need to just show what the freakin' thing does, and not some weird ass "wtf was that" stuff. Did you see the one with the dust balls and the one with the squirrels?

Sony even hired an artist to do PSP graffiti in a bunch of different locations... and now people are complaining about it. Good job, piss off your potentional customers by making big stupid eyesores. :rolleyes:

I did like the Hellsyeah one, just because it was like, "Hells yeah"

Blakestr said:
I did like the Hellsyeah one, just because it was like, "Hells yeah"

PSP... hells yea...

lol it is a catchy line. Atleast they actually shown the PSP in that one. The dustballs one didn't even have a PSP in it!

Tha_Godfather said:
what is homebrew

Homebrew is programs that are created by the gaming/programming community, and not Sony or anyone else "offical". It can consist of emulators, home made games, applications, tools, ect. You can make your PSP play old Nintendo games, Doom, Quake, and stuff like that.

You're not supposed to do it, but people keep hacking the firmware and getting around it. Sony doesn't support something like this because people also do it to play pirated games.

Nintendo really hasn't expressed much hate towards the homebrew crowd.

Even though I spent a total of 200$ to get my NDS homebrew ready, I don't regret it. Even though its still in its early stages.

Matrox462 said:

I agree with you, but you guys have to keep this in mind. In terms of sales, the DS is winning. Sony is simply trying to reemphasize that it is more than just a gaming machine, and appeal to an even wider audience.

LadyMakoFox said:
Nintendo really hasn't expressed much hate towards the homebrew crowd.

Even though I spent a total of 200$ to get my NDS homebrew ready, I don't regret it. Even though its still in its early stages.

I'll do that eventually but I want to wait still...here is an interesting thing my DS can do...I went to a McDonald's when I had just got Mario and start playing....they had one of those WiFi things you pay a few bucks to use...well I could use it for free...I guess it had something to do with the type of data stream I was using and it didnt' see it as a PC so it let me on or something...

I have a PSP and I'm enjoying it. Keep in mind that with a PSP you have to invest a bit of money beyond the system itself to get the most out of it. I bought a used 512 meg stick from a buddy and I have it filled to the brim with anime, photos, and music. That brings me to this point - the PSP might not be for you if you want it exclusively for the games. Unless you are a big racing fan there is a risk that you might not be satisfied with the selection of titles. Consider that SCEA is run by morons who want to kill off sprite based games. This means any number of excellent japanese titles will not see a translation in the States.

There is a game that I definately recommend - Lumines is a must buy for any PSP owner. The puzzle gameplay lays the foundation which is built upon by a second to none visual and musical experience. Back in the day I played the hell out of Dr. Mario and Tetris Attack, and I think this game ranks way up there with them. Even people not usually inclined to play puzzle games could very well be sucked in by the way the game looks and sounds.

Besides Lumines I own Wipeout Pure. I don't enjoy it as much as Lumines, mostly because I don't dig racing games much. However, the game will keep you busy for awhile, especially with the additional tracks you can download from the internet. Google for the Wipout Pure Gamma Pack.

i goes with teh DS..... simply cause of price..

if i could afoord the PSP i'd get it too... i think i would like the PSP as well

I bought a DS right after it came out. Played mario 64 a bit and sold the console & games on ebay. Bought a PSP the day it came out. 3 launch titles were fun, then Hot Shots Golf, then GTA...great stuff.

I bought another DS for my honeymoon to play Advance Wars DS. Then Mario Kart came out. Then Animal Crossing. Then I picked up Castlevania. Then I picked up the Mario RPG. My PSP sits and I'm playing the shit out of my DS. If you asked me today I'd say the DS hands down. I prefer many of its games to PC stuff these days. The wifi thing is flawless. Its an amazing machine; well thought out, well executed, and the games today are what you as a gamer crave.

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
i goes with teh DS..... simply cause of price..

if i could afoord the PSP i'd get it too... i think i would like the PSP as well

Another thing to consider as far as the price goes, is that If you're going to carry around a game system all the time, I'd go with the DS. I'm too afraid to carry around my PSP a lot since it costs a lot more compared to the DS. If I had a DS, I'd probably bring it with me more often.

And Sizer, you are absolutely correct. Lumines is a must own. I actually bought my copy *before* I had a PSP, because I knew it'd be great. :p Not to mention it was on clearance at Target, too.

If you want a "movie/music player that just happens to play some PS2-style games/ports", go with the PSP - especially if cost is no issue and you see portable gaming as a status symbol or a way to be "cool".

If you want a machine for JUST fun games, pure and simple, and especially want some fresh new titles, or simply just a better implemented multiplayer experience, go with the DS - especially if price IS an issue.

I already have an Ipod, so it was no contest for me. I don't need a "jack of all trades, master of none" type device, I wanted something to game on. And lately, the DS has been getting the best software out of ALL platforms, IMO (including the PC and consoles), and the most developer support, both current and the near forseeable future - especially compared to the PSP. That said, you'll still find more racing/killing games on the PSP if that's your thing, and if you're a graphics whore don't even look at the DS. PS - I wish I could find that old thread from a few months back... lol.

Opie said:
....I bought another DS for my honeymoon to play Advance Wars DS...

Is that what I have to look forward to in my future? I thought there were other activities one would persure on a honeymoon

*feels dispair of life creep upon him* :(

iight i have made up my mind, im going for the DS , because it is cheaper. ill get a psp later on whenever i get a chance. im going to get the BLUE DS with animal crossing.

Blakestr said:
I'll do that eventually but I want to wait still...here is an interesting thing my DS can do...I went to a McDonald's when I had just got Mario and start playing....they had one of those WiFi things you pay a few bucks to use...well I could use it for free...I guess it had something to do with the type of data stream I was using and it didnt' see it as a PC so it let me on or something...

McDonalds....Christ, not had one of those for years!! Let me know if you can play for free in hotels or airports, very intrigued!

I went to the local McDonalds and tried to Wifi connect with Mario Kart from the parking lot by the drive-thru. :D

I was able to see the Wifi network but I could never connect. Any tips on getting the McDonalds Wifi configured for playing Mario Kart? Dont have Wifi at home to know how its supposed to be configured to.

(Got a steal on my DS, my bro never plays his 1.5 PSP, plus the GBA port really helps with finding new games)

The PSP is a must, if you really enjoy racing games... I've got Burnout: Legends & Wipeout, they're both a blast.. however I tried NFS:MW for the PSP and was VERY unimpressed, the controls are way too sloppy and the game itself bears no resemblence to the PS2/Xbox/PC version.

GTA:Liberty City stories is GTA on the PSP.. it just works well :) The GTA engine ports well, it looks about the same on every platform I've played it on, the new missions are well worth it

On the topic of Homebrew,,, there is definatly some neat stuff out there, the emulators alone are worth the price, the SNES & NES ones really stand out for me (didn't really play anything older than an NES). Mario Brothers running on the widescreen has to be seen :)

The A/V Capabilities of the PSP are good, but unfortunatly I find the volume on the unit kinda low for say watching videos on the bus. I may try some good noise cancelling headphones or somthing

well , i own both , but my psp is the newest one so i play a lot with it right now.

it really depend on what youre looking to get .

DS:
-new way to play aka touch screen
-more good game ( mario kart , animal crossing ,castlevanania , lost in blue )
-quality of the product , you can drop it and NOTHING will happen... hell , i heard a guys dropped in a toilet and it was still ok after drying... but maybe it smelled after that ;)
- cheaper games ... but graphics are not on par with what the PSP can pull out.
- online is pretty childish , you cant connect to who you want on Mario kart... you just get to play with strangers mostly.
- GBA playback

PSP:
- great graphics ... one hell of a screen , looks very good.
- movie playback ... buy UMD and play movie on the go
- really fragile and load of dead pixel... youll need youre retailer warranty... trust me
- not a bunchload of games , but some great one ( GTA , Lumines ( dont skip lumines , best games i played in years) , Socom.)
- online feature looks more like a pc , you can choose who you play.
- hacking possibilities .. playing ISO's , playing homebrew games ( DOOM)
- internet browser ( dont bother with it , its slow )
- mp3 playback
- memory stick isnt cheap...

thats what i think...

now let us know what you think

I think the PSP is much better just needs to build up its game library.

Darakian said:
Is that what I have to look forward to in my future? I thought there were other activities one would persure on a honeymoon

*feels dispair of life creep upon him* :(

I should've added "on the plane." Dont fret.

I love my PSP, but the DS does have more games to choose from and is much cheaper. The PSP's video playback is great. I record a show or 2 on my 1gb memory stick over night and watch them while car pooling to work in the mornings. I also love having my music all on the same device.

The reason you guys can play your NDS at McDonald's for free is their partnership with Nintendo: http://www.nintendowifi.com/hotspots/searchHotSpot.do

Actually, it may be an indirect partnership. I believe Nintendo partnered with JiWire and Wayport, Wayport being McD's primary Wifi provider. At least, I think that's how it works.

Just a week or two ago, Reggie Fils-Aime had a promotion where he would challenge people at a McDonald's near NOA headquarters. He asked people who couldn't be at that McD's to connect to Mario Kart via worldwide mode to play online.

JCJones86 said:
Actually, it may be an indirect partnership. I believe Nintendo partnered with JiWire and Wayport, Wayport being McD's primary Wifi provider. At least, I think that's how it works.

that is correct..

i wish it would be at like a star bucks.. i don't want to go to mc donalds.. i dont' wnat to smell like fries and burgers..

i really hope they get a beter partnership with like coffee places or something better.. i don't know.. having it at Mc donalds is lame.. i hate that place..

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
i really hope they get a beter partnership with like coffee places or something better.. i don't know.. having it at Mc donalds is lame.. i hate that place..

Definately. I don't like fast food to begin with, except for breakfast (some places) and Taco Bell. Working at a fast food chain in high school gave me some, ahem, insight as to what fast food has to offer. :rolleyes:

If your a college student it will probably work out well, though. Most campuses are moving to offer WiFi nearly everywhere. I bought my NDS because I'm going to be living in Germany for the next four months. Luckily, our internet provider is giving us service via WiFi! :D

Sorry, getting OT. Here's back to the topic: NDS FTW!

Also from what I've read Nintendo will replace your NDS even if you have 1 dead pixel.

Also you can use your NDS at any free wifi spot, as long as your NDS is compatable with their connection.

Back